Media TJ Dillashaw vs Cory Sandhagen Judges Scorecard

Cory was on the retreat because TJ is a wrestler. His gameplan was obviously to stick and move and don't get taken down. I saw improvements in Corys grappling last night. Big difference from when he looked like a fish out of water vs Aljo.

I didn't score the fight live because it was too nervracking lol. I was just in the moment. Will have to rewatch and score with no sound on.

Because that would mean a round where all 3 judges score it the same carries just as much weight as a split round.

Clearly that would be an inferior system.

A better idea would be to ignore split rounds and only count the rounds where they all agree in which case 2-0 TJ. However this is still inferior to the system they do have.
It’s an interesting concept. But is that so bad? Yes a split round is scored the same as unanimous. But the way it sits now a round in which 2 judges scored it for one guy, can decide the fight in the other direction for the person who lost on two cards. (Example rounds 4 and 5 last night.) One for sure positive is it takes some power out of the hands of the judges if they screw up a round or two it doesn’t cause a split decision or wrong decision. It’s something to look at

Sandhagen's strikes didn't hurt or slow down TJ? Did you watch the fight?

Someone want to post the gif or two of TJ getting rocked?

Did you watch the fight? Sandhagen was on his bike for 5 rounds. You can't win fights running away from your opponent and thats exactly what Sandhagen did and thats the reason why he lost.

Just look at the damage TJ was doing to Sandhagen's legs as he stumbling after another solid leg kick.

OffensiveWellinformedAuklet-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Rounds 1 and 3 were clear for TJ
Round 2 was clear for Cory
Rounds 4 and 5 were toss ups.

The decision was fine and nobody should be mad.

Wow. Giving 4 to TJ is about as bad as MMA judging can get.

His leg kicks were very significant that round, plus nearly 2 minutes of control in a 5 minute round.
The last two rounds of that fight were not very clear for either guy.

Did you watch the fight? Sandhagen was on his bike for 5 rounds. You can't win fights running away from your opponent and thats exactly what Sandhagen did and thats the reason why he lost.

So Sandhagen's punches only created 1 cut on TJ's face but never hurt him or slowed down his attack while TJ's kicks to Sandhagen's legs turned them into something you find at a meat market, stopped him from throwing kicks and slowed down his movement drastically.

He wasn't running away, he was counter striking and utilizing distance. Would you like to revisit "never hurt him or slowed down his attack?"

ShoddyFearlessArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

^^ rocked

VibrantThoroughDouglasfirbarkbeetle-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down
EnragedActualAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down
VapidInexperiencedIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

^^ dropped
HotShockedGnat-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down
NippyDismalAmericanmarten-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down

Sure seems like you didn't watch the fight.

Oh, and here's a gif of those devastating leg kicks.

VeneratedGloomyDoctorfish-size_restricted.gif

Sandhagen lost because he gave his back up the entire fight. I can't see how else the judges would score it for TJ -- his wrestling was largely shutdown, very low percentage take down success and aside from round 1 the only thing he did with "control" was hold onto Sandhagen's back until Sandhagen escaped without damage.

Sandhagen landed more violent strikes by nearly double to the head and was never in any danger. TJ was in danger of a submission once (triangle), knocked down once and damn near knocked down a 2nd time.

And I actually wanted TJ to win, lol

Agree 100%.

I put $20 on Sandhagen and I was telling my gf he needs to quit running and start backing TJ up. Whenever Corey pushed forward he was pretty effective and it doesn't look like you're running away.

In the 5th I was screaming at him to "fucking do something and win the fight", instead, as you said he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

It really pissed me off, lol.

giving up his back was dumb, imho. it's dangerous and looks bad. but moving backwards while striking -- if you're being effective -- why would you change it? he averaged over 20 strikes per round to TJ's face -- TJ only averaged about 12-13, right? Sandhagen dropped TJ and stunned him a couple times -- he was striking effectively.

Last edited:
He wasn't running away, he was counter striking and utilizing distance. Would you like to revisit "never hurt him or slowed down his attack?"

ShoddyFearlessArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

^^ rocked

VibrantThoroughDouglasfirbarkbeetle-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down
EnragedActualAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down
VapidInexperiencedIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

^^ dropped
HotShockedGnat-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down
NippyDismalAmericanmarten-size_restricted.gif

^ slowed down

Sure seems like you didn't watch the fight.

Oh, and here's a gif of those devastating leg kicks.

VeneratedGloomyDoctorfish-size_restricted.gif

Sandhagen lost because he gave his back up the entire fight. I can't see how else the judges would score it for TJ -- his wrestling was largely shutdown, very low percentage take down success and aside from round 1 the only thing he did with "control" was hold onto Sandhagen's back until Sandhagen escaped without damage.

Sandhagen landed more violent strikes by nearly double to the head and was never in any danger. TJ was in danger of a submission once (triangle), knocked down once and damn near knocked down a 2nd time.

And I actually wanted TJ to win, lol

giving up his back was dumb, imho. it's dangerous and looks bad. but moving backwards while striking -- if you're being effective -- why would you change it? he averaged over 20 strikes per round to TJ's face -- TJ only averaged about 12-13, right? Sandhagen dropped TJ and stunned him a couple times -- he was striking effectively.
Good points, but it seems to be judges cater more to wrestling these days instead of striking.. at least TJ has won over a lot of fans since his comeback, so he's happy about that.

Good points, but it seems to be judges cater more to wrestling these days instead of striking.. at least TJ has won over a lot of fans since his comeback, so he's happy about that.

My only problem with that is when you take someone down and keep them on their back it certainly seems more dominant than what happened last night. Corey walked halfway across the octagon and placed his forehead on the cage to GIVE TJ that position, I guess because he wasn't able to do any damage with it?

Not a good strategy, obviously, but damn I feel bad for him.

His leg kicks were very significant that round, plus nearly 2 minutes of control in a 5 minute round.
The last two rounds of that fight were not very clear for either guy.
It used to be that when a guy got rocked, that would almost always clinch him the round, same as in boxing. Not only did TJ get rocked with a super flashy spinning back fist, he was also out struck and nullified the grappling (clinching/butt hugging) that apparently was the scoring highlight of TJ's night in round 4.

The issue is TJ was much more successful in round 5 than round 4 in the areas where you could conceivably award points to him. It baffles the mind to give him 4 but not 5, as Kamijo did. I almost never agree with Luke Thomas, so when he says the following, I know there is a problem.

Back