Therapy

If I needed therapy online, I would search for an online forum, one where people can post anonymously, one where the main subject is a sport, though we wouldn't post about said sport in the forum, that would be my preferred online therapy.

I am serious. Go to youtube and search: Jordan B Peterson
He is the man
He has been correct one time in all of his speeches,is a hard core drug addict, and really unhealthy.

And all of his answers are the same: Gawd!

Why would anyone ever look to him for advice?

Like I said, whatever gets you through the day. Personally I need a little more substance behind the things I believe.
The entirety of Western civilization and the greatest middle class ever created are the substance behind Christianity. That's as real as it gets.

I had 4 or 5 after I killed someone at work about 15 years ago. I found it useful for me but it's not for everyone. Did help I don't pay for it though. Mind you I also did it as it was 1 way to get a pay out from the Government ...

What’s your line of work, law enforcement?

Yes this is exactly why you need mental help.

You have fucking daughters but would also marry a 16 year old. Lmao. Go away please.
Not to butt in but what difference does him having daughters make? If you think something is wrong wouldnt it be wrong regardless if ur a parent or not?

No one person is the same so I think most of theses "professionals" are scam artists.

Not to butt in but what difference does him having daughters make? If you think something is wrong wouldnt it be wrong regardless if ur a parent or not?

If you can’t figure that out you’re an idiot too. Imagine having teenage daughters but willing to date a girl their age.

If you can’t figure that out you’re an idiot too. Imagine having teenage daughters but willing to date a girl their age.

$300 a month is a waste of money.

watch/listen to one of these 3 people, every single day, for the first 2-3 hours of your morning routine. if they cant speak to you and fix your mental faults, a therapist wont be able to either.

Jordan Peterson
David Goggins
Jocko

are you employed? many employers health insurance will cover stuff like this, often at least 2-3 sessions a year I think

Ive been watching some David Goggins recently, his IG is great actually, small 2 minute or so clips and they are extremely direct and exactly what i need to hear

My main gripe is how easy going and lazy i am in regards to life. I get comfortable and never push myself. I know i can get a better job, but im just so damn comfortable in my job i dont bother, even though i know there are so many benefits to this new job. Also the fact i wont follow things through, books will get 3/4 read, i will decide to learn the guitar and go at it for 3 weeks hard and then quit etc. I really dislike that quality about myself. I think i need someone there to hold me accountable and push me. Thats why i thought of therapy

I am employed but im from the UK so would have to pay it all out of pocket, im going to try things suggested by people in this topic first though before i commit money to real life therapy, im unsure how effective it will be because i still wont have someone there to hold me accountable but maybe it will help change my mindset so i am better at holding myself accountable?

One of the drawbacks to talk therapy is while it works for a lot of people, a lot of therapists suck - and there's no really good way to suss out the bad from the good through resume.

I've heard these on-line services are often legit, and the benefit is you can try many therapists - just remember that if it doesn't feel right then it doesn't feel right and move on to another one

That, along with the cost is whats off putting to me. As others have said, I have no way of determining the quality of the person until i have had a few sessions and by them and i could need to go through two or three different people until i find the right one, by then i will already be hundreds in the hole.

Im considering whether to go back to therapy. Not really sure if it helped. My parents are pressuring me to go though and im not proud to admit im a little reliant on them atm

I’ve done it in person. I did it for 4 years consistently starting when I was 19... and it changed my life. But it’s kind of like rehab as in you need to hit a rock bottom or something that will motivate you to really work towards a change and not slip back. Second you need to trust your psychiatrist and have faith in there advice so you follow it and not always question it.

Now I’m not saying you should never question your psych or therapist. Shop around and find someday you have a report with.
*their
*rapport

I saw you’re post then quoted it. No ones following you.

You need a therapist because you have terrible issues. You openly said you’d be willing to have sex with 16 year olds. Lets not forget to mention you’re a father to daughters. Lol.
16 is actually a prime breeding age that will result in healthier children. The current trend of women focusing on their career and then trying to pop out a baby near 40 before the clock runs out is a disaster from a biological perspective.

16 is actually a prime breeding age that will result in healthier children. The current trend of women focusing on their career and then trying to pop out a baby near 40 before the clock runs out is a disaster from a biological perspective.

Lol go away

Been in therapy for 2 years for GAD. I just ended it with my therapist a few weeks ago as nothing has really changed from 2 years ago. I haven't got any closer to being able to say that my GAD is any better than it was, if anything it is worse. I am sure I will look for a different therapist, but just not sure what I will get out of it.

You've been to a therapist for anger management? Coulda fooled me.

I have read part of Peterson's book back when I thought there was something to him but I have since set it down where it's now collecting dust. I'm on a Robert Sapolsky trip at the moment and I might get back to Peterson if he lets go of his schtick. His best materials are his online lectures, particularly on personality theory (the big 5). He started off strong in his second Joe Rogan interview but his credibility fizzled when he spoke about the root cause of PTSD. He claimed PTSD was an inability for the psyche to mend the horrors a person has had to do in war with their sense of self and self-identity. Joe Rogan then responded (and I'm paraphrasing all this) "I thought PTSD was caused by constant tension from traumatic events or repeated traumatic events and when the feeling of being on edge from not knowing when the next episode will happen becomes pathological.". Joe Rogan was right and Peterson, a supposed Psychology academic, gave a definition of PTSD not used by any credible clinical psychologist.

If Jordan Peterson has helped you with your anger management by inspiring you to make your bed and to speak the language of lobsters, then good for you. But his methods are not conventional nor are they apt for the majority of those who need help, such as OP. He's also gone on a career tangent by being more engaged in socio-cultural and socio-political discourse that speaks favourably to right-wing idealists. So because many see him as a spokesperson of their beliefs and because he has 3 letter acronyms following his name and he's a bit of a media whore (effect of media source credibility), they make an assumption that he speaks the truth. The guy is a hack who plays to the sentiments of the "socially isolated and misunderstood" types who typically reject social norms and deprived of ontological security. But just because you feel like someone wraps you in a safe blanket by confirming your irrational beliefs, it doesn't make him or her right.

Food for thought.
I like Peterson's definition better. You can internalize trauma into your identity and then it becomes something other than what we think of as PTSD. It morphs into something worse, yes, but it doesn't really correspond to the symptoms of PTSD at that point. EG -- Hitler maybe had PTSD from WW I. He internalized that shit into his identity. He morphed it into a completely different mental illness at that point. Worse. But not really PTSD anymore.

Sounds like you need to fucking man up and get shit done instead of being a bitch.

If you came to me in my office like this I would seriously consider writing you out as a nut job just to boot you from the company because that way of thinking will just get you exploited