Economy Trump calls for negative interest rates

I believe you're facile enough to believe that they are, but they're not.

A person can't be facile. Facile means oversimplified or superficially constructed. An argument, policy, or grasp of an issue may be facile. Like your view on public policy. It is facile. You are not.

As for your embarrassing flailing in this thread, you've been provided several instances, by several posters, of Republicans deriding low interest rates during the Obama administration. I provided you a list of three House Republicans - Scott Garrett, Bill Huizenga, and Kevin Brady - who introduced legislation specifically targeted toward boosting interest rates, preventing continually low interest rates, and requiring the Fed to only consider reducing inflation in the setting of those rates.

Take your licks, move on, and wait for a later opportunity to shit post insults toward the persons who embarrassed you here.

A person can't be facile. Facile means oversimplified or superficially constructed. An argument, policy, or grasp of an issue may be facile. Like your view on public policy. It is facile. You are not.

As for your embarrassing flailing in this thread, you've been provided several instances, by several posters, of Republicans deriding low interest rates during the Obama administration. I provided you a list of three House Republicans - Scott Garrett, Bill Huizenga, and Kevin Brady - who introduced legislation specifically targeted toward boosting interest rates, preventing continually low interest rates, and requiring the Fed to only consider reducing inflation in the setting of those rates.

Take your licks, move on, and wait for a later opportunity to shit post insults toward the persons who embarrassed you here.
Oh, yes, they can.

From the unabridged OED:

4.4 Of persons, dispositions, speech, etc.: †a.4.a Easy of access or converse, affable, courteous (obs.). b.4.b Characterized by ease of behaviour.

c 1590 Greene Fr. Bacon i. iii, Facile and debonair in all his deeds. 1638 Featly Transubt. 219 A young Gentleman of a facile and affable disposition. 1782 F. Burney Diary 12 Aug., My father is all himself—gay, facile, and sweet. 1844 Disraeli Coningsby iii. v, Manners, though facile, sufficiently finished. 1876 Holland Sev. Oaks x. 134 He was positive, facile, amiable.

This particular denotation was the one I was invoking:

5.5 Easily led or wrought upon; flexible, pliant; compliant, yielding.

1511 Colet Serm. Conf. & Ref. in Phenix (1708) II. 8 Those canons‥that do learn you‥not to be too facile in admitting into holy orders. 1556 Lauder Tractate 251 Be nocht ouir facill for to trow Quhill that ȝe try the mater throw. c 1610 Sir J. Melvil Mem. (1683) 103 Facil Princes‥promote them [Flatterers] above faithful Friends. 1648 J. Beaumont Psyche xvii. cxcvii, Alas, That facil Hearts should to themselves be foes. 1671 Milton P.R. i. 51 Adam and his facil consort Eve Lost Paradise. 1805 Foster Ess. ii. vi. 192 The tame security of facile friendly coincidence.

I was hoping someone would be stupid enough to bite on that. Of course it was you.

I do enjoy dispensing lessons in the English language to you, specifically. Your knowledge of our language is pitifully superficial, and wholly accessed through online dictionaries, while I read Shakespeare for fun.

Oh, yes, they can.

From the unabridged OED:

4.4 Of persons, dispositions, speech, etc.: †a.4.a Easy of access or converse, affable, courteous (obs.). b.4.b Characterized by ease of behaviour.

c 1590 Greene Fr. Bacon i. iii, Facile and debonair in all his deeds. 1638 Featly Transubt. 219 A young Gentleman of a facile and affable disposition. 1782 F. Burney Diary 12 Aug., My father is all himself—gay, facile, and sweet. 1844 Disraeli Coningsby iii. v, Manners, though facile, sufficiently finished. 1876 Holland Sev. Oaks x. 134 He was positive, facile, amiable.

1511 Colet Serm. Conf. & Ref. in Phenix (1708) II. 8 Those canons‥that do learn you‥not to be too facile in admitting into holy orders. 1556 Lauder Tractate 251 Be nocht ouir facill for to trow Quhill that ȝe try the mater throw. c 1610 Sir J. Melvil Mem. (1683) 103 Facil Princes‥promote them [Flatterers] above faithful Friends. 1648 J. Beaumont Psyche xvii. cxcvii, Alas, That facil Hearts should to themselves be foes. 1671 Milton P.R. i. 51 Adam and his facil consort Eve Lost Paradise. 1805 Foster Ess. ii. vi. 192 The tame security of facile friendly coincidence.

I was hoping someone would be stupid enough to bite on that. Of course it was you.

I do enjoy dispensing lessons in the English language to you, specifically. Your knowledge of our language is pitifully superficial, and wholly accessed through online dictionaries, while I read Shakespeare for fun.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

And this, the most unkindest cut of all - Kenny Florian

Oh, yes, they can.

From the unabridged OED:

You misused a word just hoping that someone would correct you so you could look up some obscure 1500s usage to totally pwn them for calling you out as semi-literate?

Okay, Jan. At least you have a better chance of redeeming your dignity in this appeal than in your general argument in this thread.

You misused a word just hoping that someone would correct you so you could look up some obscure 1500s usage to totally pwn them for calling you out as semi-literate?

Okay, Jan. At least you have a better chance of redeeming your dignity in this appeal than in your general argument in this thread.
Oh my, you've truly never opened a legit dictionary, have you? The primary denotation's usage examples don't go beyond the 19th century, either:

1.1 That can be accomplished with little effort; = easy 11. Now with somewhat disparaging sense. †Formerly used as predicate with inf. phrase as subject, and in phrase facile and easy.

1483 Caxton Æsop 97 It is facyle to scape out of the handes of the blynd. 1538 Starkey England i. iv. 133 As the one ys ful of hardnes and dyffyculty‥so the other ys facyle and esy. 1577 Holinshed Scot. Chron. I. 449/1 They‥thought it easie and facile to be concluded. 1641 Prynne Antip. Epist. 4, I gathered with no facil labour, the most of those Materials. 1676 Worlidge Cyder (1691) 236 The more facile making of the linnen manufacture. a 1703 Beveridge Serm. xci. Wks. 1729 II. 126 All other acts of piety will be facile and easy to him. 1856 Froude Hist. Eng. I. 357 Having won, as he supposed, his facile victory. 1876 C. M. Davies Unorth. Lond. 250 The work appears facile.

There's are two indicators unabridged dictionaries like the OED tag to flag that a word is no longer contemporary. In fact, one of them is attached to a sub-definition above. That usage doesn't carry it because it's quite relevant. While attempting to save face you've now revealed additional ignorances. Delicious.

Trotsky: "A person can't be facile."
OED: "4.4 Of persons..."

<{Heymansnicker}>

You should have stayed on the sideline. Takes your lick, move on.

Oh my, you've truly never opened a legit dictionary, have you? The primary denotation's usage examples don't go beyond the 19th century, either:

1.1 That can be accomplished with little effort; = easy 11. Now with somewhat disparaging sense. †Formerly used as predicate with inf. phrase as subject, and in phrase facile and easy.

1483 Caxton Æsop 97 It is facyle to scape out of the handes of the blynd. 1538 Starkey England i. iv. 133 As the one ys ful of hardnes and dyffyculty‥so the other ys facyle and esy. 1577 Holinshed Scot. Chron. I. 449/1 They‥thought it easie and facile to be concluded. 1641 Prynne Antip. Epist. 4, I gathered with no facil labour, the most of those Materials. 1676 Worlidge Cyder (1691) 236 The more facile making of the linnen manufacture. a 1703 Beveridge Serm. xci. Wks. 1729 II. 126 All other acts of piety will be facile and easy to him. 1856 Froude Hist. Eng. I. 357 Having won, as he supposed, his facile victory. 1876 C. M. Davies Unorth. Lond. 250 The work appears facile.

There's are two indicators unabridged dictionaries like the OED tag to flag that a word is no longer contemporary. In fact, one of them is attached to a sub-definition above. That usage doesn't carry it because it's quite relevant. While attempting to save face you've now revealed additional ignorances. Delicious.

Trotsky: "A person can't be facile."
OED: "4.4 Of persons..."

<{Heymansnicker}>

You should have stayed on the sideline. Takes your lick, move on.

Somehow you've managed to make this thread even more embarrassing for you.

giphy.gif

It's crazy how far he stretches numbers. He started with an exaggerated 28% and got it all.the way up to 42% with an anonymous source. {<shrug}

It's great. As he's speaking he realizes his initial lie doesn't sound big enough so he just starts rattling off bigger numbers

I don't see how it's still going. It's not even a controversial point. And the guy asked for examples and has gotten many. There are many more (Moore and Kudlow are good examples, given their positions and, ugh, influence in the party). Mick was here in the WR during the period when Republicans were claiming that low rates were going to cause inflation to soar any minute now (and many nutters were insisting that inflation was already soaring but there was a conspiracy to hide it). It's crazy how that's apparently been memory-holed. It would be more of a challenge to find an example of a notable Republican who commented on interest rates during the Obama years and was in favor of keeping them low.

Also Chris Christie said similar things in 2016

“This has been the most political Federal Reserve I've seen in my lifetime. Now, when they first cut interest rates during the economic recession and the crisis, that was the right thing to do. But they've kept those interest rates artificially low for one reason, and one reason only. Because they're trying to politically support Barack Obama and his agenda. And it's been wrong.”

You have a great memory so I figured you would remember this stuff happening.

I said this was during the Obama years when the republicans were calling everything “treasonous” Lol

The towel should have been thrown itt a long time ago.

What is negative interest rate? They pay me to borrow money?
Not quite. A negative interest rate in this context means that instead of getting positive returns on bonds, you will actually be paying the government for the investment. The point is to discourage saving and encourage spending. It's ideally meant as a hail Mary when an economy is tanking.

Last edited:
Cant say I think this is a good idea.

This is a move that struggling economies make, because it is not a good thing. Trump is obviously ignorant as hell and unfit to be president.

Well shit, I'd be happy to borrow a few million at negative interest rates.

1- Trump should interfere in the interest rate, who controls the interest rate is the central bank, and the central bank should independent

2- lower interest rate will weaken the dollar, but it will advocate people to invest or consume more

What is negative interest rate? They pay me to borrow money?

No, it costs you money to have bonds. You are essentially paying the government for the security. It would be like paying a bank to keep your money safe.

Well played. Shakespeare would be proud. {<redford}
Disagree. He was right about something in a thread where he was demonstrably wrong about something first. He was desperate for a win and his foil handed him one for nothing; now I'm going to nuke them both from orbit since it's the only way to be sure. Mind you, that does sound like it could be from a play, but that's not the same thing, is it?

I don't usually insert myself into the pedantic spat of others without an invitation, but this is an open discussion forum, so my take is that you should both be embarrassed.

Having a good command of the English language is a wonderful thing, and while it may be a predictor of better than average intelligence, it isn't near 100% reliable, and it also isn't necessarily the case that people with less learned usage have less intelligence, though there may sometimes be a connection. I try do it when it may be useful, or when it's clearly for laughs, and only very rarely and obviously is it a barb to thrust into my nemeses. Y'all have no idea how many bits of this and that I ignore every day on here. I hope when I do it people can see it's for something close to a decent reason. There's no need to be a dick about it and there's no need to double down on the dickishness just because you just got sonned yourself.

@Madmick is correct about this rather lame point of course. One can be facile in the same way one can be brilliant or dull. For his part, he's gloating over a point of usage that barely gets me out of bed in the morning. Worse yet, you've cooperated to completely derail the thread which has allowed Mick to escape any need to answer for his foolishness with the main topic.
--Captain Pedantic

Back