the "this guy with X months of training" Sherdog meme

Best actual counter example in the thread so far but that is nearly a decade, not months or a year. You can become elite in a decade with dedication/athleticism in the very rare example of starting from 0. A CM Punk or LeBron James in MMA or Floyd or whoever in MMA with one year training regardless of money.... nah. It is all about respecting the skill. Same reason why it is idiotic to say an MMA guy beats Floyd in boxing. He is beyond elite and doing it his whole life... that gap isn't being bridged. No money or trash talk or hype changes that.

Just boils down to the gap of skill/training. Most untrained people just don't appreciate that gap in skill because they don't know how much it takes to build (which is why Sherdog has these comments... guys that never trained to be frank). It simply can't be bridged in a short time. You can be physically fit and sprawl day and night as a joe schmo and have some Olympian you paid 100K telling you "ok now sprawl!"... that life-long grappler is taking you down if you're just starting. If you can jump high enough to dunk a basketball... yeah that isn't changing it either.
JDS wasn't an athlete. The learning curve would be lower for athletes. A year is asking a lot though.

But you mentioned Floyd as your main example. Floyd is closer to Brock and Jon Jones than he is to JDS.

JDS wasn't an athlete. The learning curve would be lower for athletes. A year is asking a lot though.

But you mentioned Floyd as your main example. Floyd is closer to Brock and Jon Jones than he is to JDS.
My grappling bias may be showing here but... UFC 1 is why I say that about Floyd.

Grappling and no striking beats no grappling and striking. Nevermind grappling and basic striking vs striking (regardless of the level) and no grappling. Imposition of styles etc. Which is why the guys that take to it in short order (Brock/Jones) are nearly always lifelong grapplers FIRST.

Oh? What about JDS, who wasn't by even an athlete of any kind, as I stated?

In boxing there was Sergio Martinez who started at 20 and became a top P4P boxer.

20 is still a young age, you're still developing. If they made the switch being that young then it could be, but I'm talking about guys who have an established career in the NFL.

I really doubt any 30+ year old NFL dude would succeed unless he had a martial arts base.

My grappling bias may be showing here but... UFC 1 is why I say that about Floyd.

Grappling and no striking beats no grappling and striking. Nevermind grappling and basic striking vs striking (regardless of the level) and no grappling. Imposition of styles etc. Which is why the guys that take to it in short order (Brock/Jones) are nearly always lifelong grapplers FIRST.
Grappling is typically better, but there are always exceptions.

It took Cro Cop and Mark Hunt extremely little grappling training to be elite in MMA.

20 is still a young age, you're still developing. If they made the switch being that young then it could be, but I'm talking about guys who have an established career in the NFL.

I really doubt any 30+ year old NFL dude would succeed unless he had a martial arts base.
There are always exceptions. No doubt some 30 year NFL player could do it after 7 or so years or less, like JDS.

There are also plenty of NFL players who wrestled. Like Jon Jones brother, Arthur - though he'd have to lose a ton of weight.

Brock was in his 30's.
floyd's style is not fit for a real fight, you cant shoulder roll a leg kick
There are probably guys more suited. But you can't rule Floyd out. He is one of the GOATs in a sport that is a core base of MMA. That means he isn't a random NFL player.

Like I said, he's closer to Brock or Jon Jones.

Grappling is typically better, but there are always exceptions.

It took Cro Cop and Mark Hunt extremely little grappling training to be elite in MMA.
True. But obviously they were elite strikers (kickboxers instead of boxers at that). My point was basically to highlight that normal people don't understand the gap between trained and untrained. Obviously all the NBA/NFL talk is a hypothetical about people with 0 background in combat sports.

While rolling you know how we amateurs (some decently athletic, some not) helped a pro once when other pros aren't in the gym for him? Trying to take the guy down back to back, each guy fresh blitzing him relentlessly then after 1 minute another guy blitzing etc. 10 guys (various levels of athleticism) rested with no significant weight disadvantage and he is shrugging them off with no breaks for him whatsoever. Went through the whole 10 guys multiple times. That gap just isn't understood by most... and normal people think that if one of the 10 guys could dunk he'd outgrapple the pro guy after a few months of drilling TDs?

There are always exceptions. No doubt some 30 year NFL player who do it after 7 or so years or less, like JDS.

JDS wasn't 30.

If he trained 7 years then he would be 37, which is not a good age to start fighting. Physical abilities would have already declined by then and he would have to rely more on technique and experience which he wouldn't have.

I don't see it.

I had someone today on sherdog tell me with 1 year of training in jiu jitsu Floyd would be tapping people at will. They were 100% serious too.

Who is that supposed to represent? Brock? If so we already brought him up (lifelong wrestler).

Nah, there's been several threads started about how a gorilla would do in the UFC.

JDS wasn't 30.

If he trained 7 years then he would be 37, which is not a good age to start fighting. Physical abilities would have already declined by then and he would have to rely more on technique and experience which he wouldn't have.

I don't see it.
NFL players are not waiter JDS.

And I'm sure there are many NFL players who at 37 would be better suited for MMA than 27 year old JDS. Including many former wrestlers.

As I said, I think most would get wrecked. But there would be exceptions who could be champ. The NFL has 53*32=1,696 players.

Because Brock didn't become UFC champ in his 4th fight and beat a bunch of people with years more striking experience than he had......

HW is a freekshow its different when ur same weight

NFL players are not waiter JDS.

And I'm sure there are many NFL players who at 37 would be better suited for MMA than 27 year old JDS. Including many former wrestlers.

As I said, I think most would get wrecked. But there would be exceptions who could be champ. The NFL has 53*32=1,696 players.

I'd pick JDS over any 37 year old NFL player.

I'd pick JDS over any 37 year old NFL player.
Well an untrained one obviously.

But of course we are talking about a former NFL player with 7-8 years of training.

It's a virtual certainty that if ALL NFL players aged 30 or more trained as long as JDS did, some would turn out better than JDS did. Especially given, again, many wrestled for years.

Back