TKD in MMA?

TheHighlander said:
TKO you from a distance? I need to see that!

(sorry, couldn't resist. Especially when you are responding to an old thread with advice that was already given)

Dude...you haven't seen what we do in TKD. Our most advanced training is 'psychic selfdefense'. TKO from a distance is no prob...

;)

^^^^ does it involve that crane stance from Karate Kid....I could definitely see TKO (laughing).

Dude...you haven't seen what we do in TKD. Our most advanced training is 'psychic selfdefense'. TKO from a distance is no prob...

Aaron, this reminded me of a story I once read about a Karate-ka in Japan. I forget his name, but a real, living person. A young Black Belt came to challenge him in the twilight of his days and he could tell the kid was a lot stronger than he was and more talented. So he REALLY didn't want to fight him, but agreed to out of honor because the kid traveled very far. So they get out into the field and every time this kid moves an inch he gives the loudest fiercest Kiya's he's ever given. After like 5 of these the kid is like "you win, I can't attack you."

Sounds cheesy and stupid, right? (to all of you TMA sucks pundits), but the funny thing is this kind of shit works in the streets. People think you're just crazy, and no one likes to fight crazy people. This is like when brothas go "WHAT'S YO MOTHAFUCKIN PROLLEM MOTHAFUCKA!?!?" And you just go "nothin'" and just walk away. Then they thank God you didn't kick their ass.

I also once won a sparring match without throwing a punch because one of my students who was WAY bigger than me kicked me in the face, busted my lip, and I smiled at him through bloody teeth. He said "naw man, fuck that shit. I don't spar people who don't feel shit."

King Kabuki is correct about this.

I have a buddy that I have trained with and he had a student who had a brother with some sort of army background. Everytime he was in town he kept wanting to spar my buddy after class. So finally my buddy agrees, just getting sick of this dude always wanting to spar him. So they do the whole bowing thing and start getting ready, and before they even start the brother says, "Stop. I can't do this."

My buddy is like, "Why not?"

"Your eyes dude! Their like burning right through me. You look really pissed off..."

One thing I will say. TKD gets a lot of crap. But from what I can tell we've always been on the level with people. Despite my joke we've never claimed to have psychic powers. And in this business I've seen it all. Secret powers from the russian military, ki power, etc, etc. I think most of the schools operate on a pay as you go program, no contracts. You don't like it, you quit. TKD is pretty straight forward with people...

TheHighlander said:
TKO you from a distance? I need to see that!

(sorry, couldn't resist. Especially when you are responding to an old thread with advice that was already given)

KO ..TKO...Same shit! Haha

One thing I will say. TKD gets a lot of crap. But from what I can tell we've always been on the level with people. Despite my joke we've never claimed to have psychic powers. And in this business I've seen it all. Secret powers from the russian military, ki power, etc, etc. I think most of the schools operate on a pay as you go program, no contracts. You don't like it, you quit. TKD is pretty straight forward with people...

Oh you wouldn't be referring to Juko-Kai would you? lol

I train by getting purposefully punched in the balls and the throat, repeatedly, full speed and power. Great.

The worst part about it is all it is is the isolated and slightly obscure breathing exercises from Kyokushin. And they have nifty little catch-phrases like "okay he's gonna start ki-in' up now!"

TKD was made in feudal japan for kicking riders off horses or some crap.

it's not practical, so just dont walk into anything stupid. just dont forget you're facing an athlete who has trained and conditioned in any case.

if you can clinch on him and grab his head for some knee lovin' you'll be winning the fight. if you're clinching him, he's not KOing anyone with a kick.

now if you sit back and try to measure out jabs then you're walking into a KO. and this is what he's expecting. dont knwo the rules in your fights but stay close and he'll scramble. keep in mind he possible cross trains so keep your eyes open for something you might not see in TKD.

King Kabuki said:
Oh you wouldn't be referring to Juko-Kai would you? lol

I train by getting purposefully punched in the balls and the throat, repeatedly, full speed and power. Great.

The worst part about it is all it is is the isolated and slightly obscure breathing exercises from Kyokushin. And they have nifty little catch-phrases like "okay he's gonna start ki-in' up now!"

Heh heh...No. I wasn't referring to Juko-Kai specifically. Sorry I got off on a tangent. I made the joke about using our 'psychic self-defense' to get a TKO. Then I ended up getting on my soap box.

I'll shut up now and wait for the Benny the Jet highlight video...

Fight_Song said:

Damnit. No wonder I'm getting my ass kicked all over the place. I need to be fighting mounted people.

Get crocop or Fedor on a horse and I'll take them on!

:D

oops...I was going to shut up...shutting up...

Damnit. No wonder I'm getting my ass kicked all over the place. I need to be fighting mounted people.

Get crocop or Fedor on a horse and I'll take them on!

oops...I was going to shut up...shutting up...

HA HA HA!! Dude you're on a roll. Hmm, I'm gonna have to make the video today. Wasn't sure when I'd be pulling it off. I have to work today so I'll probably make it before work and post it after work, tonight.

Fight_Song said:
OH! It's a quest! By japan you mean korea, by feudal you mean the times around 1950's, but I still don't get what you mean by "horses", damn I'm too stupid. :icon_cry2

aaron_mag said:
King Kabuki is correct about this.

I have a buddy that I have trained with and he had a student who had a brother with some sort of army background. Everytime he was in town he kept wanting to spar my buddy after class. So finally my buddy agrees, just getting sick of this dude always wanting to spar him. So they do the whole bowing thing and start getting ready, and before they even start the brother says, "Stop. I can't do this."

My buddy is like, "Why not?"

"Your eyes dude! Their like burning right through me. You look really pissed off..."

LOL This is actualy the same thing that I do when I fight. I'm consistently bawling and shouting at people, not just while kicking, but all the time. I also have this insane glare (like this :icon_twis) and according body language. I alway hear from my opponents after the fight, that they feared me, they didn't realy know why but somehow I reveille their flight instinct like a wild animal would do. I have several fights on video where my opponents just pissed their pants just because of my appereance.

My insructor likes to have students from other styles come to or school to mix things up and see the comparisons in styles.We go all out with typical sparring gear sparring gloves,foot pads,shin pads,headgear, no elbows or knees to the face allowed but everything else is allowed including throws
with no ground fighting.I have found with tkd guys you must and i mean must go inside unless you are a very skilled Mt fighter or kickboxer if the tkd fighter is good which i'll bet he is.

Pick your opportunity to close after he thows a kick with his rear leg and close fast and hard,committ to closing the distance and just overwhelm him with power punches or clinch and knee,that is if your not confident in your grappling.If you don't want to go to the ground when your flurry is over either keep the clinch if you can or back way up and repeat.

This seems to be to overwhelming for them if you can punch with hard hooks and uppercuts.If you fight them from a distance and try to jab cross them you are playing his game.

He will only be able to get one power shot off and the odds of it finishing you are slim if you time it right.Also they like to try and time your rythm so charging right after opening bell should catch him off gaurd.Good luck

ps Beware spinning back kick or cross behind side kick if your not used to facing them

Fight_Song said:

Yeah, just like Muay Thai was made in Indonesia for harvesting bannanas by whacking bannana trees with their shins until the fruit fell out of the tree.

im just chiming in one little thing... TKD varies so much and there is a ton of differents styles and veriations, i could go on for hours about why and how but this is the point.......look for what organization the TKD fighter is from, ATA,WTF,ITF etc. the best on I have seen is ITF, it is true that it is rare to see a good trainer because alot of them are all about art but, they mix up their flavor somewhat they practice the formal kicks, a small amount of boxing techniques and some grappling now.

its about time a TKD guy started kicking ass in MMA.

TKD vs a Boxer in MMA? that is kinda weird btw...

I guess I can call myself a TKD guy in MMA.
Although I'm more of a Karate guy, who has cross trained in Thaiboxing & BJJ.

Some TKD guys cross train in Thaiboxing, if you can't even name the kicks,
your in trouble dude, they will be all over you.

Danielsan said:
im just chiming in one little thing... TKD varies so much and there is a ton of differents styles and veriations, i could go on for hours about why and how but this is the point.......look for what organization the TKD fighter is from, ATA,WTF,ITF etc. the best on I have seen is ITF, it is true that it is rare to see a good trainer because alot of them are all about art but, they mix up their flavor somewhat they practice the formal kicks, a small amount of boxing techniques and some grappling now.
Why do so many people think that ITF is some sort of badass style? All ITF guys I've met were primarily concerned with looking good. And they compete with no contact.

feet are for standing--not for kicking. punch him in the eye.

Fight_Song said:
feet are for standing--not for kicking. punch him in the eye.
LOL. Fight_Song strikes again!!!

Feet are not for kicking? Then what IS for kicking?

Back