Elections Trump says Elon Musk has agreed to lead proposed government efficiency commission as ex-president unveils new economic plans

I'm not sure how efficiently those run, or how profitable they'd be without government aid, but as far as how he treats his workers I wouldn't want him making decisions on how our government agencies should be run. It doesn't seem to me that Trump is bandying this idea for any reason other than that now Musk likes him so he wants to reward him.
The idea of the department is a good one.

Someone like Elon, who built the largest data center in the world in 121 days, would be the kind of person who would be good to run it.

Do I want him to run it? No. Is he the kind of person who would be great? Yes.

Are people poo pooing this because of politics? Yes.

Nothing ever functions at total efficiency, least of all a government, which is not a profit making enterprise.

How about we actually DO cut back on some of the inefficiency WITHOUT CUTTING TAXES CONSIDERING WE’VE GOT HORRIBLE DEFICITS?
It's a reliable con. Politicians promise to cut deficits without raising taxes or cutting popular programs by "reducing waste," and people who uncritically swallow what politicians say have this idea that there's just this tremendous store of waste that would allow to that to work. The hard reality is that reducing deficits always requires tax increases, cutting popular programs, or some combination of the two.
We need more fucking taxes you fucking idiots, I don’t want to hear retarded conservatives cry about high taxes for billionaires while simultaneously crying about DEI when it’s the billionaire class pushing this shit.

Rich people are no longer an ally of conservatives. I don’t want billionaires using their disposable income to promote horse shit anymore.
Rich people remain major allies of "conservatives" as the GOP remains single-mindedly devoted to upward redistribution. But we do need more taxes if we're going to reduce deficits, which is the appropriate move at this time.

Sweet. One step closer to opening up hunting licenses to take out poor and homeless people.

The idea of the department is a good one.

Someone like Elon, who built the largest data center in the world in 121 days, would be the kind of person who would be good to run it.

Do I want him to run it? No. Is he the kind of person who would be great? Yes.

Are people poo pooing this because of politics? Yes.
Have you never heard of the DCAA, or the GAO?

I think people are pooh-poohing (spelling, bro) this because there's no evidence that Elon himself actually knows how to audit, let alone audit something as complex as a government agency.

?
Another government department taking in tax payer money in order to remove inefficiencies is a good one? The idea of the department alone undermines the whole concept
There are many such departments in multinational corporations which save the company far more money than they cost. How is that not apparent to you?

There are many such departments in multinational corporations which save the company far more money than they cost. How is that not apparent to you?
A country isn't a company and should not be ran the same
Creating a whole new department in this regard is not as simple as when it is done at a corporation or business. It requires funding, legislation, and more government. Expanding the government and its costs in order to fight inefficiencies seems counter productive. Choosing someone who benefits from government subsidies to run it also seems like a conflict of interest. Everything about this seems like a bad idea.

Hmmm normally when some one goes from the business world to government they sell their stocks so they can act neutral / unbiased.
I dont see Musk selling all is Twitter /Tesla /Space X - stocks.
Yeah, nobody in the government owns any stocks.

<Dany07>

Twitter and Space X aren't even publicly traded.

A country isn't a company and should not be ran the same
Creating a whole new department in this regard is not as simple as when it is done at a corporation or business. It requires funding, legislation, and more government. Expanding the government and its costs in order to fight inefficiencies seems counter productive. Choosing someone who benefits from government subsidies to run it also seems like a conflict of interest. Everything about this seems like a bad idea.
That’s a wild opinion.

Apparently the guy literally has no house and sleeps on his office floor for 4 hours per day. When Tesla was in frantic mode he was sleeping under desks and worked 20 hour days, 7 days per week.

I think he still has a crazy go mentality and up 20 hours a day, but added in free time now. Which is good, as reports say he doesn't spend much time with his kids.
That doesn't mean he actually does productive work, it just means he's an overbearing micromanaging egomaniac weirdo who knows his presence (doing anything or nothing) will "inspire" others to work harder or feel judged if they don't also sacrifice their real life for work.

How about this:

Is the government currently being run at 100% efficiency?
Still a weak response and a bit of a deflection that doesn't address anything in my post. 100% efficiency is a great goal but also unrealistic expectation. Whether I answer yes or no to that question doesn't undermine my view anyways so it's kind of pointless. No I don't think our government is operating at 100% but I don't believe this response would change that.

Still a weak response and a bit of a deflection that doesn't address anything in my post. 100% efficiency is a great goal but also unrealistic expectation. Whether I answer yes or no to that question doesn't undermine my view anyways so it's kind of pointless. No I don't think our government is operating at 100% but I don't believe this response would change that.
The answer is no.

There is merit to an interdepartmental agency, not accountable to anyone in those agencies, to audit for efficiencies and make recommendations to both the agencies and Congress so that they can be appropriately funded and managed.

We don’t even have layoffs in government roles. There is a massive amount of bloat and I feel strongly that because this was proposed by Trump and involves Elon that everyone on the left will automatically think it’s a bad idea.

ITT you have people who think that creating spaceX and Tesla was all due to government handouts JFC. The level of haterism here is too damn high.

Does anyone believe that this, from either Trump or Musk,

* is a genuine offer/proposal for anything that may resemble an efficiency commission that might help the federal government that may ever happen/work?

OR

* is something other than just shallow bloviating to score some political points with shallow idiots from one or both of the people named?

?

In other words, does anyone believe this shit?

The answer is no.
Yeah its an obvious answer. I don't think there is a government or even a company that exists that operates at 100% efficiency. It is a dumb question.
There is merit to an interdepartmental agency, not accountable to anyone in those agencies, to audit for efficiencies and make recommendations to both the agencies and Congress so that they can be appropriately funded and managed.
If there is merit, explain how. I personally don't see it since what it will require for this agency to get to this point will cause more problems with efficiency then it will solve. Just to get this department created could take up valuable time and resources of our government. Then on top of that you have to hope its correctly ran and does it job. If you think our government is inefficient and full of bloat, why would this department be any different?
We don’t even have layoffs in government roles. There is a massive amount of bloat and I feel strongly that because this was proposed by Trump and involves Elon that everyone on the left will automatically think it’s a bad idea.

They don't call it layoffs, they call them RIF instead. Maybe you should read up on this stuff.
ITT you have people who think that creating spaceX and Tesla was all due to government handouts JFC. The level of haterism here is too damn high.
Who cares what other people in this thread have said, you are talking to me here so address my points not theirs. Not to mention I didn't see anyone say what you are claiming here. I have seen others (including myself) correctly point out those companies take in government subsidies so maybe the head of that company should not be involved with auditing the government.

Back