Training Bjj as a Judo Guy

neandtachiwaza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a Judo Black Belt and I have been wanting to train BJJ for at least a couple of years now. I am having a real internal struggle with the decision on whether to train BJJ or not. I have tried out a few BJJ schools, and found one that I would really like to train at. I really like the ground focus, and the attention to technique as opposed to explosivness on the ground. I really think that this would really help my ground game, as I find myself to be not up to par on the ground. I am a full time college student, and already train Judo 3-4 times a week. I have adjusted my school schedule so that I can also fit in 3-4 days a week of BJJ. Many people that I train with have a negative attitude towards anything that is related to BJJ, and I am wondering if this would cause some kind of backlash between me and the Judoka who Iv'e trained with for so many years. Any advise or experience with training two martial arts at once would be great.

I think it's a good idea. Maybe some Judo guys are negative about BJJ but I haven't really found the converse to be the case. BJJ guys seem to think that Judo is cool. You might have guys in BJJ class asking you to teach them throws when they find out you're a Judo black belt.

If you're worried about your Judo friends not liking you anymore because you started doing BJJ, well... are they really your friends if they do that?

This won't help you at all but I understand the struggle of being a student, training, and working.

I think it's a good idea. Maybe some Judo guys are negative about BJJ but I haven't really found the converse to be the case. BJJ guys seem to think that Judo is cool. You might have guys in BJJ class asking you to teach them throws when they find out you're a Judo black belt.

If you're worried about your Judo friends not liking you anymore because you started doing BJJ, well... are they really your friends if they do that?

This is really what I think about the situation, but some of the really high ranking people are especially anti bjj and I really don't want to have to deal with the dojo politics, but I think the bottom line is that I will AlWAYS be doing Judo no matter what else is going on in my life and whatever else I chose to do is my choice and I should not be looked down upon for training in another martial art.

This won't help you at all but I understand the struggle of being a student, training, and working.

No, It actually does help me, because i know that I will have to work even harder to achieve all my goals. This helps me truly take a step back and look at what I want to do with MY life and not what other people think my life should be!

I have had the exact opposite, people mocking judo and saying that its not practical and that its pointless because its easy to take judo guys to the ground.

Agreed, you should follow what you want, you are already a shodan? you should be able to make your own decisions.

This is really what I think about the situation, but some of the really high ranking people are especially anti bjj and I really don't want to have to deal with the dojo politics,

What do they hate about BJJ? this would help us, i had a similar situation

but I think the bottom line is that I will AlWAYS be doing Judo no matter what else is going on in my life and whatever else I chose to do is my choice and I should not be looked down upon for training in another martial art.

Same with me, but i like BJJ because its all newaza and some judo schools are mostly tachi. Also sometimes its good to spar with different people and different styles.

Would your sensei also get mad at you learning wrestling and sparring with wrestlers?

If it helps anything, we have a judo guy train with us, and this other judo guy our bb says is world class, brought his young students to train bjj at our place

No, It actually does help me, because i know that I will have to work even harder to achieve all my goals. This helps me truly take a step back and look at what I want to do with MY life and not what other people think my life should be!

I respect that my friend!

Judo guys are cool. We all come to class to learn. I would be picking your brain all the time if you came to my school. We have a few judo black belts, some brown, and kids that have green, yellow, and orange.

So, imho, it won't be a problem with the bjj guys. "Other people looking down on you" ???? Really???

Open minded people make the best training partners.

Wow -- I really don't understand why you would be looked down on for cross training. All the places I've trained at (BJJ and judo) are very welcoming of people training both, at different schools. I think it's universally agreed that it makes you more complete as a grappler. Maybe you could better describe what the issues are -- do they not like the idea of training at other academies? Do they not like BJJ as an art? Do they not like the BJJ culture? Does your judo club have a heavy newaza focus and feel like their ground game is complete?

Outside of the dislike within the BJJ community for judo tournament rules, I think you will find BJJers to think highly of judo.

what you do outside the Judo club is not of their business!

I thought the BJJ guys were freak when it comes to club loyalty.

No idea you suffer the same in Judo.

I have a few Judo BB in my BJJ club and we all happy to have them around.

Actually, my instructor offers the option of wearing a blue belt if you are a Judo BB.

However, no one ever took the above option.

Yes I am a Shodan. We have had BJJ people train with us and many Judo players seem to get annoyed at the fact that BJJ peole don't go for pins. Also many people mock BJJ guys for not doing kata. The way that BJJ guys crouch when doing tachi waza is also fequently discussed. I have always had an open mind about other martial arts and many people I train with are not that way. It all probaly sounds kind of silly, and I really would like to just not have to deal with all the remarks. I think this is all just a manifestation of the BJJ vs. Judo rivalry thing that for some reason has to go on, and I don't like all the negativity. You said you had a similar situation, could you explain it in detail please?

Yes I am a Shodan. We have had BJJ people train with us and many Judo players seem to get annoyed at the fact that BJJ peole don't go for pins. Also many people mock BJJ guys for not doing kata. The way that BJJ guys crouch when doing tachi waza is also fequently discussed. I have always had an open mind about other martial arts and many people I train with are not that way. It all probaly sounds kind of silly, and I really would like to just not have to deal with all the remarks. I think this is all just a manifestation of the BJJ vs. Judo rivalry thing that for some reason has to go on, and I don't like all the negativity. You said you had a similar situation, could you explain it in detail please?

that is fucked up.

How can they get annoyed at people for not going for pin?

Kata? weirder.

crouch in tachi waza! that I can understand. are you actually allowed to crouch in Judo?

But ye, my local MA shop is owned by a Judoka and he is always talking down on BJJ.

He asked me: "Ah! BJJ guy, how is training?"
I replied "good, just had a competition last week, 150 people competed".

then he get all pissy because it seems BJJ is getting more popular and more people are training that Judo.

Just a sad attitude.

Well hopefully the fact that you're already a shodan in Judo means your Judo mates will spare you the negative comments about how BJJ sucks and Judo is superior. Because you already know Judo, you don't need to be convinced of this.

I agree that It all sounds kind of wierd, and I'm getting the impression that my school must be very traditional compared to the norm. Another thing is that a long time ago we had student that got into an argument with other people because he was training bjj, and he ended up leaving our school. He was not a black belt, yet this still irks me. Do you guys think that me training BJJ could possibly cause anything as bad as this?

Well hopefully the fact that you're already a shodan in Judo means your Judo mates will spare you the negative comments about how BJJ sucks and Judo is superior. Because you already know Judo, you don't need to be convinced of this.

I'm not really worried so much about my Judo buddies as I am with the highest ranking Judokas at the club, but I see your point.

I don't mean to bash your school, but my god they are close minded.

Regarding the pins though, I think you will find the opposite disdain in BJJ. Although BJJ tends to look up to the "solidness" of the judoka's top game, pinning indefinitely is generally looked down upon as the ultimate goal is to submit, not hold your opponent down. It's kind of like being constantly defensive and breaking grips in a judo match with no intent on attacking.

As far as their other issues... I'm not sure what to say. It's just sad... Most judo schools don't even train kata (or keep it to a bare minimum) -- I assume they look down on those as well?

Crouching after getting grips I can understand somewhat (if you aren't crouched before getting grips though you'll get dropped by a wrestler), but even that has it's purpose (better transition to the ground; better defense against wrestlers, who are more common than judoka in BJJ competition). Besides, mocking BJJers for having lousy standup is like mocking judo for having a poor guard game (and having an even worse striking game) -- it's just not what the art is about.

Are you sure that they will have issues with you cross training? Do they recognize the benefits? Would it apply to you since you know how to pin/throw, etc.?

Back