The Moment Gastelum Had Adesanya in Trouble (GIF)

The first Gus fight is a good comparison. And while otherwise a dominant performance, Vitor nearly broke his arm.

Remember he looked like this after his war with Gus:

20130921104242_cccc.JPG
Yeah but he didn't get knocked down or was ever that wobbly.
Furthermore this was only Adensanya's fourth good opponent and he has been KOd before in kickboxing and has 5 losses there too.

Jones at that point with Gus had already beaten Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Vitor and Sonnen. All by finish too, except for Rashad.

Come on , that was a shitty decision.
You have him hurt and he is in the place you need him to be (against the cage) and what do you do ? You go for a takedown. That was a shitty decision

Imagine chasing a much taller, longer guy for 4 rounds, looking to KO him. It's exhausting. Rushing in to cut the distance, getting hit in the process constantly. Adesanya was surprised by that kick, nobody would bet a dollar on Kelvin to KO Adesanya by a high kick, but Gastelum went for it. Throwing kicks takes your stamina very quickly, especially trying to head kick a much taller guy. For him to even try it in the 4th is crazy. The guy gave everything he had, he was on auto pilot from that moment.

Lol at guys who think you try takedown because you are tired. Most exhausting thing you can do in standing position.

Izzy recovered pretty quickly. If Kelvin pounced on him whilst he was against the cage, he could have easily been countered and hurt himself. Probably thought he had a better chance of taking him down and submitting him.

This

I screamed at my TV when he went for that pathetic takedown but for all we know KG was gassed hard just went on instinct

Soukhamthath level fight IQ there, Joe.

Imagine chasing a much taller, longer guy for 4 rounds, looking to KO him. It's exhausting. Rushing in to cut the distance, getting hit in the process constantly. Adesanya was surprised by that kick, nobody would bet a dollar on Kelvin to KO Adesanya by a high kick, but Gastelum went for it. Throwing kicks takes your stamina very quickly, especially trying to head kick a much taller guy. For him to even try it in the 4th is crazy. The guy gave everything he had, he was on auto pilot from that moment.
Imagine then finally chasing him having him in queer street putting him against the cage and instead of spending your last of energy pouring it on him possibly knocking him out you go and spend your last energy for a takedown in which you probably wont get it. It was a shit decision

Imagine then finally chasing him having him in queer street putting him against the cage and instead of spending your last of energy pouring it on him possibly knocking him out you go and spend your last energy for a takedown in which you probably wont get it. It was a shit decision
Try moving in circles and randomly throwing combos for 17-18 minutes. Then try to throw a high kick. See how it feels. Then imagine doing the same thing while getting your legs kicked and face jabbed constantly. It's easy for us on the outside to talk shit. I really think both of the guys were on the edge late in the 4th.

Huh, I remembered him being more rocked than that in real time, didn't look anywhere near as bad as I remembered.

I'm having deja vu...wasn't there another high profile fight where someone went for an infamous takedown like that when he had the opponent rocked?

Not really high profile but André Soukemtath (SP?) against Sean O’Malley?

Not really high profile but André Soukemtath (SP?) against Sean O’Malley?
Nah O'Malley wasn't rocked he had an injured leg and couldn't put any weight on it. Soukemath's decision to go for the takedown when O'Malley literally couldn't stand will live on in infamy.

One month AV bet?

Israel will KO Rob
I'll take that action if me and GosiShun don't get something sorted. Not a hater of Adesanya by any distance,in fact you can thank me for Sansom's AV, just think Rob beats him.

One thing is to think Bobby K could or will beat him and another one is to say Israel is a hype job ready to be exposed.
I think it would have been fair to call him a hype job before the Gastelum fight considering who he'd beaten up to that point. He proved in this fight though he's up there with the best and won't be an easy out for anyone.

That wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

This happens so often that I don't understand the logic of giving the guy a break by taking him down.

Back