The UFC fight purses are pathetic...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:28 AM.

1. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

Look at it another way. THe UFC has a phenomenal business. They took two top ten fights with four non-draws, made up a couple titles to generate casual interest (which are never guarantees of even getting the title fight hahaha), and sold a PPV off of it. The non-'title' fights were all no-namers also. Phenomenal that they get people to buy that. I was amazed here as this was all UFC brand name and no fighter draws. Just made up titles and UFC brand. People even come back when there are technical issues.

VVarhead likes this.
  2. RampageFaction

RampageFaction Brown Belt

It was better for fighters. They were making zero before Reebok.

3. kickpuncher

kickpuncher Green Belt

The money probably could come from the PPV buys, Fox, Spike, ESPN, Reebok, etc. Who cares what other orgs pay, when the UFC is supposed to be the top dawg in all of the lands. UFC just sold for over 4 billion dollars, and keeps getting big time sponsors like ESPN, Reebok, Corn Nuts, etc. Lets not act like the UFC is paying their employees very well. A lot of them have to work 2nd jobs, and most still have to pay to train and pay to watch other UFC PPVs (apparently Frankie).

Imagine the NFL charging is players to train and watch other NFL games.

cburm likes this.
  4. DeathStroke

DeathStroke Orange Belt

The UFC isn't the NFL though. It doesn't generate anywhere near the same revenue, hence it doesn't pay anywhere near the same amount.

I think its very important to look at what other orgs pay. If the UFC was simply criminally underpaying fighters like everyone seems to believe, then another org could pay a teeny bit more and scoop up any and all fighters who wanted to earn market value salary.

The problem is that MMA fighters aren't as valuable to the world economy as you want them to be. The average human couldnt care less if someone like Kelvin Gastelum stopped fighting tomorrow.

Stop trying to overinflate fighters worth just because you think they "deserve" more.

linch likes this.
  5. Anaconda99

Anaconda99 Green Belt

The thing with this no win money is, people actually believe that ufc would pay more but they wouldn't, if the win money vanishes it wont be replaced by something else, MMA fighters should ask for mor money not talk about how win money is unnecessary, the UFC could say your right and just wing it and pretend to pay more but in the end it would be less over time, why would someone take away one branch of earning, if you get payed to show and win you have 2 paying but if its one the ufc will end up paying less. It would be like saying I don't want my way home reimbursed for work but I want more money.

6. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

2 words: Fighter's Union

problem solved.

justalurker likes this.
  7. Anaconda99

Anaconda99 Green Belt

Yeah as of now there is no such thing and it will never happen, people just like to repeat what they hear and think it makes sense without taking into consideration that businesses are dirty.

8. CRuck1980

CRuck1980 Gold Belt

then the purses are likely gonna get cut in half to compensate

9. bufetadanacara

bufetadanacara Black Belt

You seem to be quite condescending. Does that make you feel like you're superior? Is that a defense mechanism for something? You don't have to answer, I'm just curious.

Which part, of what I said, was wrong?
    Wait, you're right, it wasn't a night's work, it was 25 minutes. Or, do you think they get paid for their training too?

The amount of preparation be puts into a fight is completely up to him. The bottom line is that he agreed to that paycheck. He's a grown man, he made his decision.

How much money have you sent to him to compensate for this "terribly low" pay? I know you feel terrible about it.

How much more should he have got?

10. GhostPunch

GhostPunch You'll Never See it Coming

'Don King rips his fighters off."

Dana White: "Hold my beer"

Sharkey likes this.
  11. cheesus

cheesus Silver Belt

It's embarrassing, the purses don't even go up with inflation. Some of these guys are making 10k per fight, I nearly make that in a month.

The bonuses should be a lot higher and based of their current contract, fighters should be rewarded with longevity and consistency they've put into the UFC. OSP fought for a title and is making less than 100k per fight, Jouban has had over 10 UFC fights and is making less than 50k per fight. What does he take home after taxes, training costs etc...less than half ? If someone puts in 20 years in the fight game, they should have enough money for an early retirement.

The Reebok deal is just a kick in the nuts, it was more entertaining when they could wear what they want to walk outs, weigh ins etc and the money they get amounts to nothing. Much better of having their own sponsors. Reebok fucking sucks anyway, hasn't been good in about 20 years.

HI SCOTT NEWMAN likes this.
  12. philweed

philweed I'm the oldest I've ever been, right now.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!

What’s pathetic? That every single fighter on the card signed a contract and agreed to fight for the amount that’s disclosed? Or are you here to whine like a baby about a topic that’s been covered a fucking million times? Stay out of other dudes’ finances and worry about your own paycheck. I can guarantee every fighter on the planet can give a fuck what you get paid.

linch likes this.
  13. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

And remember thats before tax, manager fees, agent fees, training partner fees, camp fees, and diet fees, as we know its much much much much more money for a piece of vegan green leaf or seed than it is for a large pizza with fries and coke

EricCRF and RogerD like this.
  14. cheesus

cheesus Silver Belt

Hey Dana

15. Toad Rogan

Toad Rogan Ribbit

This is an embarrassing and ignorant take. Gastelum's 150k for "one nights work" is based on 6 years of fighting at the top level and a decade plus of training to be at the level he's at now. Acting as if these fighters could just show up and fight and not train and still make the money and do whatever else is fucking childish.

Obviously MMA doesn't generate as much revenue as the NFL or MLB or whatever other major sport you want to use as an example. But the revenue split between athletes and owners in all the major American sports leagues is roughly 50/50. In the UFC it's somewhere around 15% to fighters and 85% to owners. If you consider yourself a fan and don't see anything wrong with that then you're a shitty fan.

16. PicoPulse

PicoPulse Green Belt

Pimpin' aint easy

cburm likes this.
  17. iwillbebackin3weeks

iwillbebackin3weeks Purple Belt

14-17% vs 50-60%

Even Oscar payed his fighters 40-50%

cburm likes this.
  18. PicoPulse

PicoPulse Green Belt

Filled with premium ladyboys