To the Athlete burning out on SS/SL5x5

Lip

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey fucko!

giphy.gif

Yes you, the dude who's arm bar I can curl out of.

I saw your post and your Uncle Lip decided to help you out.

Here's something you probably figured out: You gonna die on SS and frequent MA training/sparring unless you are a no life having loser with no responsibilities AT ALL besides making sure you can eat and sleep enough.

That is the facts. (come the fuck at me)

So what should do?

QTbd4oQ.gif

Pictured: Your Jewish Savior

Bill Starrs Big Three Program

The basic program is relatively simple and can be used by a novice or an intermediate. The intended audience/trainee is that of an athlete. Specifically, a football player. However, what works for them can certainly be applied to others. The program can be followed for a long time, from entry level novice status well into the intermediate stage. There will be some slight changes along the way to help with this progression. I will discuss those later.

It's performed on three non-consecutive days per week. Each day you do five sets of five reps of each Power Clean, Bench Press, Squat. The weights are (generally, some exceptions apply) ramped up as you go from set to set. Intensity is varied day to day in the order of heavy, light, medium.

Heavy.
The top set should be as much as you can handle with good form.
Power Clean 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Squat 5x5

Light.
The top set should be 80% of what you used on Day One's
Power Clean 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Squat 5x5 (full weight front squats an acceptable substitute)

Medium. The top set should be 90% of what you used on Day One's
Power Clean 5x5
Bench Press 5x5 (full weight standing press an acceptable sub that I strongly recommend)
Squat 5x5

Ramping the weights
As a rule of thumb you should go up in weight 10-15% between sets. However, the first set should not be so light as to be almost useless. If the top set weight is too low this can be avoided by repeating the initial weight for the second and maybe even the third set. For example, if 135 pounds is to be used as the heaviest weight on the final set then the first, second and third sets might all be at 115 pounds. The fourth would be at 125, and then 135 for the final. Also, if you are moving considerable weight on the top set, the jumps might have to be larger. A good rule of thumb is to never use more than 135 pounds for the first set, no matter how heavy the final.

You add weight to the bar every week. There is no hard and fast rule for how much to add. Your training history, current abilities, difficulty the previous work and the exercise in question all play a roll. For most people 2.5-5 pounds for the bench press and power clean and 5-10 pounds for the squat will be the norm.

You should not need to rest very long between most sets. You may take additional rest, say 3-5 minutes, before attempting the final set.

I can't do powercleans... what do?

Bent over rows for light day, 3x5 , RDLs/SLDLs on medium day, 3x5 and DLs on heavy day 1x5 (ramping to a top set)

So there you have it. The routine you were looking for.

Last edited:
Good post! Any baker has been all about the hlm routines too and they talk about the starr method in practical programming

~DaViD~

Good post! Any baker has been all about the hlm routines too and they talk about the starr method in practical programming

~DaViD~

Yes but he trypically programs more volume via flat sets across I feel the higher intensity/lower volume approach Starr took is better for athletes, as opposed to Andy Baker's strength athlete programming.

You can do

3x8 week 1

3x5 week 2

3x3 week 3

3x10 deload week 4

Yes but he trypically programs more volume via flat sets across I feel the higher intensity/lower volume approach Starr took is better for athletes, as opposed to Andy Baker's strength athlete programming.

You can do

3x8 week 1

3x5 week 2

3x3 week 3

3x10 deload week 4
The ones I've seen are pretty similar to starrs except he adds three or four backoff sets of 95% on heavy day. So yah that is a bit more volume actually.

~DaViD~

I find it interesting that every single time someone wants a spoon fed program, or thinks they can "outsmart" nature, the conversation will always lead to focusing on compound movements with patient and purposeful progression on the bar.

I find it interesting that every single time someone wants a spoon fed program, or thinks they can "outsmart" nature, the conversation will always lead to focusing on compound movements with patient and purposeful progression on the bar.

Right. Some people just need a lower volume program with a slower progression when barbell sports aren't what they compete in

5x5 on power clean? No thanks.

5x5 on power clean? No thanks.
Not across, first of all, and secondly, there's no problem with doing them for a 5rm. However, you can do it for 3rm and it wouldn't matter as long as the intensity is consistent with the goal of the day.

But I'm sure you have more oly lifting experience than Bill Starr

Not across, first of all, and secondly, there's no problem with doing them for a 5rm. However, you can do it for 3rm and it wouldn't matter as long as the intensity is consistent with the goal of the day.

But I'm sure you have more oly lifting experience than Bill Starr

Yes, I'm sure this program is great for everyone and no one would have an issue with it.

Yes, I'm sure this program is great for everyone and no one would have an issue with it.

Not unless they are a special snowflake, and need the program to be special too.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan but its not the end of the world. I feel like you could just follow the Madcow version and be done with it.

Madcows is a bastardized version of 5/3/10 ( a more advanced version of this program) and works great but it's really not geared for athletes or someone who wants to get stronger to get better in another sport he added volume via the trips and drop sets might make people burn out f they're rolling/sparring 3x a week too.
Just my 5 cents

No but you are a snowflake if you think one set of 5 on the power clean is gonna fuck you up.

"Each day you do five sets of five reps of each Power Clean..."

Can you show me where it says sets across?

I'd rather show you where it says you are doing 5 sets of 5 reps each day rather than one set of 5 reps.

Back