To the Athlete burning out on SS/SL5x5

I'd rather show you where it says you are doing 5 sets of 5 reps each day rather than one set of 5 reps.

You'd do better off slowly reading the OP to yourself several times and see if you are still can find where I said it's 5x5 sets across.

Now, for anyone else who isn't Oblivious

Ramping the weights
As a rule of thumb you should go up in weight 10-15% between sets. However, the first set should not be so light as to be almost useless. If the top set weight is too low this can be avoided by repeating the initial weight for the second and maybe even the third set. For example, if 135 pounds is to be used as the heaviest weight on the final set then the first, second and third sets might all be at 115 pounds. The fourth would be at 125, and then 135 for the final. Also, if you are moving considerable weight on the top set, the jumps might have to be larger. A good rule of thumb is to never use more than 135 pounds for the first set, no matter how heavy the final

You'd do better off slowly reading the OP to yourself several times and see if you are still can find where I said it's 5x5 sets across.

Now, for anyone else who isn't Oblivious

Lol - that is still 5 working sets of 5 reps. The more you talk, the better this gets.

Lol - that is still 5 working sets of 5 reps. The more you talk, the better this gets.

Shh baby it's okay to admit that you're wrong. The only work set is the top set of 5.

I love how you edited this to call me a Nimrod then edited back to match what I quoted. Dude you're a joke.

couldnt see myself doing power cleans that much while fitting in mma boxing wrestling and jiu jitsu

couldnt see myself doing power cleans that much while fitting in mma boxing wrestling and jiu jitsu

If you know how to do them, you can do them on light day instead do BB rows in the plug in at the end.

The reason why Starr wrote it out this way is because he felt it would be too difficult to teach kids how to perform DLs properly. If you know how to DL, you can replace the PC with with.

If you have someone cleaning a top set of 225 lbs for 5, I'd love to hear you tell them that the set of 200 doesn't count for anything.

Sets of 5 across cleans for the long term is not a good way to improve your clean.

If you have someone cleaning a top set of 225 lbs for 5, I'd love to hear you tell them that the set of 200 doesn't count for anything.

Doesn't really until you hit the top set and hit the tonnage PR for the week to disrupt homeostasis.

But it's okay, you know better than Bill Starr and the thousands of coahes who use this program for the past 40 years until today without modification.

Care to share some of your coaching success with us, Oblivious? Any meets of note you ranked in?

As stated above you can do sets of 3 and it wouldn't make a difference. Anyway, I'm trying to see if you ever posted a log here cuz I want to see what your top numbers were.

Doesn't really until you hit the top set and hit the tonnage PR for the week to disrupt homeostasis.

But it's okay, you know better than Bill Starr and the thousands of coahes who use this program for the past 40 years until today without modification.

Care to share some of your coaching success with us, Oblivious? Any meets of note you ranked in?

There is a reason he wrote "Each day you do five sets of five reps of each Power Clean...." as well as "the first set should not be so light as to be almost useless". You are performing 5 sets of 5 reps, plain and simple. With a lift like power cleans, which many can't do for shit, they'll be using light weight going up to 5 reps. If 225 lbs x 5 is their top set, you better damn well believe 200 lbs is a working set. My top set of squats for 5 is 435 lbs. Is 395 lbs x 5 not a working set for me?

As stated above you can do sets of 3 and it wouldn't make a difference. Anyway, I'm trying to see if you ever posted a log here cuz I want to see what your top numbers were.

I'm glad to see it triggers you so much that I don't agree with power cleans for sets of 5 week after week.

I'm glad to see it triggers you so much that I don't agree with power cleans for sets of 5 week after week.
Nope. You can do top sets of 5 or 3 and it won't matter to the proogram.

There is a reason he wrote "Each day you do five sets of five reps of each Power Clean...." as well as "the first set should not be so light as to be almost useless". You are performing 5 sets of 5 reps, plain and simple. With a lift like power cleans, which many can't do for shit, they'll be using light weight going up to 5 reps. If 225 lbs x 5 is their top set, you better damn well believe 200 lbs is a working set. My top set of squats for 5 is 435 lbs. Is 395 lbs x 5 not a working set for me?

Nope. It will not disrupt homeostasis. Maybe 5x5 across at 395 but not 1 set

Nope. It will not disrupt homeostasis. Maybe 5x5 across at 395 but not 1 set

You are literally saying a set at 90% is not a working set. Wow.

You are literally saying a set at 90% is not a working set. Wow.

A set of 90% of 85%? So basically 5 reps at 70-75% 1rm? NO I DO NOT THINK IT WILL. It's ridiculous to even suggest that.

A set of 90% of 85%? So basically 5 reps at 70-75% 1rm? NO I DO NOT THINK IT WILL. It's ridiculous to even suggest that.

I don't think you understand the terms "working set" or "top set". I literally just said "my top set of 5 for squats is 435 lbs". My top set would be the same as what I use for my last set on heavy day. My set before that could be 395 lbs x 5 since 435 lbs x 5 would be within the 10-15% increase as prescribed by the program. You literally just said 395 lbs x 5 wouldn't be a working set. That's absurd for multiple reasons. The most glaringly obvious is that it would be a taxing set at an RPE of around 8 (a high 8 honestly). What makes it even funnier is that it would be the same weight to use for my top set of medium day and heavier than anything I use on light day. So according to your own logic, I'm literally only doing one working set (435 lbs x 5) throughout the 15 sets of squats that I do that week.

I'm not some newb to ramping or using the same weight straight across. I realize this program ramps at a fairly steep angle meaning the early sets are very light. The bottom line is that you are going to be using working weight prior to that top set. As I mentioned, if we use 435 lbs x 5, it's insane to act like 395 lbs x 5 isn't a working weight. It's going to be your top set on a medium day. If I have a day where I'm specifically going for a new 5RM, I'm probably going to run singles past 345 lbs until I reach my top set. Why? Because sets of 5 @ 345 lbs are still work to me. Ramping 5's such as 345, 365, 385, 405, 425 is going to feel very similar to 385 lbs for 5 sets of 5. And yes, that 345 lbs and 365 lbs set added to the volume fatigue.

I don't know how you can't see the point with power cleans. Oly lifts or their power variations aren't going to be programmed for multiple sets of 5 week in and week out. The last thing I'd want to do to see progress in power cleans is just nail out 5 sets of 5 three days a week without variation. Oly lifts and their power variations are a completely different animal.

I don't think you understand the terms "working set" or "top set". I literally just said "my top set of 5 for squats is 435 lbs". My top set would be the same as what I use for my last set on heavy day. My set before that could be 395 lbs x 5 since 435 lbs x 5 would be within the 10-15% increase as prescribed by the program. You literally just said 395 lbs x 5 wouldn't be a working set. That's absurd for multiple reasons. The most glaringly obvious is that it would be a taxing set at an RPE of around 8 (a high 8 honestly). What makes it even funnier is that it would be the same weight to use for my top set of medium day and heavier than anything I use on light day. So according to your own logic, I'm literally only doing one working set (435 lbs x 5) throughout the 15 sets of squats that I do that week.

I'm not some newb to ramping or using the same weight straight across. I realize this program ramps at a fairly steep angle meaning the early sets are very light. The bottom line is that you are going to be using working weight prior to that top set. As I mentioned, if we use 435 lbs x 5, it's insane to act like 395 lbs x 5 isn't a working weight. It's going to be your top set on a medium day. If I have a day where I'm specifically going for a new 5RM, I'm probably going to run singles past 345 lbs until I reach my top set. Why? Because sets of 5 @ 345 lbs are still work to me. Ramping 5's such as 345, 365, 385, 405, 425 is going to feel very similar to 385 lbs for 5 sets of 5. And yes, that 345 lbs and 365 lbs set added to the volume fatigue.

I don't know how you can't see the point with power cleans. Oly lifts or their power variations aren't going to be programmed for multiple sets of 5 week in and week out. The last thing I'd want to do to see progress in power cleans is just nail out 5 sets of 5 three days a week without variation. Oly lifts and their power variations are a completely different animal.

Big post that says a lot of nothing.

Didn't you just discover who Glenn Pendlay was this last year? Keep educating us on how we should all train.

Didn't you just discover who Glenn Pendlay was this last year? Keep educating us on how we should all train.
No. I posted my collection of posts spanning 5+ years in a thread here, this year.

Keep missing

Back