The Real NCAA tournament tonight

Jaggers has a TON of flexibility. His entire style incorporates a ton of funk, nonconventional wrestling. Great finals last night. Loved Jaggers post match interview, along with Coleman Scott's emotion after his 39 second pin in the finals.

lol it was in middle school. i know it's lame that I'm bragging about it but even back then he was a monster. he's extremely good at wrestling, he won worlds this year and he is only a sophmore. I really think he can become a 2x champ.

That's badass, man! Bubba is the real deal. Metcalf is a freakin machine and get gave him all he wanted. I thought he might even pull off the upset after his second takedown in the first period. I would brag about that to anyone that would listen!

some of you guys have clue what youre talking about. if you haven't wrestled at a high level don't post like you know what you're talking about. please. ahem Matsu ahem.
If you don't know the first thing about leg holds, don't make comments about situations involving leg holds.

Jaggers has a TON of flexibility. His entire style incorporates a ton of funk, nonconventional wrestling. Great finals last night. Loved Jaggers post match interview, along with Coleman Scott's emotion after his 39 second pin in the finals.
I am not talking flexability overall, but strictly ankle flexability since the situation was Jagger getting his ankle snapped.

Matsu, I think that D1 wrestlers are usually on average some of the most flexible people I have seen in the hips, knees, and ankles, it didn't always used to be this way, but the flexibility of these athletes has really become evident in the past four or five years as last night I saw four or five times where the wrestlers sprawled in such a funky way that I am sure that if I tried it I would be in the hospital for the next week.

The two injuries we saw last night were just bang bang movements and they happen from time to time, but by no means should wrestlers have to worry abut getting put in leg locks while wrestling....minus getting bow and arrow rode, but usually that ends up hurting your lower back more then your leg.
Excellent post.

But! Why should wrestlers not have to worry about leg holds? They play an important role in wrestling.

Learn how to read. And just because Perry is a top tier wrestler in this country doesn't mean he knows everything and can't make mistakes.

I don't have a need to be right, just calling it as I saw it.

Plus I am not exactly claiming you're completely wrong. In fact on many points you're spot on, you just seem to let your admiration for these wrestlers fully blind you. Or you're using a strictly scholasitc/collegiate wrestler's perspective of the situation versus my overall grappler's perspective.

Errrr why do I even bother? I don't feel like breaking up your quotes...

A. I can read; and spell flexibility (and scholastic) correctly :icon_twis
B. Never said Perry knows everything (he is an expert at stalling though)
C. You obviously have a need to be right IMO
D. I'm right? WTF is the issue then?
E. Spot on? Sweet I'm the man! :icon_chee
F. Wrestlers don't blind me. I triangle choked the fuck out of a NCWA national champ a couple weeks ago who would own me in wrestling. I capitalized on his lack of BJJ knowledge.
G. I'm a former wrestler and current BJJ player and occasionally train MMA. My perspective of All American wrestlers is that they have great flexibility and can get out of just about any leg hold.
H. You don't trust me anyways :icon_sad: so I'm just wasting words.

Errrr why do I even bother? I don't feel like breaking up your quotes...

A. I can read; and spell flexibility (and scholastic) correctly :icon_twis
B. Never said Perry knows everything (he is an expert at stalling though)
C. You obviously have a need to be right IMO
D. I'm right? WTF is the issue then?
E. Spot on? Sweet I'm the man! :icon_chee
F. Wrestlers don't blind me. I triangle choked the fuck out of a NCWA national champ a couple weeks ago who would own me in wrestling. I capitalized on his lack of BJJ knowledge.
G. I'm a former wrestler and current BJJ player and occasionally train MMA. My perspective of All American wrestlers is that they have great flexibility and can get out of just about any leg hold.
H. You don't trust me anyways :icon_sad: so I'm just wasting words.
A. Thanks for the corrections
B. You obviously think Perry knows every escape to every leg hold imagniable, or you wouldn't be yapping so damn much.
I'm also content that you thinking Mark Perry (who I hate btw) doesn't have flexability (sic) in his legs and doesn't know how to roll with leg holds or escape them
C. Thats your opinion.
D. You're right on a few points, which I agree with you on.
E. Yup NCAA athletes are amazing. Spot on!
F. Guess you just don't know shit about leg holds then, oh well.
G. Ah? Well I am a former wrestler and a current overall grappler. My perspective of All American wrestlers is that they have great flexibilty also. But I surely don't believe they can get out of every leg hold. (When I use the word hold, this includes hooks)
H. Nothing to worry about there! :D

wow this thread is becoming pretty worthless, what did everyone think was the match of the night?

Scott/Slanton

Love to see a pin! Especially during the NCAA finals.

ehh... mine was the 125 match because the kid dislocated his shoulder earlier in the tournament and kept fighting and kept wrestling. I've known people that have dislocated their shoulder and they were OUT for a while. Escebedo is the model example of what wrestling is all about and it was amazing to watch someone with so much heart and dedication not give up. Even if he had lost in the finals I'd still probably pick this match.

ehh... mine was the 125 match because the kid dislocated his shoulder earlier in the tournament and kept fighting and kept wrestling. I've known people that have dislocated their shoulder and they were OUT for a while. Escebedo is the model example of what wrestling is all about and it was amazing to watch someone with so much heart and dedication to something he loves.
Yeah, I enjoyed watching Escebedo/Ness also. Escebedo looked as if he wasn't even hurt, which showed how great his focus and will to win was.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Escebedo/Ness also. Escebedo looked as if he wasn't even hurt, which showed how great his focus and will to win was.

if youre hurt, tired, etc NEVER show your opponent a sign of weakness because he'll feed off of it. NEVER.

In wrestling I would be DEAD tired and if we went out of bounce I'd still run back to the center. It's pretty demoralizing when you're DEAD tired and you see your opponent run back to the center ready to wrestle.

Just a little tip for you kids ;)

if youre hurt, tired, etc NEVER show your opponent a sign of weakness because he'll feed off of it. NEVER.

In wrestling I would be DEAD tired and if we went out of bounce I'd still run back to the center. It's pretty demoralizing when you're DEAD tired and you see your opponent run back to the center ready to wrestle.

Just a little tip for you kids ;)
Great tip :p

I hope to employ it a lot more than I use to when I start competing in Greco/Freestyle tournaments. Man I am excited to wrestle again! (Since 2005 I have strictly done nothing but Submission Wrestling and Judo tournaments, and actually took a long break from it all in 2007.)

Masakatsu, I think you're missing the point a little. By rolling out of those leglocks, they would have given up points. That is simply not an option in the ncaa finals, so they took the pain, held their ground, and both won national titles. It's really up to the refs to break those positions before they become a danger to the athletes.

That said, not all wrestlers are very flexible. Plenty are not particularly flexible at all, while others (like Perry - who I wrestled when he was at Blair but never beat) are very, very flexible.

Oh, and match of the night was definitely Metcalf at 149 - he is incredible.

Matsu, I think you're missing the point a little. By rolling out of those leglocks, they would have given up points. That is simply not an option in the ncaa finals, so they took the pain, held their ground, and both won national titles. It's really up to the refs to break those positions before they become a danger to the athletes.

That said, not all wrestlers are very flexible. Plenty are not particularly flexible at all, while others (like Perry - who I wrestled when he was at Blair but never beat) are very, very flexible.

Oh, and match of the night was definitely Metcalf at 149 - he is incredible.

Id have to go with Metcalfs match as my second favorite since the kid is hard as nails and NEVER stops wrestling. It's is second for me because the guy he beat is my friend...lol.

That guy is a future Olympic champ. He has unbelievable talent and a great style for international competition.

My favorite would have to be J Jaggers from Ohio State breaking his ankle then finishing up.

Back