News Tom Aspinall reveals torn MCL and meniscus in UFC London loss to Curtis Blaydes

All the sherdoggers with their medical degrees are out in this one. I'm not surprised. We are all 6'6, fucking jacked, and medical doctors/genius'.

Heal up Tom, you handsome son of a bitch.

MCL is like a 3 month return to play at most, where as ACL is about 12 months.

Honestly, he carried on a bit like a soccer player for the injury he's ended up sustaining.

Uber alpha male-barbarian Thiago Santos did his MCL and ACL in one knee and MCL in the other vs Jon Jones and didn't appear to bat an eyelid.

Well there is still undefeated Romanov and Sergey Pavlovich

Tom Brady believes so. He believes yoga, flexibility etc is crucial.

How late will he be out for?

MCL-Surgery.png

Lateral meniscus alone is probably around 6-9 months. Then again hell probably get good doctors. If everything's smooth, first or second quarter of 2023 would be my guess.

Honestly, he carried on a bit like a soccer player for the injury he's ended up sustaining.

Uber alpha male-barbarian Thiago Santos did his MCL and ACL in one knee and MCL in the other vs Jon Jones and didn't appear to bat an eyelid.
Torn MCL with surgery takes 9-12 months if surgery is needed.

Knee injuries aren't as career-ending as they were 10 years ago, but how does the UFC ensure their rising stars make full recoveries?

A botched recovery can ruin a athletes career overnight

I've seen it happen in NBA, NFL, and mostly UFC where fighters keep getting injured

And either they come back too early, go to bad surgeons, or don't take proper precautions

look what the knee stuff did to cain. that seriously sucks for him, hope it doesn't derail his career.
Cain didn't take proper care of his body and just kept hammering away hoping surgeries would just fix his problems

And his notoriously dangerous trainers

You can think it's bullshit, or you can try and figure out ways so you don't damage your knees off a kick, jump, miss-step. Injuring your knee from simple movements is not "for the win".

Dude, you totally didn't understand my post. Kneesovertoes guy is this dude here that promotes functional exercises for the knees

Every knee ligament injury is different. Some guys can function well for awhile without even realizing it's a serious injury.

If I had to guess, the extreme reaction was from the meniscus, not the MCL, which can take some time to really feel. Tom most definitely was in some serious pain in that moment.

Dude, you totally didn't understand my post. Kneesovertoes guy is this dude here that promotes functional exercises for the knees

My bad I thought it was a sarcastic comment about stretching lol. Just watched the video and those are legit exercises to help strengthen the knee and everything around it that supports the knee.

Check kneesovertoesguy on YouTube for well-known rehab/prehab/pt exercises. I don’t know enough about him to comment but he has been recommended by people I trust.
Yeah someone just posted a video for me. From what I've seen what he's showing is legit. Those are great ways to help strengthen the knee and joints.

God damn that sucks but was expected. Hope he heals up proper and is back kicking ass next year.

He has torn MCL, meniscus and ACL damage

Tom has 3 issues
Torn MCL with surgery takes 9-12 months if surgery is needed.
Lateral meniscus alone is probably around 6-9 months. Then again hell probably get good doctors. If everything's smooth, first or second quarter of 2023 would be my guess.

Plus a torn MCL and damaged ACL

My guess is 6 to 8 months to heal. Then 3 months needed for training camp. But I expect he may gain some weight during lay off so a camp may need to be 4 or 5 months

When i was 32 around 7 years ago i couldnt get out of bed due to having gout in one knee. I somehow made it to doctors who told me to go have a scan at local hospital. Turned out years of sport, lifting weights, running and labouring left me with arthritis in my knees. Only physio i done was strengthening the muscles around my knees. I struggle to get into really low squat position(but also have screws in my metatarsal and had to have my heel snapped, straightened and pinned, which also isnt still right). Started MMA at 30, gave it up at 36 but was always hoping to get back to it, seems a pioe dream now. Anyway never heard of strengthening ligaments and tendons specifuc exercises. Maybe somebody can fill me in on this :) knees are a bastard when they go, really hampers your movement!!

Hopefully since not a full acl tear he can make a good recovery back to 100%

@ChimRichalds About 10 months ago I took my son to his basketball game, its for 16-20 year olds only.. and there was some kid there who did a basic pass and he fell on the floor in agony, it looked like nothing happened at all, it was just a short simple pass (was no slam dunk or any big movement like that) , anyways he was in so much pain, but it looked so insignificant the way it happened, you wonder how it could happen. This kid was very fit too, I believe he was 19 and he was a good athlete.. anyways a few weeks after my son told me that kid tore his ACL and it was a very bad tear and is having surgery.

You are right, You often can't see ligament damage in situations like that

Back