Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

Discovery-season-4-Cardassian.jpg

Here is the Federation President in Season 4 of DSC. Appears to be a Bajoran-Cardassian hybrid. Do you think they united to form an alliance during the burn years? Are both now Federation members.

In the non-canon books, Cardassia joined the Khitomer accords and formed a formal alliance along with the federation, Klingon Empire, Talarian Repubic and Ferengi alliance, to counteract the Typhon pact(Roumlans, Breen, Tzenkehi, Gorn, Tholian, and Kinshaya) I could see something like that happening.

Here is the Federation President in Season 4 of DSC. Appears to be a Bajoran-Cardassian hybrid. Do you think they united to form an alliance during the burn years? Are both now Federation members.

In the non-canon books, Cardassia joined the Khitomer accords and formed a formal alliance along with the federation, Klingon Empire, Talarian Repubic and Ferengi alliance, to counteract the Typhon pact(Roumlans, Breen, Tzenkehi, Gorn, Tholian, and Kinshaya) I could see something like that happening.

They’ve already shown a Cardassian-Bajoran hybrid before in Dukat’s daughter Ziyal.

If I had to venture a guess I’d say that woman appears to be mostly Bajoran with maybe a single grandparent or great-grandparent of cardassian ancestry as unlike Ziyal she lacks the skin coloration of a cardassian.

I wonder if that chick has Cardassian neckbones

They’ve already shown a Cardassian-Bajoran hybrid before in Dukat’s daughter Ziyal.

If I had to venture a guess I’d say that woman appears to be mostly Bajoran with maybe a single grandparent or great-grandparent of cardassian ancestry as unlike Ziyal she lacks the skin coloration of a cardassian.
I know, that's why I'm thinking they may have united at some point. Like maybe one was dying out or something.

By the way, I was watching the episode of ENT where the Orions take over the crew and thought one of the hot Orion looked familiar. Turns out it was the same actress who played Ziyal.

000g9th0

I know it's Stargate, but this pic captured the essence of Jack O'Neill

xITAmoa.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what Gul Dukat's first name is.
I mean Garak's first name is Elim, so I know Cardassians have first names.
I bet his name is Jimmy Dukat.

How cool of a Cardassian name is Inabrin Tain

Last edited:
I wonder what Gul Dukat's first name is.
I mean Garak's first name is Elim, so I know Cardassians have first names.
I bet his name is Jimmy Dukat.

How cool of a Cardassian name is Inabrin Tain
Yeah, they never did give him a full name as I recall. Might be some old man's name, like Horace.

He was typecast. No doubt about that. It happens to far too many fine actors and actresses.

"Hide and Q" was a rather revealing episode in regards to the inner psychology of Roddenberry. Not only was Wesley (Roddenberry) the ship's boy genius extraordinaire, while retaining his intellectual capacities, he was going to develop into this champion chad, who I am certain the ladies found irresistible. Roddenberry's id in a nutshell.

Speaking of Roddenberry. I am currently going through the bluray of TNG and there are some pretty good bonus materials with lots and lots of interviews. The sense I get from them is that everyone working on the show has tremendous respect for him, however, especially the writers, were frustrated at some of the "Star Trek principles" that Roddenberry insisted on, the biggest one being that Federation crews are so evolved that they don't really have conflict with each other. So writers have to come up with ways to make it happen (Alien mind control) I feel like since Roddenberry's gradual decreased involvement due to health and eventual death, quality of TNG actually improved noticeably. I think the season 4-7 of TNG was the perfect balance of maintaining Roddenberry's vision while not having so much restriction because of it so writers could write the best shows. I think the Abram's Star Trek movies would not have been made if Gene was still alive and involved because it lost so much of the essence of what made it Star Trek.

Speaking of Roddenberry. I am currently going through the bluray of TNG and there are some pretty good bonus materials with lots and lots of interviews. The sense I get from them is that everyone working on the show has tremendous respect for him, however, especially the writers, were frustrated at some of the "Star Trek principles" that Roddenberry insisted on, the biggest one being that Federation crews are so evolved that they don't really have conflict with each other. So writers have to come up with ways to make it happen (Alien mind control) I feel like since Roddenberry's gradual decreased involvement due to health and eventual death, quality of TNG actually improved noticeably. I think the season 4-7 of TNG was the perfect balance of maintaining Roddenberry's vision while not having so much restriction because of it so writers could write the best shows. I think the Abram's Star Trek movies would not have been made if Gene was still alive and involved because it lost so much of the essence of what made it Star Trek.

Roddenberry clashed with most of the ST & TNG writers. He had glaring leadership flaws, dating all the way back to his air force days, many of which likely stemmed from control issues at home. If you want to glean more knowledge regarding his professional relationships, I would recommend reading the Joel Engel biography. His book also covers Roddenberry's involvement with The Nine. It's funny, because Gene Roddenberry did not believe in aliens or the supernatural at all.

For all of his personal foibles, including the inordinate consumption of various drugs and a clear lack of writing ability or business ethics, the man was exceptionally fascinating. For example, I was reading another 800 page ST history book, and Roddenberry passed away at around 200 pages in. It became astonishingly mundane after that point. Which to me, sums up Star Trek, post Roddenberry. I like Rick Berman. He protected the franchise and saw out the original vision of TNG to completion (especially the Data and Picard arc). Nevertheless, Berman and co were just not as enigmatic as Nimoy, or enterprising as Harve Bennett.

I prefer seasons 4-7 as well, sans the increasing overeager reliance on technobabble to move a story along.

All said, there were valid reasons why the studio marginalized Roddenberry's involvement in the movies. He almost certainly would have squashed the new films, and likely Deep Space Nine, according to his personal secretary.

Also said, it was Nimoy who was supposed to take over creative oversight of Star Trek in 1987 with TNG but turned it down, acquiescing control back to Roddenberry and giving rise to Berman. Nimoy felt that TNG could not rekindle the magic of the original cast.

Gene still had brilliant flashes of creativity and his old writing chops early on in TNG, but it was pretty clear to everyone he was in rapid mental decline. The Trek Nation documentary his son did, shows some examples of this on how in mid-interview he would forget what he was talking about, to start rambling. DC Fontana described while driving around the paramount backlot, with Gene in a golf cart, he seemingly forgets how to operate it, mid-ride.

Gene's whole thing about TNG, was that Wesley was supposed to represent him in youth, Riker in mid-life, and Picard in later life. That's not really how he acted, but that's what he wanted to portray of himself. That along with his hope in his ideals for the future , really tied the writers hand behind their back early on. Rick Berman and Micheal Pillar are really the ones who guided Star Trek, and knew how to appease Gene to his face while doing what needed to be done for the show.

Star Trek Prodigy teaser trailer. Pretty damn impressive quality for a kids show.

FYI for everyone claiming that there's no way Star Trek gets good ratings or it's going to be canceled soon...

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/alex-kurtzman-star-trek-michelle-yeoh-section-31-1235032085/

Star Trek Captain Alex Kurtzman Extends TV Pact With CBS Studios to 2026

headshot4-e1627782379913.jpg

CBS Studios
Alex Kurtzman, the prolific producer who pilots the Star Trek franchise for CBS Studios and Paramount Plus, has extended his exclusive overall TV deal with the ViacomCBS units through 2026.

Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout banner will expand under the new agreement to add an executive to help manage its growing slate of series. Longtime Kurtzman partner Heather Kadin remains the head of content for Secret Hideout, which is shepherding five Star Trek-branded series for CBS Studios and Paramount Plus, along with drama and limited series such as Showtime’s “The Comey Rule” and the upcoming “The Man Who Fell to Earth.” The company has become a reliable supplier of high-end shows for CBS, Showtime and Paramount Plus.

Kurtzman is known for his agility in balancing multiple roles as creator, writer, producer, director and showrunner. Secret Hideout has planted its flag at CBS Studios since 2016, although Kurtzman has worked with the studio for more than a decade on such series as “Hawaii Five-0,” “Scorpion” and “Salvation.”

Keeping Kurtzman in the ViacomCBS family was important to the conglomerate at a moment of skyrocketing competition for top creative talent. Kurtzman is the creative steward who plots out the storylines and distribution strategies for Star Trek content for years to come. At present the Trek tote board encompasses Paramount Plus’ “Star Trek: Discovery,” “Star Trek: Picard,” “Star Trek: Lower Decks” and the upcoming animated series “Star Trek: Prodigy” for Nickelodeon aimed at introducing the “Star Trek” world to a new generation. And on tap for next year is another origins story series, “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds,” which will follow the early space-trotting adventures of Capt. Christopher Pike as well as Spock and Number One.

“Alex’s vision and leadership of the Star Trek franchise and his ability to create artistic and commercial series across all platforms put him in a special class of creative talent,” said George Cheeks, president and CEO of CBS. “His substantial accomplishments at CBS and the spirit of collaboration we enjoy with his team are greatly valued and we are excited to build on his already impressive slate far into the future.”

Heather-Kadin-Headshot_2019.jpeg

Heather KadinSecret Hideout
Kurtzman also guides all of the Star Trek universe’s digital content, social media, podcasts and games as well as merchandising and collectibles. Secret Hideout will recruit a franchise manager to help oversee the Star Trek frontier. Secret Hideout noted that it remains in development on another Trek series “Section 31,” with Michelle Yeoh (an alum of “Star Trek: Discovery”) attached to star. Also working with Kadin at Secret Hideout are Aaron Baiers, senior vice president, and Robyn Johnson, director of development.

“Alex’s vision and breadth of interest is unmatched as he and his team have re-ignited the Star Trek franchise with five (and counting) brilliantly unique series, while at the same time creating long-running hit series for both the (CBS) network and premium spaces,” said CBS Studios president David Stapf. “As an artist, Alex does it all. Not only is he a visionary who creates worlds, he has that rare skill of being able to write, direct, produce and inspire those who work with him to be the best version of themselves.”

Kurtzman has stayed busy outside of Star Trek content with a range of other shows and as a hands-on creator, showrunner and director. Upcoming projects include an adaptation of the cult-fave Walter Tevis novel “The Man Who Fell to Earth,” which Kurtzman is steering with executive producer Jenny Lumet. Lumet and Kurtzman are also teaming on a Lena Horne biopic series for Showtime (Horne is Lumet’s grandmother). Secret Hideout is also developing a project about FBI stalwart Eliot Ness’ long pursuit of mob boss Al Capone.

aaron-e1627791116572.jpg

Aaron BaiersCBS
Other projects in the works at Secret Hideout include “New York Times at Special Bargain Rates,” based on a Stephen King short story, adapted by Jessica Mecklenberg, and it has a number of book options including “The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind” by Jackson Ford.

Kurtzman praised CBS Studios as having been a nurturing home for his TV efforts for mroe than 10 years.

“CBS Studios has been my home for over a decade because the incomparable David Stapf always finds a way to demonstrate his decency and creative passion, not just for the work we do, but for the many people who do it,” he said.

Kurtzman credited David Nevins, Showtime chief and Paramount Plus scripted chief, as being “a rare breed executive with auteur taste and the guts to take chances, who’s encouraged us to create premium streaming and cable that pushes boundaries.” And he credited Cheeks with helping to guide Secret Hideout and himself “with thoughtful care and strategic brilliance, as the rules of our business grow and change daily. As Secret Hideout expands its footprint across ViacomCBS, I can imagine no greater partners, and I’m so excited to tell more stories together for years to come.”

Rewatching some Voyager.

What a difference between Seven of Nine and Kes.

Season 2 of Lower Decks starts Thursday 12am PST. The year round Star Tewk on TV cycle that they have been planning for years begins.

Fall 21 lower Decks
Early Winter 21 Prodigy
Winter 21 season 4 Discovery
Winter/spring 22 Strange new worlds
Spring/summer 22 Picard season 2

Picard season 3 is filming now, lower decks season 3 is currently being animated. Production of season 5 of DSC and season 2 of Prodigy start in a few weeks. Steabge new worlds will likely start filming season 2 in 22. New series section 31 and Star fleet academy likely to be announced soon.

I've been rewatching all the old Deep Space Nine episodes. I've been appreciating this series so much more than when I was younger especially after I was shown how much I had taken for granted throughout the 90's with the Ted-Kennedy-behind-a-car-wheel level catastrophe the two modern series turned out to be.

Quark really is the central character of the series, and who would have thought the show's greatest wisdoms would be stored in their "Rules of Acquisition". While dickering...
"Make it 1200. I still have my dignity."
"Rule of acquisition #109: dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack."

5j5djf.jpg

I've been rewatching all the old Deep Space Nine episodes. I've been appreciating this series so much more than when I was younger especially after I was shown how much I had taken for granted throughout the 90's with Ted-Kennedy-behind-a-car-wheel level catastrophe the two modern series turned out to be.

Quark really is the central character of the series, and who would have thought the show's greatest wisdoms would be stored in their "Rules of Acquisition". While dickering...
"Make it 1200. I still have my dignity."
"Rule of acquisition #109: dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack."

5j5djf.jpg

When he goes back to Ferenginar to his Moogie and The Nagus is in his closet is epic.

Back