The OFFICIAL Battle of Actors Thread V1.0 *Now with poll

TheGumby

Claymation Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hello all, This thread will be a valiant well fought actor throwdown. My friend BJJNinja kind of gave me the idea for this with his Battle of the movies threads. I will post 2 actors both with great skill, starting with this thread today. The thread will be open until 11pm tonight. The actor who wins will move on into tomorrows battle and be granted the first ever Sherdog HW Actor belt. He will be challenged daily. I do not have the ability to post polls but I will be tallying the votes for each actor. With that being said lets get our first ever fight going. Now remember this is for THE BELT.

Daniel Day Lewis

936full-daniel-day-lewis.jpg

STD-vs-STI.png

Marlon Brando

marlon_brando-01-ruinawish.jpg

This will be a tough battle, here are the merits in which to judge by.

The IT factor - Relative to the actor just carrying around a presence that automaticly enhances the film.

Difficulty of rolls - Which actor has acted the more difficult rolls.

Looks - As shallow as this sounds the actors appearance does affect the type of rolls one can take on.

Longevity - How long the actor will be around and how long the actor has already been around.

Films they have been in - Look at which films they have produced and which ones hit home as your favorites.

Top 5 Brando Performances

The Godfather

I do not think it is a coincidence that Brando’s best role came from the #1 ranked film of all time by the users of IMDB. Don Vito Corleone is the foundation on which The Godfather films were built. The film and Brando’s performance have produced numerous copycat films and practically invented the gangster film genre.

Apocalypse Now

Perhaps the greatest character actor ever, Brando showed immense depth with this performance as Colonel Walter E. Kurtz. Francis Ford Coppola took a role that seemingly could have never been right for Brando and entrusted him to carry the film through its climactic ending.

On The Waterfront

Winner of 8 Oscars, On The Waterfront is without a doubt one of Brando’s best leading performances. A classic story where the little guy refuses to let the big guys win, Brando carried this film into cinema history.

A Streetcar Named Desire

The film that began Brando’s legacy, is also the film that legitimized him as a leading man. Not to overshadow Viva Zapata!, Brando showed that in 1952 he was not only willing to drive box-office success, but also willing to experiment with less typical roles.

Julius Caesar

As convincing a Marc Antony as cinema will ever see. Brando took a mediocre film that otherwise probably wouldn’t have received much attention and in the end received 6 Oscar nominations and one win.

Top 5 Lewis Performances

My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown

In 1989 Day-Lewis’ not-so-hidden flair was finally acknowledged by industry insiders. He won an Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his work playing cerebral palsy sufferer, Christy Brown in My Left Foot. Based on Brown’s autobiography, the film tells the story of how the Irish author, painter and poet could only control his left foot. Day-Lewis took his method acting to another level, by reportedly breaking two ribs so he could give a credible performance as Christy.

The Crucible

Day-Lewis teamed up with Winona Ryder once again to play John Proctor in the 1996 adaptation of Arthur Miller’s play, The Crucible. Day-Lewis’ reputation as a method actor reached new heights when filming began on this picture, with the actor reportedly insisting he build the house his character lived in. He is also said to have avoided bathing until filming wrapped, to stay true to his character’s dirty form. The film focuses on the Salem Massachusetts witch trials of 1692, where several women were executed for dabbling in black magic.

The Boxer

Day-Lewis pulled all the punches to give a realistic performance as boxer Danny Flynn, in The Boxer, training for three years solid in preparation. A Jim Sheridan film, the storyline centres on Flynn as he attempts to regain his life in the ring, after being imprisoned for fourteen years for his involvement with the IRA. Day-Lewis was nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama, at the Golden Globes, but lost out to Peter Fonda for Ulee's Gold.

Gangs of New York

As the blood thirsty Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting, Day-Lewis won an Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role. Complete with moustache and top hat, Day-Lewis commanded the set in a film packed to the rafters with esteemed actors. Day-Lewis wasn’t initially in the original line up to play The Butcher, with John Belushi formerly cast in the role. However, when Belushi tragically died, there was a re-shuffle with Willem Dafoe pulled in as the replacement. But director Martin Scorsese continued to change his cast, eventually landing on Day-Lewis to play the part.

There Will Be Blood

Day-Lewis’ took home the trophy for his performance as oil miner, Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood, winning his second Oscar for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. A fan of director Paul Thomas Anderson’s work on Punch Drunk Love, Day-Lewis immediately signed up to play the money hungry, and emotionally inept Plainview in a story about wealth, greed and family ties. Producer JoAnne Sellar told reporters after filming, that the picture wouldn’t have been given the go ahead if Day-Lewis hadn’t agreed to take part.

Note: I did not put Lincoln because it is such a new movie that many may not have seen it.

Brando academy award wins

Marlon Brando won 2 Academy Awards for, "Best Actor of the Year."

The first was in 1954, for his role in the movie, "On the Waterfront."

The second was in 1972, for "The Godfather," which he would not accept. The reason he would not accept the award, was because he was protesting the way Hollywood treated American Indians.

Day Lewis academy award wins

Day Lewis has won 2 Academy Awards for "Best Actor"

There will be blood - (2007)

My left foot - (1990)

Please guys make the sorting thru answers as easy as possible. Put actors name as your choice and a small tidbit of why if you so choose!!! THANKS!!

Last edited:
I'm slightly biased because I haven't seen any of Brando's films.DDL on the other hand,I think he is pretty even even with Brando.DDL dives into his character.He stays out of the limelight and doesn't have his business/drama out in the public like brando.

Lewis

Not much to choose between there best......but Brando also did some crap. Lewis literally was epic in everything he has ever done.

This initial battle was designed to be very fun and hard to choose between. Please post if you think this series is creative and if you would like me to continue doing more. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Also there will be 3 weight classes HW (which this battle is) MW (which is next) and LW (which will be used for up and comers or people with great potential)

This initial battle was designed to be very lucrative and hard to choose between. Please post if you think this series is creative and if you would like me to continue doing more. Thanks in advance.

I do not think that word means what you think it means

Brando is the right answer. he changed the game. i don't hear anyone talking about pre/post-DDL

Do you guys like premise of this post? If not I wont conduct more, I thought it would be kinda cool.

Back