Movies The Shining Sequel DOCTOR SLEEP

If you have seen DOCTOR SLEEP, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
So this was one of my quarantine movies.. Rented it. With my current money, that's saying something.

It was good. It was predictable past a certain point, and I knew how it would end literally half way through. Actually, 10 minutes in I knew somewhat what would happen in the end.

I would say the movie is a little overrated in here, based on how crappy a lot of modern movies are now. It's not bad, but there were things that needed to be fleshed out much, much more. The rest of the "suckers" died from gun-shots.. Rose's extra power and need for something completely different needed to be fleshed out. The need for the hotel and the ghosts needed to be fleshed out. That would be a last resort.

Danny should have ended up joining his dad at the party. Jack looked happy in the picture at the end of 'The Shining.' The one thing I expected and didn't get (I literally predicted everything that was going to happen) was to see Danny and his dad in the picture at the party looking happy.. Maybe even the mom. The hotel itself could have been given more depth.. Maybe a reason for the evilness, or even a chance at redemption? Maybe Jack Torrance redemption? Maybe the hotel being thankful Danny brought the party back? Maybe Danny had to go back to redeem his father? Something.. But basically Danny going there with Abra made no sense on any level.

Anyways, if you had the plot explained to you, you wouldn't think it was going to be a "good" movie. I think it was, however. It was good. Not great.

Last edited:
I didn't hate it.

I actually liked it more than the book, although the baseball boy scene was pretty fucked up.

I didn't hate it.

I actually liked it more than the book, although the baseball boy scene was pretty fucked up.
It was. Not sure we should be desensitized to children suffering, and it almost didn't fit/wasn't necessary for the movie to move forward. A single scream could have been enough.

Oh, and Danny Torrance should have been shown using his power more to his advantage as an adult. He would know what cards other people had, and know what the hole card was that dealers looked at playing black-jack.

More could have been done showing the cool things done with "the shining."

i made the mistake of watching the movie while only having read 55% of the book, and now I'm sludging through the book at the pace of molasses.

the 'guns' part seemed kinda out of scope for this movie to me

Lol has anybody seen the 3 hour (!) directors cut of the movie?

being as I LOVE the shining, I was skeptical of this movie- especially after I saw the trailer- but after watching the full movie I was pleasantly surprised- it was much better than I thought it would be- gets a good from me

Obviously the trailer will connect the two to get attention. I can’t go into details without spoilers, but there are differences between the shining novel and movie, and the story King wrote ignores the movie adaptation.
thank God kubrick changed the ending because kings ending was stupid af

Solid movie for sure. Had a little shining vibe, while still being a different movie on its own.

8/10

Was decent/good. I enjoyed it, although it had some cheesy elements too. They did a wonderful job recreating the Overlook and bringing those Kubrick sets back to life. I’m a big Kubrick fan though, and The Shining is my all time favorite movie—so for me, there’s no comparison. Doctor Sleep isn’t even remotely close to as good a film, but it was worth seeing and I enjoyed it.

Back