Therapy

open-uri20191219-26220-dgjwhb

I like Peterson's definition better. You can internalize trauma into your identity and then it becomes something other than what we think of as PTSD. It morphs into something worse, yes, but it doesn't really correspond to the symptoms of PTSD at that point. EG -- Hitler maybe had PTSD from WW I. He internalized that shit into his identity. He morphed it into a completely different mental illness at that point. Worse. But not really PTSD anymore.
It's not the clinical definition of PTSD though. You don't just get PTSD from participating in a war. You can get PTSD from witnessing someone get hit by car or from the shock of being diagnosed with cancer. It's related to experiencing trauma, not from an inability to reconcile your acts with your sense of self and identity.

It's not the clinical definition of PTSD though. You don't just get PTSD from participating in a war. You can get PTSD from witnessing someone get hit by car or from the shock of being diagnosed with cancer. It's related to experiencing trauma, not from an inability to reconcile your acts with your sense of self and identity.
This 100%. Two of my buddies both are Iraq Vets. One barely saw much of anything and is pretty well adjusted to life after serving. My other buddy has suffered pretty heavily from PTSD and tried to kill himself once. From what little he told me his vehicle hit an IED and they were subsequently ambushed. The driver of the vehicle was killed and two other soldiers were killed in the subsequent ambush.

I was sexually abused as a child and suffer from both PTSD and Major Depression. I know full well if this hadn't of happened to me I probably wouldn't be dealing with what I am dealing with. So yeah you are fully correct in what PTSD is

Heres the intent and training of modern counselling. In a nutshell,

The mind is a toolbox, fill it with tools.

Thats it, treatments arent customized, a therapist will hear ninety different stories and personalities and approach each with the exact same method.

Fix yourself, you can do it and its better that way.

I do phone therapy for $100 an hour on Sundays. I take Venmo. I have helped people with Marital issues, depression, lethargy, family, and chronic pain depression. I have a BA in Psychology but I am not licensed nor can I prescribe medications. I call myself an Issues Coach.
My process:
1. Listen
2. Identify
3. Qualify
4. Encourage Change
5. Rectify

Heres the intent and training of modern counselling. In a nutshell,

The mind is a toolbox, fill it with tools.

Thats it, treatments arent customized, a therapist will hear ninety different stories and personalities and approach each with the exact same method.

Fix yourself, you can do it and its better that way.
That’s not true at all

There are lots of great professionals out there but you have to look around.
Not out go too deep into my own therapy but the one I saw had a program based around meditation to rebuild pathways in my brain related empathy. We would do checks like having my brain activity and attention monitored during meditation sessions and through regular sessions. Also no medication was ever prescribed, or even suggested during the four years of therapy I attended.

That’s not true at all

There are lots of great professionals out there but you have to look around.
Not out go too deep into my own therapy but the one I saw had a program based around meditation to rebuild pathways in my brain related empathy. We would do checks like having my brain activity and attention monitored during meditation sessions and through regular sessions. Also no medication was ever prescribed, or even suggested during the four years of therapy I attended.

Yep, thats it. Going to your place, some call it the happy place. Standard practice. I stand beside my belief that everyone can figure it out on their own.

Yep, thats it. Going to your place, some call it the happy place. Standard practice. I stand beside my belief that everyone can figure it out on their own.
Umm I don’t think you understand meditation is and what it’s used for

Biggest waste of money you could ever throw down a toilet. Fuckin leaches and used car salesmen all rolled into one.

Do yourself a favor and buy Meditations from Marcus Aurelius. Save thousands and actually help your mental state.
See it’s funny because my therapist was incredibly helpful when I was at my lowest point in life. It depends on the therapist you get, like anything out there it depends on the individuals involved. I’m sure she wasn’t the right therapist for some people but she was fucking perfect for me.

Im considering therapy for generalised issues, such as negative thinking, not being able to finish what i start, and not progressing through life as i want

I thought online therapy would be best for me as the price would be far cheaper and a video call instead of an office call would likely be better

I have found the prices to be quite high though so i am having second thoughts about it. Betterhelp for example runs on a subscription service, you get a single session per week and apparently you can message a therapist too if you require all for what works out as $261 billed monthly. So not cheap

This of course puts me off

Anybody here had therapy, whether in person or online? If so how was your experience?

Doesn’t insurance cover a certain number of sessions? Also, I think it’s a great idea.

I've seen therapists make people worse. Have you tried Journaling and perhaps some type of support group? Sometimes what someone really needs is just to have more people in their lives that they can talk to.

<Fedor23>

What if ur daughters are 18? Still a teenager.can u date an 18 yr old?

Do you not think it’s odd that a guy who’s over 40 said he’d be willing to marry a 16 year old?

Are you social outcasts that broken as human beings.

18 is legal but still far too young.

Do you not think it’s odd that a guy who’s over 40 said he’d be willing to marry a 16 year old?

Are you social outcasts that broken as human beings.

18 is legal but still far too young.
I missed the first half of the conversation. Ya that's a little outside the norm.