Thinking of migrating to Canada

happy trails

C1DLFqh.gif

Been talking about this with my family for a fair while now, and we're all pretty keen on the idea of selling up here and leaving Aus behind. Kind of sick of the oppressive heat and things always trying to kill you.

We're really interested in Nova Scotia, will probably try to get over there for a holiday this year and to get a better idea of what to expect. Keen on the idea of crazy storms and living near the ocean, and love visiting historical sites and getting out into the bush.

Anyway, What's it like living in Canada? What things do you need to be careful of? I'm assuming bears might be a concern, but are there venomous snakes/spiders or anything like that?
I'm gonna have to discourage you from turning your back on your homeland and showing your strength and perseverance. Where the fuck is your Australian pride?
{<goku}

Also, we need that space in Canada for the possibility of all of the disillusioned US citizens finally carrying out their threats to move north to Canadia.

<Durant35>

Been talking about this with my family for a fair while now, and we're all pretty keen on the idea of selling up here and leaving Aus behind. Kind of sick of the oppressive heat and things always trying to kill you.

We're really interested in Nova Scotia, will probably try to get over there for a holiday this year and to get a better idea of what to expect. Keen on the idea of crazy storms and living near the ocean, and love visiting historical sites and getting out into the bush.

Anyway, What's it like living in Canada? What things do you need to be careful of? I'm assuming bears might be a concern, but are there venomous snakes/spiders or anything like that?
I'm 36 and I've seen a bear in the wild once in my life and most people I know have never seen one. But those who go in the bush on the reg (nice!) will report them from time to time. Bear attacks, particularly black bears, are low. Moose are more aggressive and more likely to charge. Again, never met anyone who got attacked by one.

The Maritimes provinces are generally poorer compared to other Canadian provinces but Halifax is the richest city there. The university there (Dalhousie) is quite good. No major sports teams which would suck for sports enthusiasts. All in all I do hear that the people there are very nice, warm and accommodating.

Do you like Kraft Dinner, poutine, maple syrup and maple flavored everything?

I live up north in ON. If you're into fishing/hunting, it's awesome. Lived in Central BC for a few years. Mild winters, lots of great ski hills, people were cool. Lived on Vancouver Island for a few years. Mild winters, lots of "bums" wanting handouts and to not work. Beautiful, but super expensive. Cost of living to salary ratio for the average person is not great. Lived AB. Got migraines alot when I first moved there because of was Chinooks coming through. People reminded me alot of Northern ON, because alot of them are from there. Cost of living to salary ratio is good (big city), at least it was a 7 years ago. Have never been to east coast, but any Newfie I work is nuts, but good people. Remind me of Australians a bit, but harder to understand when they get loaded. Idk if any of that helps, but good luck on the move if you decide to do it.

Once upon a time Canada would've sounded inviting to me but no longer. Trudeau seems to of turned the country into the 'woke' capital of the world. There is no freedom of speech anymore for one thing.
Canada sounds like it's heading in the same direction that England has been at for a long time now. More concerned with the pc society. It is going to end up having a massive muslim population as well which says it all imo.

You can move next door to @Clippy and tell us what really goes on in his garage.

Im on the westcoast, nothing much on the crazy venomous end. We do have grizzlies, black bears, cougars and wolverines in some areas, but the most common being black bears you rarely see nowadays with the constant development in many of the more popular cities and suburbs in various provinces. Not too familiar with the east coast, but the west here in B.C is very nice, especially considering we get all four seasons and have a fantastic outdoors life. The city isn't huge, but growing, and the people are ok.

My biggest issue in Canada is their soft approach to things like criminal justice. They believe 100% in rehabilitation so many, many times they will release serial rapists, pedophiles, murderers and sometimes even serial murderers and psychos cause they feel they "paid their dues". They will become your neighbor and you wont even know it. Canada seems to protect its deviants for some reason and even have been known to give money and safe haven to ex terrorists. Look it up.

which is odd because I can’t even visit Canada because of a prior DUI 8 years ago. Not complaining I know what I did was wrong but it is what it is I guess.

Maritime winters are actually pretty brutal. They get a lot more snow and more wind than the rest of Canada.

The only province with decent winters is BC.

sometimes it’s colder there than in Nunavut. Today we got a nice toasty -19c. Last week it was -52c for most of the week

You will like it in Canada. Except for the months where there's hardly any sun.

Funny, I was thinking Australia and NZ would be a nice place to live..

They believe 100% in rehabilitation so many, many times they will release serial rapists, pedophiles, murderers and sometimes even serial murderers and psychos cause they feel they "paid their dues".

Ummmm, pretty sure Pictor and Bernardo will never get out. So what you're saying isn't true. Only abolished the death penalty in 1976.

Ummmm, pretty sure Pictor and Bernardo will never get out. So what you're saying isn't true. Only abolished the death penalty in 1976.

Homolka got out, most psychologists and experts who studied the case agreed that she was far far worse then the victim she tried to portray herself to be. That she very well may have been the mastermind behind luring the girls and was the one who hatched the idea to drug and rape her own sister. She's out now, has a family and kids, is a volunteer at her kids school.

There was a girl in Calgary I believe who hatched a plot to kill her parents and brother and convinced her boyfriend to help her do it, again, most people agreed she was the mastermind here. Cause she was underage, they had to let her go after her max years served despite some warnings she was not fully ok.

John Crawford, who murdered a girl, was thought to have maybe killed more based on his psyche, but was charged with manslaughter and let go after like 10 years, only to get out and kill a few more girls.

Of course not all can be classified as serial killers, but deranged nonetheless, for example:

Vince li, chopped a guys head off, started eating him, let loose

Jeremy molitor, stabbed his girlfriend 50 plus times, full parole.

Kelly Ellard, brutally conspired in and beat to death a girl in Victoria, of course not before ashing her cigarette out on her skin. Her co conspiritor got released, she gets to have not one but two kids which the government helps pay for and gets full day parole sessions to enjoy.

Watch the documentary, Dear Zachary... That's an eye opener.

Clifford Olsen, who they did catch and lock up for life for killing numerous kids in the 80s, they cut a deal with him for the whereabouts of missing kids bodies and they paid him 90k for his efforts. That blunder is still laughed at by higher up's to this day. The victims families didn't get shit.

Honestly I can go on and on. We have a multitude of serial rapists and pedophiles who are considered high risk that are constantly released back into the public to re offend just in my city alone.

The point here is, Canada's lax approach to discipline is appalling at best and because they let out people who have done harm and possibly could do harm again, they put more people at risk for absolutely no other reason then to try and prove how rehabilitation not persecution is the key.

Though I agree in some cases this can but true, if you sadistically killed someone in cold blood and several experts still think there's a chance you can re offend and there may still be issues, but you are granted release, that's a problem.

If you have sexually assaulted numerous people and are deemed a high risk to re offend, and yet are still released, that's a fucking huge problem.

Let's let this dangerous animal who already mauled people, out of its cage to potentially be able to maul, or worse again. Where's the logic in that?

Canada seems to think there is.

Last edited:
which is odd because I can’t even visit Canada because of a prior DUI 8 years ago. Not complaining I know what I did was wrong but it is what it is I guess.

Ya it's very odd here. Those kind of offences can screw with you for long periods. I had a friend who lost his license for 3 months for a dui charge, even though he passed the other tests they gave him but blew over. He contended he only had 1 drink at the restaurant he left, which was proven, and was fine, but the tests here don't give you much of a shot as far as alcohol content. Cause he did a job which required him driving his car, he tried contesting it but to no avail. He lost that job and it literally fucked him over for a long time, he even ended up getting divorced. 1 drink. Ruined his life for a long while. Nobody was hurt.

In contrast, a local police offer plowed over a girl walking across the street during a chase,while he was looking at his on board screen.... She died.... He... Suspended with pay, back on the force in a year.

A guy in our neighborhood beat a girl so severely she required extensive surgery and now deals with trauma and can't work or socialize properly. Guy was realesed after a 4 months, living his life normally as he pleaded some insane reasons why he did what he did.

I really don't understand what monkeys call the shots out here but it truly is a circus.

Moose are the deadliest animals via accidents.

Black widow spiders and Rattlers are restricted mainly to the Okanagan and a tiny spot in Alberta.

Lots of wildlife throughout the country. I've seen a wolf in Oshawa, a grizzly in Calgary and deer, raccoons and coyotes can be found almost everywhere. Hell, saw a wolverine coming home from quadding one day. My buddy and I had a wtf moment. More wildlife the further out you go.

Try crossing through Quebec and claim asylum. Tell em the koalas are out to get you. I'm sure they've heard worse.

If you find yourself hard up for cash, identify as a woman and go to a salon to get your nuts waxed. Take them to court when they refuse.

As an Ausie I'm sure you like beer and busting balls do you'll fit right in.

Oh, Halifax is humid and dreary as fuck in the winter. Enjoy!

Back