Movies The Shining Sequel DOCTOR SLEEP

If you have seen DOCTOR SLEEP, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Nothing to do tonight - thinking of going to see this in an hour or so.

I read the book, and I honestly remember nothing from it other than the fact he working in a nursing home, and there was a cat who could sense when people were going to die.

Considering I am normally a huge fan of the universes created by Steven King, the book was a forgettable afterthought, so I don't have a lot of hope for the movie.

We need a proper remake to the Dark Tower (The Idris Elba remake was an abomination) and The Stand.

Stephen King is a fucking hack. He just writes so many damn books that some of them accidentally end up being decent. It's like that whole million monkeys typing for a million years thing.

He should thank his lucky stars Kubrick chose his shitty book as the base for a story that he would rewrite until it was good.

Have you guys seen the terrible version of the shining starring Stephen Weber? That was King's version.

It sucked.

That's what King can do without Kubrick--suck.

8/10.

Great movie. One of the better adaptations. Likeable Hero, villains who are easy to hate. Over two hrs but it went by pretty fast.

I too loved the fuck out of this.

I adored each Shining reference and got giddy when we got to see things as they were. However, everything in between i liked as well...maybe more than the nostalgia insertions.

Kinda wished the indian from Fargo didnt talk that much. Hes more menacing when hes quiet.

I'm sorry. I don't need to see a bunch of adults slowly torture a child to death. I just don't.

Stephen King is a fucking hack. He just writes so many damn books that some of them accidentally end up being decent. It's like that whole million monkeys typing for a million years thing.

He should thank his lucky stars Kubrick chose his shitty book as the base for a story that he would rewrite until it was good.

Have you guys seen the terrible version of the shining starring Stephen Weber? That was King's version.

It sucked.

That's what King can do without Kubrick--suck.

I can’t completely disagree here tbh. I’ve never fully understood Kings standing as this untouchable writer. I’ve read most of his early stuff and a lot of his short stories.. his books almost always start out great (The Stand especially).. but the way he wraps shit up is some ‘tha fuq?’ type shit.

He does have some really good short stories tho. Count me amongst the group of people that think he’s better suited to that realm.

Buuuut.. he does have a handful of really good books too. A lot of misses tho. The best adaptation I’ve seen of any of his series was the Image (I think it was Image) ‘Dark Tower’ graphic novels. That shit is really well done.

Apparently, from the director who also brought us: Oujia board, the movie.

God, I wish I was kidding.

And I wish I knew this before going to see it.

This fuckin guy.

D38-A62-E8-036-B-41-F8-A277-2-BDBB32-DE96-C.jpg

This fuckin guy.

Bro should just shave it off. Looks pathetic. Like him.

Bro should just shave it off. Looks pathetic. Like him.

To be fair, I’m being kind of a petty cunt here. If the movie was brilliant, he could look however he wanted, and suddenly I would probably think it was cool.

The fact is though, the movie is obnoxiously bad, steaming hot garbage. And so his punchable face, & overall child molester aesthetic aren’t exactly helping matters.

To be fair, I’m being kind of a petty cunt here. If the movie was brilliant, he could look however he wanted, and suddenly I would probably think it was cool.

The fact is though, the movie is obnoxiously bad, steaming hot garbage. And so his punchable face, & overall child molester aesthetic aren’t exactly helping matters.

let-the-hate-flow-through-you-emperor-palpatine-meme.jpg

Saw it last night. Thought it was fantastic.

This fuckin guy.

Haven't seen the film yet, but he did well with Oculus, Hush, and The Haunting of Hill House. Haven't seen Gerald's Game, but I've heard good things about it.

I got around to watching it a few days ago. I had to wait until home release because literally 50% of the theaters stopped showing this movie after 2 weeks.

Anyway I enjoyed it a lot despite some of the well documented issues most reviewers had with the third act. This movie really excels in three areas for me;

1.) Casting(Rebecca Ferguson killed it as Rose the Hat, Ewan was great as usual, most of the kid actors were very good)
2.) Visuals(Cinematography was excellent, great set design and the CGI was on point)
3.) Story(I loved the lore of the Knot life vampires....the genius of stealing life from others I wonder was the Queen of the Nile Twilight Episode from 1964)

I do think the there is some misc issues with the some parts of the plot and the third act felt rushed with some parts coming close to being hokey briefly but I the movie was way to strong for that to detract that much. I feel like this movie could have been incredibly good with some relatively minor adjustments. I'd actually say the 252 min run time was too short and in an ideal world this would have been more like 3 hours in total and probably work best in a 2-3 part miniseries(3 hour movies in one sitting are too long). Apparently the directors cut is worth viewing from what I am reading though it's not in 4k, only standard bluray.

Fucking sucks that this bombed at the box office with all of the lame shit that generates money these days. The idea that IT Chapter 2 made more money in a single day than Dr Sleep made in it's entire theater run speaks to the stupidity level of what can generate big money.

Back