The Real NCAA tournament tonight

Funny how the announcers were talking about what they would consider to be their perfect heavyweight attribute-wise. They said 6'4, 285, athletic, can change levels quickly. Reminds me of a certain NCAA champ turned WWE superstar turned UFC fighter.

Funny how the announcers were talking about what they would consider to be their perfect heavyweight attribute-wise. They said 6'4, 285, athletic, can change levels quickly. Reminds me of a certain NCAA champ turned WWE superstar turned UFC fighter.

Brock was a monster, but I'll never forget wes hand picking him up like a baby his senior year... but brock won in the end..dang it.

It was great to see wrestling on ESPN. I've been out of the wrestling scene for a long time, but watching brought back memories.

Kudos to the 8th seed (can't remember the name) who beat the #1 and 2 guys to win the Gold.

Wondering when I'll see these guys fighting MMA now that there's something for wrestlers to do if they can't go to the Olympics.

That was fun to watch.. better than some of the weak UFC cards. That kid got kneebarred like crazy, turned into it but a second too late, looks like hyperextended it laterally. Then he kept wrestling and won.. fuckin amazing.

Where do they draw the line on submissions? People seem to control limbs all the time, and try to pull guys over with the RNC grip.. they even have a "gable grip" named after what is presumably a chokehold. Can someone clarify?

I just started watching this kind of wrestling when i got dish network. The guys are freaky fast and strong, and it's a really technical sport. But I don't understand all the rules, and the ref interrupts way too often.

they even have a "gable grip" named after what is presumably a chokehold. Can someone clarify?

A gable grip is just a type of grip. It is considered by most grappling sport athletes as the toughest grip to break. It is named after Dan Gable who is widely considered the best wrestler of all time, who then went on to coach Iowa and become widely considered the best coach of all time.

Here is a picture shamelessly stolen from Aesopian:

246083595_87b07cd725.jpg

Although Mendes lost, his rolling ankle lock he caught on Jagger was beautiful. Even broke Jagger's ankle with it (who grunted it out and still took the win which was impressive).

Loved the Perry/Tannenbaum bout also. Perry's style is fun to watch.

Might I add also that these guys need to increase their awarness of leg holds. Jagger and Perry were pefect examples of what could happen when you don't have any flexability in your legs and you don't know how to either roll with the leg holds or escape them.

For instance, in Perry's situation he pretty much screwed himself over (and knowing his meniscus wasn't fully healed) by keeping his leg straight when Tannenbaum had the knee bar on him, which is a beginners mistake (Hell, thats just common sense. But I guess he didn't understand the mechancis of the hold he was caught in.)

And wow, the commentators are as clueless as ever. A cramp? Minor tweak? LOL. I gurantee you Perry probably reruptured something or completely tore new ligaments.

Wrestling at that level requires tremendous flexibility. Just watch any of the takedown defenses they use and the scrambles that result. I'm sure both wrestlers you mentioned can probably do the full splits and then some. They also most definitely have 1000's of hours of mat time; much of which is in various leg holds of every way imaginable. Fluke injuries can happen, despite being in elite shape and having awesome flexibility.

Wrestling at that level requires tremendous flexibility. Just watch any of the takedown defenses they use and the scrambles that result. I'm sure both wrestlers you mentioned can probably do the full splits and then some. They also most definitely have 1000's of hours of mat time; much of which is in various leg holds of every way imaginable. Fluke injuries can happen, despite being in elite shape and having awesome flexibility.
Splits aren't really what I was referring to by flexability. I am really talking ankle flexability.

Perry's situation was a bit different, as flexability had no bearing in his accident. It was alittle ingorance mixed with alittle flukeness. If Perry knew what type of damage could be done from a knee bar I am pretty sure he would not have grab Tannenbaum's leg like he did (which straighten Perry's leg out even more) the fluke (which is debatable) part came when Tannenbaum shifted to the left, which was smart IMO, but should have been done much slower and with more control. But obviously he didn't know that.

And I highly doubt NCAA wrestlers have been in every leg hold imaginable.

Just finished watching it, pretty exciting grappling except for a few matches. You can't help but respect the athleticism and hard work of these athletes.

Splits aren't really what I was referring to by flexability. I am really talking ankle flexability.

Perry's situation was a bit different, as flexability had no bearing in his accident. It was alittle ingorance mixed with alittle flukeness. If Perry knew what type of damage could be done from a knee bar I am pretty sure he would not have grab Tannenbaum's leg like he did (which straighten Perry's leg out even more) the fluke (which is debatable) part came when Tannenbaum shifted to the left, which was smart IMO, but should have been done much slower and with more control. But obviously he didn't know that.

And I highly doubt NCAA wrestlers have been in every leg hold imaginable.

You've obviously never wrestled. NCAA finalists are some of the best athletes of any sport in the country. Trust me, their legs have been bent in every direction imaginable. Obviously not in submissions; but between takedowns, defending takedowns, and scrambles they know how to move to escape holds. Perry flips around there and gets out against most guys. Tannenbaum just happens to have retard strength and control, being the top ranked wrestler in the country at the time. Perry even quoted afterwords something to the effect of "Tann was lucky because he was about to be in real trouble with that scramble before I got injured".

Basketball=

What boys play during wrestling season.

So who is watching the NCAA wrestling finals tonight on ESPN at 8:30

Lets give this event some good ratings and help out the sport of wrestling which has given so much to MMA.

I actually have a shirt that says that,in high school i wore it to basketball games!:icon_chee

You've obviously never wrestled. NCAA finalists are some of the best athletes of any sport in the country. Trust me, their legs have been bent in every direction imaginable. Obviously not in submissions; but between takedowns, defending takedowns, and scrambles they know how to move to escape holds. Perry flips around there and gets out against most guys. Tannenbaum just happens to have retard strength and control, being the top ranked wrestler in the country at the time. Perry even quoted afterwords something to the effect of "Tann was lucky because he was about to be in real trouble with that scramble before I got injured".
I have and still wrestle and know that NCAA finalists (or rather NCAA D1 athletes overall) are some of the best athletes in the country. If submissions don't count in you're "every direction imaginable", I guess that doesn't make it every direction imaginable smart guy. I'll do myself a favor and not trust you. If Perry knew the situation he was in, he would not have made the mistakes he did. (And I am not by any means trying to strip anything away from Perry. I am only speaking of that particular situation). Tannenbaum's strength had very little to do with that leg hold, and he surely didn't show any control when he shifted his weight. Tann might have been in real trouble, but the fact of the matter is Tannenbaum caught Perry before Perry could catch him. And from what I saw Tannenbaum was showing Perry way too much respect, and could have easily won that match.

And just to throw it in there, I am glad Perry won as I do believe he is the much better wrestler.

Might I add also that these guys need to increase their awarness of leg holds. Jagger and Perry were pefect examples of what could happen when you don't have any flexability in your legs and you don't know how to either roll with the leg holds or escape them.

Well I'm content with you not trusting me. I'm also content that you thinking Mark Perry (who I hate btw) doesn't have flexability (sic) in his legs and doesn't know how to roll with leg holds or escape them shows that you have little clue to what you are talking about. Get your e-panties out of their bunch, man. You're need to be right isn't helping you justify your ignorant statements.

I pinned the 149 runner-up back in the day... lol. he'd probably tech pin me in 30 seconds now

Matsu, I think that D1 wrestlers are usually on average some of the most flexible people I have seen in the hips, knees, and ankles, it didn't always used to be this way, but the flexibility of these athletes has really become evident in the past four or five years as last night I saw four or five times where the wrestlers sprawled in such a funky way that I am sure that if I tried it I would be in the hospital for the next week.

The two injuries we saw last night were just bang bang movements and they happen from time to time, but by no means should wrestlers have to worry abut getting put in leg locks while wrestling....minus getting bow and arrow rode, but usually that ends up hurting your lower back more then your leg.

pix or werk. J/K. When was that, pre-high school i'm assuming?

lol it was in middle school. i know it's lame that I'm bragging about it but even back then he was a monster. he's extremely good at wrestling, he won worlds this year and he is only a sophmore. I really think he can become a 2x champ.

some of you guys have clue what youre talking about. if you haven't wrestled at a high level don't post like you know what you're talking about. please. ahem Matsu ahem.

Well I'm content with you not trusting me. I'm also content that you thinking Mark Perry (who I hate btw) doesn't have flexability (sic) in his legs and doesn't know how to roll with leg holds or escape them shows that you have little clue to what you are talking about. Get your e-panties out of their bunch, man. You're need to be right isn't helping you justify your ignorant statements.
Perry's situation was a bit different, as flexability had no bearing in his accident.

Learn how to read. And just because Perry is a top tier wrestler in this country doesn't mean he knows everything and can't make mistakes.

I don't have a need to be right, just calling it as I saw it.

Plus I am not exactly claiming you're completely wrong. In fact on many points you're spot on, you just seem to let your admiration for these wrestlers fully blind you. Or you're using a strictly scholasitc/collegiate wrestler's perspective of the situation versus my overall grappler's perspective.

Back