Economy The [Wall / Government Shutdown] Megathread

Would you approve of Trump using emergency powers to build his wall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The shutdown is creating a glut of threads, and too many weak OPs carrying only poster opinion that are better suited to other threads that already exist.

All future discussion related directly to the shutdown will be merged, here. The mods may elect to close threads with a link as the final post in those threads directing future discussion in those threads here.

I decided to classify this thread as "Economy" since the shutdown is at its heart Washington refusing to pass a budget because they can't agree on expenditures.

Thank you.

*Edit* (1/13/2019)
I flubbed things up a bit with a merge I wouldn't have made if I wasn't being careless. I had to separate out Palis's RoE thread about the wall that predated this one. When I re-separated the threads the poll that one of my fellow mods originally added to this megathread remained with his thread because of its older OP date. It results to this point remain there, intact, if you wish to review them.

In the meantime, I have copied the poll to this thread, again. So it is fresh, and know that you can vote again. I set the close date for the 19th which is right around the time the original one was set to close.

Sorry about the logistical inconvenience of all this, gentlemen.

Last edited:
Thank you.

No, thank you. Lock them up, tired of seeing that shitshow clutter all over the place. It's starting to pull even with the weekly LGBT threads.

I didn't start a thread that I was about to start on Trump's round-table today at the southern border.

Here's the whole thing:

I really appreciated a few parts like this one (time-stamped):

Last edited:
The shutdown is creating a glut of threads, and too many weak OPs carrying only poster opinion that are better suited to other threads that already exist.

All future discussion related directly to the shutdown will be merged, here. The mods may elect to close threads with a link as the final post in those threads directing future discussion in those threads here.

I decided to classify this thread as "Economy" since the shutdown is at its heart Washington refusing to pass a budget because they can't agree on expenditures.

Thank you.

I'm going to offer an arbitrary dissenting opinion on the subject of the tag choice.

It should be "social," because the wall, its importance, and Trump's political charter are all based on superficial and reductive social beliefs. Economy has absolutely no place in the idea or in its support from the MAGA crowd.

And, being the economic determinist that I am, I really, really wanted to blame the rise of Trump on the failings of the neoliberal order and the problems of increasing economic inequality. And I tried to hold that line. But the fact of the matter is that, with most of the data that I've seen on the topic, "economic anxiety" has very little to do with the rise of Trumpism. Sure, it may have made a difference electorally in terms of him winning midwestern states, but for the vast majority of his supporters, economic anxiety wasn't in the conversation whatsoever.

Thank you.
About fucking time

@Hit-N-Run started another thread about Trump sticking it to farmers with the shut down.
My question is how so and how much is it costing farmers? And I suppose the size of affected farms, are they 300 acres or 3000 or bigger and who is seeing the most damage from it?
Without knowing these factors it's difficult to determine if it's really an issue or not.

They should build the wall and leave California and Florida on the other side

Trump is doing what is necessary to protect this country and I 100% support everything he's doing.

I'm going to offer an arbitrary dissenting opinion on the subject of the tag choice.

It should be "social," because the wall, its importance, and Trump's political charter are all based on superficial and reductive social beliefs. Economy has absolutely no place in the idea or in its support from the MAGA crowd.

And, being the economic determinist that I am, I really, really wanted to blame the rise of Trump on the failings of the neoliberal order and the problems of increasing economic inequality. And I tried to hold that line. But the fact of the matter is that, with most of the data that I've seen on the topic, "economic anxiety" has very little to do with the rise of Trumpism. Sure, it may have made a difference electorally in terms of him winning midwestern states, but for the vast majority of his supporters, economic anxiety wasn't in the conversation whatsoever.

Disagree to this because the biggest impact the damn wall is having, is how it's affecting the Americans currently unemployed or working as slaves not being paid. Sounds more economical to me

I just want to say, just in case I haven't before,

I hate white progressive ethnomasochists

And in a couple weeks, manny Pacquiao is gonna fuck up Adrien Broner.

They should build the wall and leave California and Florida on the other side

good with me, most of the country is a fuckin third world shit hole that i wouldn't even want to fly over, let alone fuckin drive through again.

list of states 1000x shittier than california:
1. Nevada (what a fuckin shit hole jesus)
2. Utah (fuckin mormons holy fuck)
3. Idaho (we get it, you grow potatoes - try including something else. although twin falls is a nice town).
4. alaska - people that hate living there so much they rather kill themselves
5. arizona - nobody there except like 3 cities, and only one is a cool place (tucson). phoenix - total shit hole, i would rather fuck a homeless camp in Los Angeles before going back to phoenix
6. montana - hard to even judge since there's fuckin nobody there, just a big fuckin cold wasteland
7. wyoming - shit hole. bunch of retards with guns that don't even know how to use those guns. only redeeming credit is yellowstone national park, one of the best fuckin places in the world
8. new mexico - arizona light, like half the calories and takes piss water and makes it taste even pissier. can do without this fuckin place
9. colorado - liberals too stupid to know anything about politics and self righteous enough to still make crybaby demands. combined with redneck mountain fucks and you got a tiny purple cock trying to fuck the neighboring states but can't due to short reach
10. north and south dakota - why the fuck are there two of these shit holes. it's like having herpes in your dick hole and on your balls at the same time
11. minnesota - snowy fuckin shit hole and people don't even know what's going on. also fuck your accents, it's called fuckin soda not pop you dipshits
12. wisconsin - hey look, more snow and more shit. sign me up for that while i go light myself on fuckin fire
13. nebraska - a state so boring you don't even acknowledge it's existence outside of college football
14. kansas - rednecks that are so culturally inept that they don't get wizard of oz references
15. oklahoma - other than the musical, this place is like having an asshole that never runs out of shit to wipe
16. arkansas - a state where the adults can't even spell the word "education"
17. iowa - corn sucking dipshits that are two twat hairs away from having baby balls.
18. michigan - in case you forgot about snowy shit holes - lets bring up another one
19. missouri - a state so shitty that it's considered a humanitarian crisis
20. mississippi - a state so racist that every time something racist happens in the news everyone in america thinks "must've been mississippi." also a third world shit hole with so much poor white trash that we probably need to start launching mother fuckers into the sun
21. alabama - lol, i won't even. too easy
22. georgia - if vanilla ice cream was a state, it'd be this boring shit hole of a fuck up
23. florida - just, eat a dick florida
24. north / south carolina - your hay day was the revolutionary war. then, you continued to exist and it was all shit from there
25. pennsylvania - philly might literally be the worst place on earth, and that includes if you shoved mississippi up alabama's ass then shoved it down alaska's dick hole for some weird white trash haggis clusterfuck
26. vermont - fuck your hippy fuckin ice cream fuckers. also nobody fuckin lives there, how is it i can drive for so long in such a small shit hole state and never fuckin see anyone else. nobody is supposed to fuckin live there you idiots
27. maine - a state so cold that other cold snowy shit hole states say "at least we aren't fuckin maine, holy shit"

i'm sure i'm forgetting some but whatever, fuck those 27. i'd build the wall myself just so people from those states never ever try to sneak into my awesome state for the fuckin sunshine. you can freeze your balls off in wyoming and go defrost them in arizona you arrogant cockfucks.

awesome states: texas and hawaii. i'd never live in texas but the people there are so hysterically crazy that how can i not love them, and hawaii is just fuckin rad. anywhere else is lukewarm pee or a giant shit in my toilet that won't flush.

The republicans who controlled every branch of government for 2 years (yeah you remember those days when every trumpanzee and Russian bot would say how much “they’re winning”) didn’t pass a wall budget, and the minute the dems win the house the garbage president blamed them for not having a wall.

Only the most low level deplorables still fall for this horse shit.

I just want to say, just in case I haven't before,

I hate white progressive ethnomasochists

And in a couple weeks, manny Pacquiao is gonna fuck up Adrien Broner.

No worries. They're getting outbred.

The republicans who controlled every branch of government for 2 years (yeah you remember those days when every trumpanzee and Russian bot would say how much “they’re winning”) didn’t pass a wall budget, and the minute the dems win the house the garbage president blamed them for not having a wall.

Only the most low level deplorables still fall for this horse shit.

Perhaps the best post you've made KONG.

Disagree to this because the biggest impact the damn wall is having, is how it's affecting the Americans currently unemployed or working as slaves not being paid. Sounds more economical to me

How exactly are unemployed people being effected?
And by slaves I'm going to guess you are referring to the government employees who got their last check on 12/28/18 and who's next check isn't due yet. Are those the "slaves" you're referring to? Because I'm not sure if you know what a slave is if that's the case.

Back