TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3 Discussion

Not as good as Season 1, but it tries to capture the same atmosphere and does ok in that regard. No where near as terrible as season 2. Skip season 2, it almost got this show axed completely because of how terrible it was.
Thanks, I'm gonna let it finish and watch it all in one go.

Season 1 was some of the best TV I've ever seen, season 2 was a fucking woeful parody of season 1. I only watched 2 episodes it was that bad

Aww, sucks season 2 gets so much hate. Was worth it for the memes making fun of Vince Vaughn's dialogue, if nothing else. "Life's like a box of chocolate? Well guess what Ray, we're all dogs. We'll die if we eat chocolate. Caspere knew this...

Anyways, can't believe there is only one episode left of this season. A lot if still up in the air.

Surprised no one has mentioned seeing Woody and Matthew on the reporter's laptop. So it does connect to season 1, to some degree at least.

Great season so far. Probably the best one yet.

Michael Rooker

Yeah the voice on the phone was him fa sho.

Ok. So the question is how does Hoyt show up at the Detectives door the very next morning already knowing everything..?

1. The wife is involved and called someone. (I don’t see it, but it’s one theory)

2. The other Detective (Dorfs character) called someone and will already be in the car (I don’t see this either. This is ‘True Detective’ the actual detectives in the story are legit imo)

3. The use of cameras at the plant/tracking device on the security guy (meh.. it’s possible I guess, but dumb).. Hoyt could have also had the detectives secretly tailed for awhile but that’s just stupid considering they took dude out into the middle of no where in the night. You can’t hide a tail in that circumstance.

4. Bad writing that turns the villains into all seeing all knowing beings without any real explanation. They just know stuff because, rich and powerful people are also psychic duh.

I’m rolling with 4 here because Pizzolato’s creativity is pretty basic and cookie cutter. As is I thought it was dumb as fuck to go this route. As soon as that phone call came in I was rolling my eyes.

The story so far this season isn’t all that great, and the way they’ve told the story hasn’t been either. This show is being propped up by solid casting, and good acting and almost nothing else. Kind of disappointing tbh

Aww, sucks season 2 gets so much hate. Was worth it for the memes making fun of Vince Vaughn's dialogue, if nothing else. "Life's like a box of chocolate? Well guess what Ray, we're all dogs. We'll die if we eat chocolate. Caspere knew this...

Anyways, can't believe there is only one episode left of this season. A lot if still up in the air.

Surprised no one has mentioned seeing Woody and Matthew on the reporter's laptop. So it does connect to season 1, to some degree at least.

Yeah, poking fun at the show was about all there was to do.

The spoof theories about Chad being the one behind it all were hilarious too..

Chad_Velcoro_3.gif

Ok. So the question is how does Hoyt show up at the Detectives door the very next morning already knowing everything..?

High odds theory: hoyt doesnt know about the murder, and is actually referring to something entirely different. I cant quite remember what he said on the phone (maybe he left zero doubt as to what he was referring to), but I've been trying to remember what other event occured the same day, that it might turn out he's referring to. Like Amelia talking to the doll lady, or whatever.

I fist pumped when Marty and Cole were shown, been waiting along time to see them again and had a feeling these two seasons could be connected. Looks like our boys whacked the guy who killed Tom, Lucy and Cousin O'Brien. I've been avoiding this thread because I don't want anything ruined but am looking forward to reviewing this thread after the series wraps up.

Also, I think we get Marty and Cole back for Season 4 hunting these monsters one more time.

1. The wife is involved and called someone. (I don’t see it, but it’s one theory)

2. The other Detective (Dorfs character) called someone and will already be in the car (I don’t see this either. This is ‘True Detective’ the actual detectives in the story are legit imo)

3. The use of cameras at the plant/tracking device on the security guy (meh.. it’s possible I guess, but dumb).. Hoyt could have also had the detectives secretly tailed for awhile but that’s just stupid considering they took dude out into the middle of no where in the night. You can’t hide a tail in that circumstance.

4. Bad writing that turns the villains into all seeing all knowing beings without any real explanation. They just know stuff because, rich and powerful people are also psychic duh.

I’m rolling with 4 here because Pizzolato’s creativity is pretty basic and cookie cutter. As is I thought it was dumb as fuck to go this route. As soon as that phone call came in I was rolling my eyes.

The story so far this season isn’t all that great, and the way they’ve told the story hasn’t been either. This show is being propped up by solid casting, and good acting and almost nothing else. Kind of disappointing tbh
I feel you but I disagree. The story is great and remembers, as cliche as this comment is, this is just a fictional TV series so there will always be some issues with realistic expectations. I expect answers next week including

1. How Will died.

2. Where Julie is and has been

3. Who else is connected to Hoyt.

4. More Season 1 connections.

5. Who killed Tom, Lucy and O'Brien although I think that's pretty obvious at this point.

Can't wait for the finale and then the count down for GOT fires right up.

High odds theory: hoyt doesnt know about the murder, and is actually referring to something entirely different. I cant quite remember what he said on the phone (maybe he left zero doubt as to what he was referring to), but I've been trying to remember what other event occured the same day, that it might turn out he's referring to. Like Amelia talking to the doll lady, or whatever.

He literally named the guy they just killed over the phone and said it was in regards to what happened to him the night before ‘as he understands it’

Was Harris James the dead suit guy together with the vietnamese that Hayes saw in his hallucination?
If Hayes showed remorse for killing Harris in his hallucination (which has been talked about earlier itt), why would he do so?
Is it possible Harris was innocent? Strictly speaking, we dont know if he actually killed anyone. Theres no proof that he killed Lucy, nor any confession from him. And we never saw him kill Tom, he might just have tossed him out of the mansion.

I dunno, I just have this weird feeling that Hayes conversation with Hoyt next episode will surprise us.
Another crazy (and maybe impossible) theory is that it'll turn out Dan killed both Tom and Lucy. The motive for killing Tom is obvious, and I think I recall something about Dan being in Vegas as the same time as Lucy? Maybe Hayes and Roland figures this out, and end up burying Dan in that quarry?
Might be a hundred holes in that theory though, I'm seriously hazy on the plot details at this point.

Last edited:
There isn't any. Nic already answered that one.
Sure there is. A real appearance by Marty and Cole would be another connection. Even mentioning season 1 content again would fit what I’m anticipating.

I'll have a good laugh if the moral of the season is that stupid conspiracy shit gets people hurt.

It had better not be though.

Sure there is. A real appearance by Marty and Cole would be another connection. Even mentioning season 1 content again would fit what I’m anticipating.
As I've said, the creator already debunked that on an IG post. That batshit crazy director's mention of it is pure conjecture. It's just an easter egg. Also debunked: Roland is gay, Becca's fate and the Yellow King debate.

Was Harris James the dead suit guy together with the vietnamese that Hayes saw in his hallucination?
If Hayes showed remorse for killing Harris in his hallucination (which has been talked about earlier itt), why would he do so?
Is it possible Harris was innocent? Strictly speaking, we dont know if he actually killed anyone. Theres no proof that he killed Lucy, nor any confession from him. And we never saw him kill Tom, he might just have tossed him out of the mansion.

I dunno, I just have this weird feeling that Hayes conversation with Hoyt next episode will surprise us.
Another crazy (and maybe impossible) theory is that it'll turn out Dan killed both Tom and Lucy. The motive for killing Tom is obvious, and I think I recall something about Dan being in Vegas as the same time as Lucy? Maybe Hayes and Roland figures this out, and end up burying Dan in that quarry?
Might be a hundred holes in that theory though, I'm seriously hazy on the plot details at this point.
I don't have any sympathy for Harris. He was clearly behind Tom. Not sure he killed him but had a huge role in making that happen. And most importantly he fucked with the wrong cops, which got him dead.

This has been a good season. Although figuring out Hoyt is the one pulling the strings was pretty anti-climactic, I like Ali's 3 timelines and trying to figure out what he knows, and what he's playing off as new news. The big bad is less interesting than the Dorff/Ali relationship

They showed Harris’ DOB as 1952. So he’s 38 in 1990. Lol!

latest

My guess would probably have to be 3, since there were only pagers at that time (otherwise he simply made them and called it in while being tailed). They wouldn't have to have followed them beyond the road where they pulled him out of his car, just saw that much and put two and two together once he didn't show up back at the Hoyt residence that night (which is seemingly where he stayed due to him being there when Tom broke in). Hoyt simply bluffed about having anything concrete to go to the authorities with in order to get him to comply to the conversation.

Back