The Moment Gastelum Had Adesanya in Trouble (GIF)

I dont think Adesanya was in as much trouble as you think. I think he was dead tired caught a decent shot but if you look close when he was backing up he stepped in between the cage and the mat and slipped. Even if Gastelum unloaded i doubt it would have been enough to finish and round 5 would have been even worse for him. To me it looked like Adesanya was there for that whole exchange.

Terrible decision to disengage. It’s like he planned to wrestle for so long during camp that when he had him hurt standing he went for his wrestling advantage. Almost like he was the one most surprised to do that much damage in the stand-up. Should have got in the pocket and looked to trade shots.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!
Gastellum why!? Why did you go for the takedown?
He doesn't have shit fight IQ. Usually he is known for great fight IQ.
The GIF really shows how close he was to winning there.
Gutted.
Yea, that was a terrible decision. Could have finished him on the spot.

The moment right before Gastelum went for a takedown when Adesanya stayed with his back against the fence was the perfect opportunity to throw an uppercut and make it rain on him.

Maybe he was too tired and grappling was his way of taking a rest? Who knows. I don't recall him doing something dumb like that in his previous fights. Sometimes you don't view things the same when you're in the midst of the action.

I'm having deja vu...wasn't there another high profile fight where someone went for an infamous takedown like that when he had the opponent rocked?

Not sure if it’s the same one but there was one fight where the guy mangled his opponent’s leg to the point he couldn’t even put his foot down but the guy went for a takedown instead of unloading on him. I wanna say O’Malley was the one-legged guy but I’m not sure.

I'm having deja vu...wasn't there another high profile fight where someone went for an infamous takedown like that when he had the opponent rocked?

Werdum against Overeem...he would have won the fight, instead lost a decision

UniformRaggedGrouse-size_restricted.gif

228_Kelvin_Gastelum_x_Israel_Adesanya.0.jpg

<TheWire1><TheWire1><TheWire1><TheWire1>
giphy.gif

Adesanya was the better man that night.

But Whittaker will finish what Gastelum didn't

5a9bc9f50b08bb2fc983e9c7a7abc2c6

Not sure if it’s the same one but there was one fight where the guy mangled his opponent’s leg to the point he couldn’t even put his foot down but the guy went for a takedown instead of unloading on him. I wanna say O’Malley was the one-legged guy but I’m not sure.

Yeah Andre Soukhamthath took him down when OMalley couldn't walk or stand. If he had just let him try to get up, the fight would have been stopped.

fight IQ of 2

enough time to unload for a TKO
I agree. But it seems to happen fairly often. The attacker hurts his opponent, but then goes for a takedown instead of a KO. Maybe they are hoping for ground and pound.

Israel haters can only cling to a moment of what could have been. You are sad.

Lmao at KO'ing Rob.

Remind me when the the fight happens. It won't be until August lol

Whittaker gonna tool Adesanya so bad.

kk, we will figure it out when the time comes.

Kelvin was a way tougher fight than Rob is.

That chin will be shattered.

Hespect the Style Bender.

Israel haters can only cling to a moment of what could have been. You are sad.
You are sad for assuming someone is a hater because he made a thread about a specific highlight and talked about moment in the fight.

I remember Roy done the same thing, had his opponent rocked and backing up (can't remember the opponent) and decides to shoot for a take down with like 10 seconds left in the round. I guess maybe it's hard to tell how long is left but it should be an obvious sign when you have an opponent in trouble, it's much easier for them to recover in full guard.

kk, we will figure it out when the time comes.

Kelvin was a way tougher fight than Rob is.

That chin will be shattered.

Hespect the Style Bender.
I don't know about Gastelum being a tougher fight for Adesanya. Whittaker has way more tools and is a lot more diverse than Gastelum.

But I guess we will find out. This fight should be huge.

watching it back....it doesn't look half as bad as it did mid fight. Probably helps that I can't hear Joe Rogan yelling "OH HE'S HURT, HE'S DEAD, HE FUCKNIG KILLED HIM, ITS OVER, CALL THE FIGHT, SOMEONE STOP THIS MAD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!" He didn't even Kevin Lee Stanky Leg and ate the left pretty good after the kick. Kelvin probably didn't even realize he hurt him, hence the shot against the cage.

Yup, in hindsight, the takedown attempt was a horrible idea, but I imagine he and his team thought his path to victory was to get him down so that was always in the back of his mind. The problem was, he never could really get him down. So he saw Izzy being hurt as his opportunity to enact plan A, but lo and behold, he still couldn't get him down even with Izzy seeing stars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back