Economy The [Wall / Government Shutdown] Megathread

Would you approve of Trump using emergency powers to build his wall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most of what I read suggests that he might be fine in seeking the emergency status (because there doesn't seem to be strict guidelines on what qualifies as a national emergency) but he isn't going to be able to redirect the money for it.

As I understand it - he declares a nat'l emergency. Then he has to file something describing what the emergency is and how he plans to address it. For the wall, that means stating where he plans to build it and, more importantly, how he plans to fund it. The Nat'l Emergency Act gives him 2 options. One is apparently DOA. The 2nd is only his only real option and it turns on whether or not a wall is necessary for the military to do its job (if it is, he can redirect military funding to the project).

The losing prospect is that immigration enforcement and border enforcement are not within the military's scope. Additionally, the military is only allowed to engage in military construction - that is very specifically defined by Congress and the wall most likely does not meet that definition.

So, I guess his only real option is to find an interpretation of military construction that allows him to re-frame an immigration border wall as a military necessity. Unfortunately for him, his own language is going to undermine his argument here, imo.

Relevant Law:
Construction authority under National Emergency Act.
In the event of a declaration of war or the declaration by the President of a national emergency in accordance with the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) that requires use of the armed forces,the Secretary of Defense, without regard to any other provision of law, may undertake military constructionprojects, and may authorize the Secretaries of the military departments to undertake military constructionprojects, not otherwise authorized by law that are necessary to support such use of the armed forces. Such projects may be undertaken only within the total amount of funds that have been appropriated for military construction, including funds appropriated for family housing, that have not been obligated.

Trump sending the military to the border last year was his attempt to suggest that border control required the use of the military. I think that loses. It's one thing to employ the military in a task, it's something else to say that the military is required for the task.

Military construction Definition:
Military construction is any construction, development, conversion, or extension of any kind carried out with respect to a military installation, whether to satisfy temporary or permanent requirements, or any acquisition of land or construction of a defense access road. A military construction project includes all military construction work necessary to produce a complete and usable facility or a complete and usable improvement to an existing facility (or to produce such portion of a complete and usable facility or improvement as is specifically authorized by law).

The definition of military construction seems to require that the construction be in relation to a military installation. But that's just my quick read over and cobbled together opinions from others.

I never doubt that President Trump keep his promises.
The wall is gonna be built, thank god.

tenor.gif

Now we gonna have a decent immigration policy. Consisting from european as east asians sources.

The "valid explanation" is that our southern border is not the problem. Our problem is legal ports of entry and visa overstays. Combined with Americans willingly hiring illegals to begin with.

Any money on a physical barrier would be better spent addressing the actual problem points.

CZTSPc3.gif
Gotta love how you no longer hear them give the slightest toss about people hiring illegals now that Trump was caught doing it.

I think if you're breathing a sigh of relief that Trump's emergency declaration will be defeated in court, or relieved that he won't be able to fund it even if it is declared, you shouldn't be. I think the mere fact of a president who is willing to take that step (and previously showed a willingness to shut down the government to get what he wants) should be the rock solid evidence of just how dangerous this guy is. He will keep modifying his tactics until he gets what he wants.

The longer Trump remains in office, the longer America is skating on the slipperiest of slippery slopes.

American citizens being killed by illegals is no emergency to you.
If you mom/sister/niece/gf got raped and cut up by some illegal, I bet you'd change your mind. I can't imagine what I would do if something like that happened- they'd have to call a national guard to stop me.

The numbers show these people are far less likely to commit crimes than the general population. You're being hysterical.

It's French, actually. Just to keep things accurate.

I know lying is wrong, but if the elephant man came in now in a blouse with some make up on, and said “how do I look?” Would you say, bearing in mind he’s depressed and has respiratory problems, would you say “go and take that blusher off you mis-shapened elephant tranny”? No. You’d say ‘You look nice… John

I know lying is wrong, but if the elephant man came in now in a blouse with some make up on, and said “how do I look?” Would you say, bearing in mind he’s depressed and has respiratory problems, would you say “go and take that blusher off you mis-shapened elephant tranny”? No. You’d say ‘You look nice… John
<mma4>

Gotta love how you no longer hear them give the slightest toss about people hiring illegals now that Trump was caught doing it.

If we had a wall, there would be no illegals for Trump to hire. He's just trying to save himself from himself.

If we had a wall, there would be no illegals for Trump to hire. He's just trying to save himself from himself.
Except the ones he hired are all there on illegally obtained visas. The wall wouldn't prevent that.

And thats the lowest amount of people since 1972. Illegal crossing at the border is at historic lows.

https://www.cbp.gov/document/stats/...t-border-sector-apprehensions-fy-1960-fy-2017

How is something an emergency when it's at historic lows? Since 2006, the numbers have dropped to about a 1/3 of what they were in prior decades. A smart person would use funds to bolster the policies that have actually worked.

Ha! "Historic lows"...

We're talking 10,000 a week like thats a good thing. I would equate the historic lows for apprehensions not because its dwindling but lack of man power...

You do realize that CBP is understaffed and is forcing people from other locations the southern border due to being overwhelmed and understaffed.

But hey... No problems on the southern border. Just keep looking the other way guys. Again, the wall isnt the end all be all but its a very basic small step in a big problem. Democrats in the past have been for a barrier until trump stepped in.

Demrats completely open boarders at this point:

Beta ororke calling to Take down EXISTING walls. The rats use to pretend to be against illegal immigration, now they dont even pretend.

Demrats completely open boarders at this point:

Beta ororke calling to Take down EXISTING walls. The rats use to pretend to be against illegal immigration, now they dont even pretend.

You're pretending being against physical walls equates to open border policy. You have two choices, stop pretending or invigorate your being with more nuance.

You're pretending being against physical walls equates to open border policy. You have two choices, stop pretending or invigorate your being with more nuance.
Laughable, dumber by the minute liberals

Back