Thinking of migrating to Canada

Fire Belly

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Been talking about this with my family for a fair while now, and we're all pretty keen on the idea of selling up here and leaving Aus behind. Kind of sick of the oppressive heat and things always trying to kill you.

We're really interested in Nova Scotia, will probably try to get over there for a holiday this year and to get a better idea of what to expect. Keen on the idea of crazy storms and living near the ocean, and love visiting historical sites and getting out into the bush.

Anyway, What's it like living in Canada? What things do you need to be careful of? I'm assuming bears might be a concern, but are there venomous snakes/spiders or anything like that?

We're really interested in Nova Scotia,
I do believe the winters are warm (compared to the rest of Canada).
What things do you need to be careful of? I'm assuming bears might be a concern, but are there venomous snakes/spiders or anything like that?
It's not like bears are wandering around everywhere - Bears are up north and more west (I could be wrong about that).

No snakes or spiders that I'm aware of. Probably the most dangerous thing would be vicious dogs and canadian trump supporters.

It's a very big country, so your experience will vary depending on where you end up. In general, it's colder here than most places, though the west coast is quite a bit warmer than Manitoba where I live. Not so sure about the Nova Scotia and the east coast though, I've never actually been out there. Black bears can be found throughout most of the country, but they are seldom aggressive towards humans. Grizzly bears are pretty much only in the western part of the country, and Polar bears in the north. As far as poisonous stuff, there are apparently rattlesnakes in some parts of the country, as well as black widow spiders. I don't think they're very common though.

Overall I think it's a pretty good country to live in, though I've never lived in any other country and am not as well-traveled as some.

Been talking about this with my family for a fair while now, and we're all pretty keen on the idea of selling up here and leaving Aus behind. Kind of sick of the oppressive heat and things always trying to kill you.

We're really interested in Nova Scotia, will probably try to get over there for a holiday this year and to get a better idea of what to expect. Keen on the idea of crazy storms and living near the ocean, and love visiting historical sites and getting out into the bush.

Anyway, What's it like living in Canada? What things do you need to be careful of? I'm assuming bears might be a concern, but are there venomous snakes/spiders or anything like that?

Im on the westcoast, nothing much on the crazy venomous end. We do have grizzlies, black bears, cougars and wolverines in some areas, but the most common being black bears you rarely see nowadays with the constant development in many of the more popular cities and suburbs in various provinces. Not too familiar with the east coast, but the west here in B.C is very nice, especially considering we get all four seasons and have a fantastic outdoors life. The city isn't huge, but growing, and the people are ok.

My biggest issue in Canada is their soft approach to things like criminal justice. They believe 100% in rehabilitation so many, many times they will release serial rapists, pedophiles, murderers and sometimes even serial murderers and psychos cause they feel they "paid their dues". They will become your neighbor and you wont even know it. Canada seems to protect its deviants for some reason and even have been known to give money and safe haven to ex terrorists. Look it up.

I do believe the winters are warm (compared to the rest of Canada).

It's not like bears are wandering around everywhere - Bears are up north and more west (I could be wrong about that).

No snakes or spiders that I'm aware of. Probably the most dangerous thing would be vicious dogs and canadian trump supporters.

Maritime winters are actually pretty brutal. They get a lot more snow and more wind than the rest of Canada.

The only province with decent winters is BC.

Lol... How did a thread about an Australian wanting to move to Canada all of the sudden turn into a Donald Trump thread?

It's a great nation. Try out BC if you want to see more fellow Aussie pals. It's also got the most diverse landscapes.

I live by nova scotia....it's nice over there

As a Nova Scotian I can confirm the winters are a bitch. Wind, rain, freezing rain and snow often all in the same day. We don't really have anything venomous around here but we do have some black bears and moose. There's not much excitement in this province unless you enjoy looking at trees. We're a friendly bunch but most people around here can't drive for shit and will bring out your inner rage monster when you're on the roads with them. You better learn to love hockey too or you might as well stay in Australia.

CanadaImmigrationPolicy.jpg

Just kidding, ya aussie cunt. But we will be, by the time your sorry ass applies legally.
giphy.gif

CanadaImmigrationPolicy.jpg

Just kidding, ya aussie cunt. But we will be, by the time your sorry ass applies legally.
giphy.gif
the outline of the Canadian states looks like America's beanie

At first I was like, "why would you want to live in Canada"? Then I realized you live in Australia.

Makes sense now. Obvious upgrade.

If you want to blend in just add eh at the end of every sentence, and for God's sake don't call anyone a goof up there.

You'll be expected to play pond hockey

Oppressive heat vs brutal cold.

Back