Thug vs Waterson??

I think that, on a good day, Calderwood is a danger to Waterson, KK, and Esparza. And I'm sure she'd like to have a chance to redeem her loss to Namajunas on TUF.
Yes, Calderwood is a danger to Waterson or KK but she doesn't beat them imo.

Thug Rose vs Calderwood 2 could be interesting but the division needs fresh match ups right now. If Claderwood allows Esparza to grapple she's screwed hypothetically speaking that is.

Why has nobody brought Calderwood into the conversation? She's ranked #8, and she hasn't fought Jedrzejczyk yet. She's worth putting into the mix.

She just lost, and is 2-2 in her last four.

Who has Jedrzejczyk beat? Esparza, Penne, Letourneau, Gadelha, Kowalkiewicz. That's hardly "clear out the division" number of opponents.

If she starts beating fighters outside the top five, then she's really not fighting top contenders.

Unfortunately I think Thug Rose is a bad matchup for Waterson. She is way too strong.

People said that about PVZ, too.

SHe has to take the challenge.

If she has nothing for Claudia, she has even less for Joanna.

Not necessarily true. Styles make fights.

The division has a big problem in Gadelha and her erroneous ranking. She needs moved down the rankings, based on the fact that she hasn't beaten anyone in the top ten of the division. Losses do not earn a top ranking, no matter if they were "close" fights.Her number one spot has her in the position where all she wants to do is face other top fighters and eliminate them from contender status, which clogs up the division.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression we had all agreed Andrade was already going to get the next title shot, and were discussion the shot after that one.

Correct. Making sure we're all on the same page here.

Thug Rose vs Calderwood 2 could be interesting but the division needs fresh match ups right now.
Fight goes the same as the first time. Namajunas takes Calderwood down and submits her because Calderwood is a slow starter who has demonstrated she has made few improvements to her submission defense thus far.

Joanna is going to fight in March or April, that's her plan. Only 2 fighters in the top 10 are in the picture as an opponent, either Andrade or Waterson. Rose has lost to 2 and 3 and needs to win some fights, Torres turned down Gadelha.

Who gets the fight? I'd say Waterson fits the WME bill more than Andrade, especially now Jessica's gimme fight on 207 has fallen through. Michelle's 30, close to 5 million viewers saw her beat Paige, she doesn't need any warm up fights.

If she starts beating fighters outside the top five, then she's really not fighting top contenders.
IIRC, Silva and GSP beat a couple guys ranked outside the top 5 (a couple top 10 guys, iirc), and people didn't really give them that much flak for it at the time. That said, I agree you need to move fighters up into the top five, which is what my proposed matchups would do for at least one fighter and possibly two.

Joanna is going to fight in March or April, that's her plan. Only 2 fighters in the top 10 are in the picture as an opponent, either Andrade or Waterson. Rose has lost to 2 and 3 and needs to win some fights, Torres turned down Gadelha.

Who gets the fight? I'd say Waterson fits the WME bill more than Andrade, especially now Jessica's gimme fight on 207 has fallen through. Michelle's 30, close to 5 million viewers saw her beat Paige, she doesn't need any warm up fights.
Andrade deserves the next title shot especially with a win in her next fight. We're trying to discuss who gets a title shot after that.

The division has a big problem in Gadelha and her erroneous ranking. She needs moved down the rankings, based on the fact that she hasn't beaten anyone in the top ten of the division. Losses do not earn a top ranking, no matter if they were "close" fights.Her number one spot has her in the position where all she wants to do is face other top fighters and eliminate them from contender status, which clogs up the division.
Nobody will accept a fight with Claudia. She's number two for a reason, and would beat any top 5 right now. Hence why nobody on this thread wants to entertain Gadehla vs Waterson or Thug.

Nobody will accept a fight with Claudia. She's number two for a reason, and would beat any top 5 right now. Hence why nobody on this thread wants to entertain Gadehla vs Waterson or Thug.
Basically. I mean, Gadelha is on the same level as the champion, which is about a level and a half above the rest of the division.

Yeah, she's in the conversation, but she needs a win to get back into it. I mean, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I hate when fighters get a title shot coming off a loss.

I'm not suggesting that Calderwood has earned a title shot without doing more... but that's the situation with most of the other fighters we're talking about too.

She just lost, and is 2-2 in her last four.

People said that about PVZ, too.

Not necessarily true. Styles make fights.

Rose easily overpowered and busted up PVZ. Waterson is all about technique. She has a chance to catch Rose with a sub if she gets sloppy but I would still pick Rose to overpower and rough her up, similar to the PVZ fight.

Basically. I mean, Gadelha is on the same level as the champion, which is about a level and a half above the rest of the division.
Well, styles do still make fights. I like Claudia but would also like to see her fight other top girls to back up her ranking.

I'd like to see Gadelha vs 'Sparza although that wouldn't mesh with what we're trying to do in this thread... actually Claudia vs KK would be good.

I'm not suggesting that Calderwood has earned a title shot without doing more... but that's the situation with most of the other fighters we're talking about too.
Fair enough.

Unrelated to the quote, who thinks Gadelha/Kowalkiewicz would be a good fight to make? It'll knock one of them out of the top 5, which will open up space in the rankings.

Fair enough.

Unrelated to the quote, who thinks Gadelha/Kowalkiewicz would be a good fight to make? It'll knock one of them out of the top 5, which will open up space in the rankings.
Ninja'd you lol.

Rose easily overpowered and busted up PVZ. Waterson is all about technique. She has a chance to catch Rose with a sub if she gets sloppy but I would still pick Rose to overpower and rough her up, similar to the PVZ fight.
PVZ is out of the top ten as of now. She will have to win two in a row to get back in.

Back