The Meg DESTROYED Crazy Rich Asians At The Box Office... Why's The Latter Getting So Much More Love?

Your point? A movie costing more doesn't mean more people will go see it.

Making money with no star power or big budget is uncommon. Making money with a big budget, a household name star and tons of flashy CGI is not. People take more notice of the uncommon than they do of what is common.

Also Crazy Rich Asians was a critical and financial success. It recovered it's budget and it's P&A many times over. The Meg was a critical failure and made some profit.

I don't see the big deal. Korea, China, Japan, etc. All have a rich history of great films (seven samurai, old boy, internal affairs, akira, police academy 3 supercop). Thats how many movies with an all Asian cast? So who cares if they speak English now?

Making money with no star power or big budget is uncommon. Making money with a big budget, a household name star and tons of flashy CGI is not. People take more notice of the uncommon than they do of what is common.

Also Crazy Rich Asians was a critical and financial success. It recovered it's budget and it's P&A many times over. The Meg was a critical failure and made some profit.

Plenty of movies without a huge budget do well. Also who cares what critics think lol.

we just had a massive thread where dozens of Shertards bitched about the mere insinuation of a black James Bond- and within it were countless examples of movies where a black casting resulted in immense butthurt by regressive white racists. For you to claim there has never been "bitching" by whites is stunning and willful ignorance on your part.
The reason people complained about a black james bond is because of the liberal hypocrisy. They constantly complain about hollywood “whitewashing” movies like prince of persia, ghost in the shell, last samurai, the departed, etc.... But are okay with a black james bond. No one would be annoyed with a black james bond if this werent the case

You are attributing things said to me that I never said, and you have the nerve to call other people "shitheads?" :rolleyes:

The point remains true. People expect a certain level of consistency, and they react when that expectation is challenged.
I am attributing things you've said in this thread and concluding you are a reactionary shithead.

The reason people complained about a black james bond is because of the liberal hypocrisy. They constantly complain about hollywood “whitewashing” movies like prince of persia, ghost in the shell, last samurai, the departed, etc.... But are okay with a black james bond. No one would be annoyed with a black james bond if this werent the case
Holy shit, this argument was already blown the fuck out in the thread referred. I'm not wasting 20 more pages to educate stubborn fools.

I don't see the big deal. Korea, China, Japan, etc. All have a rich history of great films (seven samurai, old boy, internal affairs, akira, police academy 3 supercop). Thats how many movies with an all Asian cast? So who cares if they speak English now?
Asian Americans consist of 20 million people. African Americans are 40 million. Both are distinct from Asians or Africans. Saying Japanese cinema has Japanese actors is irrelevant when Asian Americans have been invisible.in American media.

Hilarious how you're using this as a counterargument while you bitch about minorities in cinema. The only agenda is the prevalence of whites in Hollywood.

Asian Americans consist of 20 million people. African Americans are 40 million. Both are distinct from Asians or Africans. Saying Japanese cinema has Japanese actors is irrelevant when Asian Americans have been invisible.in American media.

Hilarious how you're using this as a counterargument while you bitch about minorities in cinema. The only agenda is the prevalence of whites in Hollywood.

Ive never once bitched about minorities in cinema.

My point was that if you are Asian you have a whole catalogue of films of people that look like you. No not in America but in Asia yes. Black people don't have the same because there isnt a strong film culture coming out of africa.

I am attributing things you've said in this thread and concluding you are a reactionary shithead.

No. You were also attributing things to me that others have said and I have not said.

People like what they like. Get over it, dude.

Plenty of movies without a huge budget do well. Also who cares what critics think lol.

Maybe in the horror genre, but generally no, they don't.

One or two low budget movies a year may pull off something like this, and it's usually still star driven (La La Land) or linked to an award nomination (moonlight, whiplash). But this was neither. The last non star driven, low budget movie to make 7 or 8 times it's budget back in theaters before awards was Slumdog. Even that had a superstar director. Take that off the table and you have to go back to like My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Also the media cares what critics have to say. That's why people are making a big deal about it.

No. You were also attributing things to me that others have said and I have not said.

People like what they like. Get over it, dude.
I dont really care if people like this movie. I myself have no plans to watch it. What I do take issue with are the posters claiming its success is due to some agenda driven push.

Maybe in the horror genre, but generally no, they don't.

One or two low budget movies a year may pull off something like this, and it's usually still star driven (La La Land) or linked to an award nomination (moonlight, whiplash). But this was neither. The last non star driven, low budget movie to make 7 or 8 times it's budget back in theaters before awards was Slumdog. Even that had a superstar director. Take that off the table and you have to go back to like My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Also the media cares what critics have to say. That's why people are making a big deal about it.

You are so, so wrong. There are probably as many movies (or close to it) that don't have a big budget that make a killing at the box office as there are big budget ones.

Also it's irrelevant and you're missing the point anyway. Audiences don't exactly look at how big the budget is before deciding to see a film. It doesn't impact their desire or interest to see a movie either way.

I haven't seen either film and I don't mean to belittle the success and relevancy of Crazy Rich Asians, but it seems to be getting almost all the attention and people are saying it was the ideal movie to end the Summer blockbuster season on, yet The Meg was the more successful one. Drew a much bigger audience.

The Meg: 475 million in four weeks
Crazy Rich Asians: 149 million in three weeks

Why is The Meg being so underrated?
Both are being crushed this week by The Nun. No doubt due to a secret cabal of evil nuns running Hollywood.

Can't stand all these Rich Chinese wannabe materialistic status trying to take over Orange county. They basically invaded Irvine California with all their own restaurants, Churches. Half of them can't even speak proper English and will make no effort to do so....

the MEG was produced from the outstart to be a blockbuster hit. Crazy Rich Asians is a book adaptation with low box office expectations and turned out to be a massive hit- the biggest romantic comedy in like 20 years.
It's this.

Keep in mind that Asians are the one demographic that have a genuine reason to be upset at a lack of award nominations/wins and representation in major studio or blockbuster casts. They don't whine about it because I think they understand that lack of representation is correlated to a lack of pursuit in careers in the arts among Asians, but this is one more film in a tradition of films demonstrating that awakening market, and their desire for more stories more specific to their subculture within the American melange. Its ROI and the fact a RomCom is making this much money (especially in summer) are far more exceptional within these contexts than The Meg's superior box office take.

This is the next step in the tradition of movies like Joy Luck Club and the much more controversial and far earlier Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Flower Drum Song.

The guy who made the film personally had to write Coldplay to ask Chris Martin and the band for permission to use the song "Yellow" which was originally denied because of fears it would be used in a racist context. He had to explain how he wanted to take "ownership" of that pejorative, and how that music video was the first time he had ever seen the color treated as such a beautiful thing. He loved it.

I don't care about the masturbatory liberal media. This is how this evolution of Hollywood should take place: art reflecting life, not art dictating to life what the makers of that art think life should be. It's gradual, and it's organic. You can't fight the tide of a changing population any more than you can fabricate it. This unexpected box office surge is the voice of the people-- not the press, and certainly not the politicians (the liberal ones are those discriminating against Asians for being too successful, remember?).

I'm glad this filmmaker didn't whine and bitch and moan about why the world is so cruel. He went out and did something about it. He made a movie. He showed the world there was an appetite for it. That's real change.

Asians are a neglected minority in Hollywood, often lumped into stereotypes (for good or ill), so having a movie that isn't some action flick or period piece with a group of starring Asians about Asians is pretty big for them.

Back