Economy The [Wall / Government Shutdown] Megathread

Would you approve of Trump using emergency powers to build his wall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Knew this would happen. It was the next logical step (for both sides really) because no one caved.

It’ll be interesting to see what the Court says about this. They could say there is a standing issue or decide it’s a political question, or something, and then never address it.

Trump opening up a can of worms

So do people think this is gonna be declaring a national emergency? or folding

Makes sense. So do we think that the government will be opened at that time? or just still the same thing, plus a constitutional crisis.
Guessing reopen. Will be interesting to watch.

Im hoping so. have a vested interest that way. Still, i question how effective the military would be at building a wall. They have a pretty long history of spending alot on nothing.

My bet is that he'll tell the nation that Dems and GOP passed a bipartisan bill that he refused to sign in which 21bil was allocated towards border security.
<Baelish01>

My bet is that he'll tell the nation that Dems and GOP passed a bipartisan bill that he refused to sign in which 21bil was allocated towards border security.
<Baelish01>

I will bet he and his supporters will never again acknowledge that happened.

Emergency for sure.

And concurrent reopening.

The funny thing is, while this will de facto amount to a coup against Congress, I would guess most public employees will support this because it means they get paid.

What time does that orange guy say stuff today?

Democrats are going to give him the 5 billion for the wall but will get DACA in return and expansion.

Democrats are going to give him the 5 billion for the wall but will get DACA in return and expansion.
I believe that will be the offer, but we already saw dems refuse a similar deal. Border crisis, crying children etc- the left sort of needs that and they know it.

The smart thing to do. at this point. is to realize his bluff was called, restart government, and salvage his efforts and use spin to make it seem like the democrats caused all this. His base would eat it up.

But Trump is dumb as fuck so i he's gonna double down and make it worse.

The smart thing to do. at this point. is to realize his bluff was called, restart government, and salvage his efforts and use spin to make it seem like the democrats caused all this. His base would eat it up.

But Trump is dumb as fuck so i he's gonna double down and make it worse.

Man as he was making his way up and it became more obvious he could win

I thought he would just be another dumb president like bush

I wasn't expecting him to be THIS dangerous - dangerous and stupid is a scary combo

notice this was done the day after daca program case was not reviewed by the supreme court thus keeping it alive for at least another year. there is no danger to the daca program so trump offering a daca program plus isn't going to impress the dems

WASHINGTON — Congressman Will Hurd of Texas is an increasingly lonely voice in the “build the wall” Republican Party of Donald Trump. A 41-year-old former undercover CIA officer, Hurd represents one of the largest congressional districts in America, Texas’ 23rd, a vast expanse of land roughly the size of Georgia that stretches from San Antonio to El Paso.

Hurd’s district includes 820 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border, more than any other member of the House of Representatives. But if you’re expecting Hurd, who was narrowly re-elected to a third term last year, to support President Trump’s “big, beautiful wall” and stand with the decision to partially shut down the federal government over the fight, you’ve got it all wrong. Trump’s border crisis is a “myth,” Hurd tells Rolling Stone, and a wall made of cement or steel slats is a “third-century solution to a 21st-century problem.”

Interesting interview if anyone interested.

I’m curious as to why none of the conservative posters here have spoken about this? They must know more than him.

My first reaction is $5 billion is what, 1/12th of the budget to build the whole wall? I honestly dunno what that money would buy trump.

Would seem like a democract win if these are the terms.

Back