Movies The Shining Sequel DOCTOR SLEEP

If you have seen DOCTOR SLEEP, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Not liking something is being elitist abut it?
<{Joewithit}>

Okay, I think I see where you got that from. Dude, that’s way too grammar Nazi over a post on a Karate forum. I gotta be able to assume there is at least enough comprehension on the reader’s part that I don’t have to spell out the painfully obvious.

The movies was fantastic.

Saw it last night and thought it was mediocre. There were some very good performances - McGregor, chick who played Rose, Abra - mixed in with some really mediocre ones. Story was kind of wack IMO.

Bad guys went down way too easy. And the whole "OMG I gotta go back to the Overlook" I felt was really crudely shoehorned in. You've already established A) these baddies are vulnerable like regulars humans and can be killed by guns and car accidents and B) Abra's shine is WAY stronger than Rose's. Even with the added power of consuming those canisters, it's still 2v1 against Rose.

But "hey, even though we have a 2v1 advantage and this black girl is way stronger than Rose, lets drive across the country and go to the Overlook, where I already acknowledged it's super dangerous for me and this 13 year old girl, because even though I KNOW it's dangerous for us, it MIGHT be dangerous for Rose too. This is a much better plan than just distracting her and having someone blew her brains out, like we did to like a dozen of her friends." So fucking retarded. I get that they wanted to get the Overlook in there for the nostalgia and it was Danny confronting his past and closing the book on it, but the reason he went there was absolutely retarded and poorly written. I hope the book isn't that stupid.

Obviously lots of references to the Shining. From characters, sets and props to even mimicking certain camera shots and movements that Kubrick used in The Shining. So as a big Shining fan (it's in my top 5 movies of all time) I enjoyed that. But whatever for the rest.

6/10 from me. I've been reading people actually saying this was just as good as The Shining. There's nothing I can do about that, but if I hear someone saying that in person they're catching a headbutt.

All I heard was that it should satisfy fans of both the Shining book and movie.

I haven't read The Shining or Doctor Sleep, but I imagine Stephen King was happy because he hated the fact Kubrick downplayed the alcoholism aspect of his book, where in this movie alcoholism is a big theme.

This was the best movie I’ve seen in a long time. I’m a fan of both the Shining and Dr. Sleep novels, and the Kubrick film, and this movie brings them all together so well. I went in without even watching a trailer but right before the movie started, there was a featurette about recreating the Overlook Hotel and I started to get worried, but everything was done so well.

I had very few issues with this movie, one of them being some bad looking cgi on a corpse’s moving mouth so the last thing I wanted to see were cgi abominations of actors from 1980. Thankfully, they used new actors instead. I know there’s going to be deep fakes of these scenes on YouTube in the future, which will be cool to see, but I’m glad there wasn’t anything like that in the actual movie. Let us see actors act without all that distraction. Speaking of distractions, Ewan McGregor talking with an American accent... I don’t know if it was because it was bad or just weird to hear, but it bothered my ears. That’s probably because I’m far more used to hearing him as Obi-wan Kenobi than anything else.

Bottom line is, if you enjoyed both novels and Kubrick’s film, you’ll love this movie. If you’re elitist about any one of the aforementioned, you probably won’t enjoy it. For me, it was everything I could’ve hoped for.

9.5/10

I'm not going to begrudge anyone for liking a movie, but when you say this movie is 9.5 out of a possible 10, you're saying that this is a near perfect movie. A 9.5/10 would put this movie into "masterpiece" territory.

Are you telling us that Doctor Sleep was a near-perfect masterpiece in filmmaking, or would you care to readjust your rating?

Loved it ... solid 8/10

The beginning was really worrying me and that was the sound design, the use of music and effects didn't fit the movie at all and it felt like a jump scare movie and my heart sank in the first ten minutes.. then it settled down after the first bit .. it was just really off.. completly out of pace for the kind of atmosphere the movie was trying to be .. a bit later on it did the same things again with the sound effects but it wasn't as bad ..

Overall it was a great movie, i found the bits when Danny was at the nursing home very moving.. also the bad guys were great..

Having a tough time getting a grasp on how good this movie is from reviews. It's doing absolute shit at the box office and the reviews are either just short of great(4/5) or mediocre.

Having a tough time getting a grasp on how good this movie is from reviews. It's doing absolute shit at the box office and the reviews are either just short of great(4/5) or mediocre.

Taxi Driver isn’t exactly family or a date movie but it’s a great movie.

Doctor Sleep is a very good movie and did an admirable job trying to stick to the novel and pay its respect to the film adaptation. I’m stumped as to why it’s not doing well at the box office but it goes to show maybe moviegoers don’t care about The Shining compared to when it first came about. It’s a sequel and it’s not Avengers Endgame where all moviegoers were hyped to see.

The Shining gets so much hype as a Classic but casual moviegoers don’t really remember the movie. How many people do you know can actually recall the plot to The Shining and the ending? People tend to remember Nicholson with the ax scene.

IT apparently did well they could make the sequel based on the novel sequel.

It’s a shame it’s not doing well at the box office when it’s really a good movie with solid acting and story adaptation.

Was Doctor Sleep even a popular book outside of Stephen King fanatics? It was only put out 6 years ago, so no real time to become a "classic" that people are dying to see made into a film. And I don't think real film lovers want a sequel to The Shining in any large numbers.That coupled with a long runtime probably caused the financial headaches.

I'm not going to begrudge anyone for liking a movie, but when you say this movie is 9.5 out of a possible 10, you're saying that this is a near perfect movie. A 9.5/10 would put this movie into "masterpiece" territory.

Are you telling us that Doctor Sleep was a near-perfect masterpiece in filmmaking, or would you care to readjust your rating?

I’m rating my experience, that is all, and I had an absolutely fantastic experience watching this movie. I’m not a film critic or movie snob so take it or leave it.

I’m rating my experience, that is all, and I had an absolutely fantastic experience watching this movie. I’m not a film critic or movie snob so take it or leave it.

Hey, I'm happy you had such a great experience, and I'm not trying to disagree with you - after all, it's your opinion, we all have our tastes.

Just saying... at 9.5 out of a possible 10... would you say this movie ranks among the greatest experiences you've ever had at a movie theater? What's the last movie you saw in theatres that you would give a 9.5 or 10? I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Taxi Driver isn’t exactly family or a date movie but it’s a great movie.

Doctor Sleep is a very good movie and did an admirable job trying to stick to the novel and pay its respect to the film adaptation. I’m stumped as to why it’s not doing well at the box office but it goes to show maybe moviegoers don’t care about The Shining compared to when it first came about. It’s a sequel and it’s not Avengers Endgame where all moviegoers were hyped to see.

I can only speak for myself, but the marketing felt almost non-existent. I think I saw maybe one ad for it. I also think "Doctor Sleep" is an awful title, that doesn't really allude to it's "Shining" roots to the average person. If you knew nothing about it, you'd probably see that title and think it was some kind of run of the mill slasher flick.

Doesnt the opening weekend box office end when sunday ends?

I havent thought of watching it until today, merely because theres other shit to do on fri and sat nights.

I'm going to see it. Even though "Joker" was definitely different, it was still comic book shtuff.. We can't just have that. We need to support Ewan. I do not know why, but we do.

Loved it ... solid 8/10

The beginning was really worrying me and that was the sound design, the use of music and effects didn't fit the movie at all and it felt like a jump scare movie and my heart sank in the first ten minutes.. then it settled down after the first bit .. it was just really off.. completly out of pace for the kind of atmosphere the movie was trying to be .. a bit later on it did the same things again with the sound effects but it wasn't as bad ..

Overall it was a great movie, i found the bits when Danny was at the nursing home very moving.. also the bad guys were great..
Sexy join date, bro. That's around when I first started coming around.

Sexy join date, bro. That's around when I first started coming around.

Is'nt it .. i had just got back from OZ .. been travelling a whole year, my buddy was sending me VHS tapes with current Pride FC's so I could catch up.. good times..

Is'nt it .. i had just got back from OZ .. been travelling a whole year, my buddy was sending me VHS tapes with current Pride FC's so I could catch up.. good times..
Guy I worked with around 2002 told me about Pride and this place. He also inadvertently got me into mountain biking. The things he introduced me to actually had a pretty big impact on my life, even though he wasn't anything that spectacular himself. He was a solid dude who didn't do drugs/drink all the time, which is what I had got away from a couple years before. I hadn't met many like that lol. I saw him getting sushi like 6 years ago, and I was more forward with his because of the impact he had without knowing it. I wonder if he is still here lol. He told me about a Sakuraba instructional; tape/dvd, and I went into a martial arts sales place to ask about it, and the dude gave me an attitude like I was a loser asking for something stupid, when he was likely into completely fake martial arts. I hope a couple years later when reality hit he remembered me and what I asked about.

Guy I worked with around 2002 told me about Pride and this place. He also inadvertently got me into mountain biking. The things he introduced me to actually had a pretty big impact on my life, even though he wasn't anything that spectacular himself. He was a solid dude who didn't do drugs/drink all the time, which is what I had got away from a couple years before. I hadn't met many like that lol. I saw him getting sushi like 6 years ago, and I was more forward with his because of the impact he had without knowing it. I wonder if he is still here lol. He told me about a Sakuraba instructional; tape/dvd, and I went into a martial arts sales place to ask about it, and the dude gave me an attitude like I was a loser asking for something stupid, when he was likely into completely fake martial arts. I hope a couple years later when reality hit he remembered me and what I asked about.

I can't even remember how I found this place.. I do remember a character called Bruce £"!£$%^£ somebody, i think that was his name.. could have that wrong.
Yeah its strange how some strangers we meet and then never see again have an impact on us, theres about 3 or 4 people I would love to catch up with.. but I don't think I ever will.

Seeing it in under an hour.

You chaps have hyped this now.

Okay, I think I see where you got that from. Dude, that’s way too grammar Nazi over a post on a Karate forum. I gotta be able to assume there is at least enough comprehension on the reader’s part that I don’t have to spell out the painfully obvious.
Sweet backtrack

Back