TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2 Discussion v4: Finale Edition

Awww, man. Seeing Ray and Frank go out like that. I knew at least one of them would bite the dust, but damn. Really great TV this episode was.

I was hoping Ray took Burris out with him. I really hated that slimey fuck.

This ended up being a really good season in the end. Ray going back to visit Chad one last time instantly reminded me of Heat. Great nod to that film, indeed, Petey.

Incredible finale.

They went full noir at the end, real tragedy. 3/4 main characters didn't make it.

Ray giving in to temptation, going to see his kid. Reminded me of shades of Heat, for fans of that movie.

Paul Woodrugh Highway was a nice touch. Makes his line from the very first episode prophetic: "The highway... it suits me."

Frank's limp through the desert was haunting, from the get-go. You knew he was done.

Only Ani makes it through.

Everybody was on point this whole episode, gave some of their best performances.

One cool thing I noticed that I liked: the reporter who Ani gave all the evidence to at the end, in Venezuela, he was the same reporter that Ray roughed up in episode one, for Frank (while wearing the ski mask). And he was doing it because the reporter was going to write a report on Vinci corruption. I guess he'll get to write that story after all.

I'll have to watch this one a few times to let it all digest

Great stuff

i figured everyone would die.

i did like their deaths though.

gotta hand it to frank for going out having never been a punk bitch.

i expected more from velcoro with a hemi vs a suburban on the highway.

i suppose my favorite part of the whole show was the music.

there were too many scattered moving parts without a clear motive for each party involved would be my only complaint about the show. that and the fact they waited until ep6 to give any clarity to the still remaining blurry picture.

They should have inserted photographer guy somewhere between episode 3 and 8.

I even called Ray dying with a montage of us finding out he was Chad's Bio-dad.

What happened to the Chessani daughter? And did Tony Chessani really become Mayor? What were his qualifications?

The last couple episodes it mentioned that Tony had taken everything out from underneath his father

So fucking dumb.

The paternity nonsense, the cheesy fucking voicemail not getting sent, the dumb guitar lady still playing her fucking guitar in an empty bar.

Seriously, is she related to the director/writer?

How is she in every fucking episode singing generic backup music for Ray and Frank's emo chats?

I wouldn't call bleeding out on a salt flat, talking to yourself, going out like a boss.

Could be worse though. Seems light for a Mexican Cartel.

He would've probably died making the trek back anyways, but he died in his suit, insteading of being stripped like a bitch.

I'm pretty sure they were going to kill him anyway. I doubt Frank would die over a suit.

Watched every episode..... Reserved final judgement until season was over because there were some intriguing elements to the story and the pace definitely jumped up in the past couple episodes....

but holy shit, this season was awful altogether. only some people who were super infatuated with the 1st season would maybe blindly defend this fucking garbage show in it's second season because everyone knows the 1st season was lightning in a bottle in terms of acting, directing, and writing (aka, everything that was lost in the 2nd season)

Should've just gave the guy his suit.

I'm fairly certain he already knew he was a dead man, and wanted to die with a bit of dignity.

I'm pretty sure they were going to kill him anyway. I doubt Frank would die over a suit.

Agreed, it was pretty much a death sentence to leave him stranded out in the fucking desert, stab wound or not.

Last edited:
Nails is the shit.

Loved this season, obviously not the best thing ever made but it was still great Noir tv. Looking forward to seeing who they cast for season 3.

I was actually kind of pissed with how Ray went out. He basically just gave up. He wasn't doing that bad up to that point.

The shoot outs this episode were amazing. Frank and Ray dying gave me the feels. Really drawn out tension
Absolutely loved the episode, loved the season.. Can't wait to rewatch it start to finish.

That headshot in the woods was bamf. Good shooting by Ray, really wish he would h

Back