Training Bjj as a Judo Guy

My Master has only said that training in two arts is not an easy thing to do and that one should get their Judo Blackbelt before doing so, which I have done. Nowhere has anyone ever told me not to train BJJ.

Cool, then if he never said anything against training in BJJ, go for it. never mind the other BB.

It is about doing the right thing towards the instructor that did bother putting a BB around your waist.

the rest of the tribe can get stuffed.

This is how I have felt. but again I do respect those other blackbelts. I'm gonna go for it though!

In California we have gyms that offer blackbelts from BJJ and Judo teaching in the same dojo. Its BJJ class then Judo right after. The rivalry where i live is almost a moot point. If you want to wait til u finish school so you can dedicate more time to doing both. Training in both will improve you as a martial artist. Not as "Judo Guy" or "BJJ Expert". But to be honest with classes and studying, and your current Judo schedule i dont think you can dedicate enough time to BJJ to really appreciate it. Very cerebral at times.

You bring up an interesting point SuperGrappler. I was just thinking about this, and it seems like what I'm going to have to do is Judo 4X per week and Jiu-Jitsu 2x a week for 3 weeks and 3x a week once per month. I actually am pretty sure that I already "appreciate" BJJ a heck of a lot already for me to even consider doing this. Do you mean more like retain all of what I am learning?

You bring up an interesting point SuperGrappler. I was just thinking about this, and it seems like what I'm going to have to do is Judo 4X per week and Jiu-Jitsu 2x a week for 3 weeks and 3x a week once per month. I actually am pretty sure that I already "appreciate" BJJ a heck of a lot already for me to even consider doing this. Do you mean more like retain all of what I am learning?

Well yeah. Retain what your learning. If your going to school f/t which i am sure entails studying after lectures, labs for science classes, group projects etc.. then doing Judo 4X a week, and cramming in BJJ classes might be overload. Not trying to discourage you but just saying it seems like a hectic pace.

R U working or do you have nice parents? I suppose if ur not having to worry about living expenses then that may free up enough time for you to comfortably fit in Jiu jitsu.

Either way much success! Laters :D

Back