Thinking of migrating to Canada

Been talking about this with my family for a fair while now, and we're all pretty keen on the idea of selling up here and leaving Aus behind. Kind of sick of the oppressive heat and things always trying to kill you.

We're really interested in Nova Scotia, will probably try to get over there for a holiday this year and to get a better idea of what to expect. Keen on the idea of crazy storms and living near the ocean, and love visiting historical sites and getting out into the bush.

Anyway, What's it like living in Canada? What things do you need to be careful of? I'm assuming bears might be a concern, but are there venomous snakes/spiders or anything like that?
I think you should consider Newfoundland as a destination. You can leave your fire hose in Aus and pick up a shovel instead .(just kidding and sorry to the newfies).

Nova Scotia is beautiful, if I was going to move to a maritime province, it's the one I would choose.

canada's great, east coast is chill.
Job's are a little more scarce and salaries are lower but houses and land are cheap and there aren't a shit ton of people everywhere.

Sadly you'll be landing in a country incredibly divided and being destroyed by the Liberal party of Canada.

We have no rights and there is no freedom of speech.

We are currently in the process of banning and confiscating AR-15s and other semi auto firearms which will cost billions. I suspect this is why the Liberals want to quadruple the carbon tax.

Close to 100,000 AR-15s need to be destroyed and you can bet thousands will be stolen and sold on the streets. The process for confiscating these rifles is a joke. There is panic buying at the moment. Crime is increasing and gun violence is getting out of hand. Even though it has nothing to do with Canadian gun culture, legal gun owners still get blamed anyway.

The Liberals plan on increasing immigration to 400,000k a year and they are using immigrants for votes. Unfortunately it won't all be Aussies coming over.

If you feel like living in a soulless country and being used as slave labor for the globalists then by all means come on over!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/academic-extremism-comes-to-canada/article33185073/
University campuses have always leaned a little left. But in the 1990s, as the previous generation of academics was replaced by baby boomers, they began to lean dramatically left. The humanities and social sciences were colonized by an unholy alliance of poststructuralists and Marxists – people who believe that Western civilization is a corrupt patriarchy that must be dismantled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...wer-struggle-waiting-to-happen/?noredirect=on
Last in formal importance are immigrants of color and their descendants, the faction of the Canadian progressive coalition that’s more often seen than heard. Immigrant communities are useful for Liberals to mobilize in the context of the Canadian electoral system, which relies on mass recruitment of party members to nominate candidates and features numerous minority-majority parliamentary districts. The result has been a rise in minority and immigrant members of Parliament, more than 80 percent of whom are Liberals. Yet the lack of power ordinary MPs enjoy means many of these politicians serve their party primarily as diversity symbols or get-out-the-vote strategists. They remain largely shut out from more authoritative positions, such as the Canadian Supreme Court, which has never had a nonwhite member.

Former Liberal adviser rips party over racial insensitivity in government ranks
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-blackface-racism-liberal-1.5292084
Aziz said that while he worked in the department, he heard staffers referring to certain communities as "ethnic vote banks."
Definitely not divided except to the extremists.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies... some not what I was expecting <45>

To answer a few questions that came up.

Location wise - and the aussies on here will love this - I'm in Tassie. Been here all my life, never had an interest in moving to the mainland. Would move to Macquarie Island if it was viable though.

If you don't know Aus well, Tassie is the small island at the bottom. One of the coldest places in Aus, but no where near as cold as a Canadian winter (typical winter day morning where I am is about -5c). Funny thing is, the Canadians I work with all reckon Tassie winters are as bad as none of the houses here are built for the weather (too many were built to mainland standards) so you can really feel the cold. Also, being so far south, the days are pretty short in winter. Although we get snow here, it's rarely enough to make good use of, and there's not many good places to ski where I am.

My wife and I are both teachers, we'd be applying for visas that would let us work over there, but honestly, it's not our priority. If we sell up down here and move over, we will be in a financial position where we won't really need to work much. Probably would do a bit of relief work just to keep in touch with schools and to keep busy.

I've been checking out house prices in Canada and it blows me away how much value you get over there. I know I'm looking in NS, but I'm seeing houses over there at the 400k mark that you'd be paying well over a mill for in Tassie, which is one of the cheapest places in Aus to buy. It's frankly criminal how much house prices have been inflated the last 20 years in this country.

Cheers

you’re looking at places where most people don’t want to live. If you look at the prices of places in GTA and Greater Vancouver, you will be pretty disgusted.

Got any examples? Alberta is infected but is still capable of resisting and Saskatchewan is still strong. Ontario and everything East of that is overrun by Liberals. Only rural areas are conservative but most of the ridings are in the cities and their surrounding areas.

The left right divide here is not violent but the LPC wants to destroy Canada. Read the link lol. This will ultimately sell it out to a central power like the UN for example.

400,000 immigrants each year to a small country will divide it. There's not even enough people with enough spare time to help integrate all of those immigrants.

That's why it's time to stock on guns that can't be registered. Canada is so woke that we'll even let in your third word diseases.
Dude, serious question, do you think the earth is flat?

It's because nobody wants to live in Nova Scotia. Vancouver and Toronto are both in the top ten of most expensive.

Yup. 1 million bucks for a small semi detached 100 year old house with no driveway.

you’re looking at places where most people don’t want to live. If you look at the prices of places in GTA and Greater Vancouver, you will be pretty disgusted.

Yeah, I was comparing more like for like. Most Australians don't want to live in Tasmania either. If I compared to Melbourne or Sydney then those places would be multi-million dollar properties. Guess it's a good thing that I don't like living too close to people.

Funny, I was thinking Australia and NZ would be a nice place to live..
I'd take the heat there over winter in Canada.

Also, is all of Australia hot? I'd figure if you live near the coast, especially South like around Sydney that the weather would be nice.

Huh? That's not how that works. You only get taxed the higher percentage on the amounts that exceed that limit.
In 2020, Canada’s Income Tax Brackets are:

15% on the first $48,535 of taxable income, plus
20.5% on the next $48,534 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $48,535 up to $97,069), plus
26% on the next $53,404 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $97,069 up to $150,473), plus
29% on the next $63,895 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $150,473 up to $214,368), plus
33% of taxable income over $214,368
Those aren't terrible tax brackets but I'm guessing that's national tax right? From what I hear some of the provincial taxes on top of that is what makes it rough.

Those aren't terrible tax brackets but I'm guessing that's national tax right? From what I hear some of the provincial taxes on top of that is what makes it rough.
That's correct. So in Ontario where I am it ranges between another 5 to 13 % for the Provincial taxes which is bracketed similarly as above. Then dont forget about the 13% HST that is charged on all consumer spending.

That's correct. So in Ontario where I am it ranges between another 5 to 13 % for the Provincial taxes which is bracketed similarly as above. Then dont forget about the 13% HST that is charged on all consumer spending.
Fuck, I though the taxes were bad in California. I think I'm at 22 percent Federal Tax or what Trump lowered it from... 25 percent. State income tax for middle class is 9.3 percent but our sales is "only" 7.5 percent. Now that I think about it, it's probably about the same in total as it is in Ontario.

Although you could live in several other states and pay much less in total tax.

Fuck, I though the taxes were bad in California. I think I'm at 22 percent Federal Tax or what Trump lowered it from... 25 percent. State income tax for middle class is 9.3 percent but our sales is "only" 7.5 percent. Now that I think about it, it's probably about the same in total as it is in Ontario.

Although you could live in several other states and pay much less in total tax.
Well the 5% is only for the lowest bracket then it jumps up to like 9.5% for the next. So most are around 30-33%. Then the sales tax and and municipal taxes.
We also have the world's largest non-sovereign debt..... so all that tax and we still borrow a shit tonne. 351 billion for 15 million people and only 8 million in the labour force.

I'd take the heat there over winter in Canada.

Also, is all of Australia hot? I'd figure if you live near the coast, especially South like around Sydney that the weather would be nice.

I'm in Tas which is the furthest south you can get. Still can get pretty fucking hot here in summer and plenty of bushfires down here too. I think we have the highest range of temperatures out of anywhere.

Yeah, I was comparing more like for like. Most Australians don't want to live in Tasmania either. If I compared to Melbourne or Sydney then those places would be multi-million dollar properties. Guess it's a good thing that I don't like living too close to people.

I hear you about not wanting to live close to a lot of people. I have been trying to get my wife to move a bit farther away from the suburbs, while still remaining in proximity to all of the necessities. Canada for the most part is pretty good when it comes to space and not being crowded.

Been talking about this with my family for a fair while now, and we're all pretty keen on the idea of selling up here and leaving Aus behind. Kind of sick of the oppressive heat and things always trying to kill you.

We're really interested in Nova Scotia, will probably try to get over there for a holiday this year and to get a better idea of what to expect. Keen on the idea of crazy storms and living near the ocean, and love visiting historical sites and getting out into the bush.

Anyway, What's it like living in Canada? What things do you need to be careful of? I'm assuming bears might be a concern, but are there venomous snakes/spiders or anything like that?
This really shocks me, why an Australian want to leave his country for Canada? Now I get your point.

I'm in Tas which is the furthest south you can get. Still can get pretty fucking hot here in summer and plenty of bushfires down here too. I think we have the highest range of temperatures out of anywhere.
Tasmania?

Back