The Jake Paul Megathread v2

Buys?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Jake's Tyson call out, Tyson should say " if you beat Tommy then I will fight you". So guaranteeing the Tommy fight and payday.

Before their last fights i would of had Fury by KO easy...Just based off being a "real professional boxer."
After seeing Fury struggle to take out and look good against Jake's tiny sparring partner, I have no idea.
Think whoever has the better gas tank will win.

Tommy lacks fundamentals and was fast tracked. He is also not really determined about a boxing career. He is a little like a celebrity boxer himself living of the name of his brother and crushing cans. Tommy really is that bad that this would be competitive.Its a fight without any appeal .

Tommy lacks fundamentals and was fast tracked. He is also not really determined about a boxing career. He is a little like a celebrity boxer himself living of the name of his brother and crushing cans. Tommy really is that bad that this would be competitive.Its a fight without any appeal .

I tend to agree. The Fury's are pretty good judges of fighters- Tyson they knew was something very special straight away. In his 8th fight they had him fighting for the English heavyweight title. They moved him up to serious fights pretty quick.

Well Tommy Fury has had 7 or 8 pro fights and is nowhere near a British title. They've not ever put him in with anyone serious. Like I said, they're pretty good judges of fighters...

It's probably a fairly even match. Fury knows more about boxing that Paul ever will, but I'm not sure he's talented physically. Paul might be a more naturally explosive guy.

They both take it seriously from what i've seen. Just nowhere near talent or skill wise to justify a pro following other than their celebrity.

Risky fight for Tommy. Not because Jake is any good but because Tommy isn't that good himself and, should he actually lose to Jake somehow, it's over for him. His ambitions of a world title bid would effectively be over and his family name will have to be changed (according to Tyson). He'll have to change his last name to something else, it's already been agreed to. Tommy's clearly been sponging off of the Fury name for a while now and his past Love Island reality television celebrity. Not a fan of this. It's reminiscent of Chavez Jr. but at least he was once good enough to win a world title and defend it a few times against legit opposition.

Risky fight for Tommy. Not because Jake is any good but because Tommy isn't that good himself and, should he actually lose to Jake somehow, it's over for him. His ambitions of a world title bid would effectively be over and his family name will have to be changed (according to Tyson).
I don't think he actually has any ambitions like that tbh. I don't think that, left to his own devices, he'd ever want to get in position to do anything of substance in boxing, not even at a domestic level.

Risky fight for Tommy. Not because Jake is any good but because Tommy isn't that good himself and, should he actually lose to Jake somehow, it's over for him. His ambitions of a world title bid would effectively be over and his family name will have to be changed (according to Tyson). He'll have to change his last name to something else, it's already been agreed to. Tommy's clearly been sponging off of the Fury name for a while now and his past Love Island reality television celebrity. Not a fan of this. It's reminiscent of Chavez Jr. but at least he was once good enough to win a world title and defend it a few times against legit opposition.

The person with something to lose is jake paul not tommy. Jakes gravy train circus relies on him winning, as soon as he loses people will lose interest and there goes all the money, and Tommy is a better and bigger boxer who is the fav in this fight. Tommy is essentially a nobody as a pro who does not seem to have serious ambitions, and has a lot of fame to gain from being the guy who beats Jake Paul. Your analysis is the direct opposite of reality. Well done.

I don't think he actually has any ambitions like that tbh. I don't think that, left to his own devices, he'd ever want to get in position to do anything of substance in boxing, not even at a domestic level.
Whether his ambitions are serious or not, who knows? This is what his family believes anyway. They could be blowing smoke about it.

The person with something to lose is jake paul not tommy. Jakes gravy train circus relies on him winning, as soon as he loses people will lose interest and there goes all the money, and Tommy is a better and bigger boxer who is the fav in this fight. Tommy is essentially a nobody as a pro who does not seem to have serious ambitions, and has a lot of fame to gain from being the guy who beats Jake Paul. Your analysis is the direct opposite of reality. Well done.
Nope. Jake Paul is a YouTuber. He isn't expected to win. As you said, he's not favored to beat Tommy. Thanks for proving my point. Also, Jake Paul will be a draw regardless of whether he wins or loses. Especially if he loses to a guy that's supposedly a semi-legit boxer which Tommy is seen by many as being.

Nope. Jake Paul is a YouTuber. He isn't expected to win. As you said, he's not favored to beat Tommy. Thanks for proving my point. Also, Jake Paul will be a draw regardless of whether he wins or loses. Especially if he loses to a guy that's supposedly a semi-legit boxer which Tommy is seen by many as being.

The point was who has more to lose, not who is favorite to win.

You really think Paul will remain the same level of draw , or even close, once he loses and is exposed? You don't realize a huge part of the attraction is hoping someone beats him, and the other half is thinking he's a legit boxer. Both of those things vanish if he loses to Fury. I know its pointless arguing with someone who thinks Jordan was a bigger global star than Ali.

The point was who has more to lose, not who is favorite to win.

You really think Paul will remain the same level of draw , or even close, once he loses and is exposed? You don't realize a huge part of the attraction is hoping someone beats him, and the other half is thinking he's a legit boxer. Both of those things vanish if he loses to Fury. I know its pointless arguing with someone who thinks Jordan was a bigger global star than Ali.
Again, no. Just no. Paul is a spectacle in boxing. That's why he decided to enter the sport. His stock won't take the hit that you believe it will if he loses to Tommy Fury. His backup plan will be to continue fighting bums and washed up/retired MMA fighters with name value. The events will still make him and his opponents bags of money and bring in huge casual viewership/PPV buys. Tommy is more serious about his actual boxing career than Jake is because he has to be. He doesn't have the option of falling back on high profile spectacles.

Again, no. Just no. Paul is a spectacle in boxing. That's why he decided to enter the sport. His stock won't take the hit that you believe it will if he loses to Tommy Fury. His backup plan will be to continue fighting bums and washed up/retired MMA fighters with name value. The events will still make him and his opponents bags of money and bring in huge casual viewership/PPV buys. Tommy is more serious about his actual boxing career than Jake is because he has to be. He doesn't have the option of falling back on high profile spectacles.

You have just reasserted your claim without giving an explanation to counter my points. Try again. What do you think IS the attraction and why won't it be reduced by a loss.

You have just reasserted your claim without giving an explanation to counter my points. Try again. What do you think IS the attraction and why won't it be reduced by a loss.
This much is clear to me and to anyone reading your posts in this thread. You don't understand the spectacle side of the boxing business. You're clueless. I'll help you out since you asked. Jake Paul's appeal is purely down to him being an internet personality. He's got a zillion followers that would gladly tune in to watch him fight regardless of whether he wins or loses his next fight. Need proof? No problem. How about his brother Logan losing the rematch to KSI and still getting a high profile fight against Floyd Mayweather? People still tuned in to watch him. Did they not? Okay then.

It'll be the same with Jake should he lose to Tommy Fury. Jake can't lose legitimacy as a boxer as you can't lose what you've never had. Currently he's viewed as a somewhat legit fighter for beating the likes of Woodley and Askren in the ring but not as a legit boxing prospect. And by legit fighter I mean for an internet personality and nothing more.

This is an interesting fight that I would watch... Not pay for but watch for sure!

@Roids, another thing I forgot to mention. Showtime just signed Jake to a multi-fight deal. You don't think these major network execs hadn't already factored in a potential Jake Paul loss into his contract? They know he'll still draw considerably because his appeal isn't down to staying undefeated in the ring. Even if he lost to this boxer in Tommy Fury, the first actual boxer he'll have faced, he'd still be undefeated at 2-0 against MMA fighters in the ring.

Most importantly he already has too much star power & name value in his brand. It will fade a bit but he'll continue to draw well against future opponents. Showtime knows this already which is precisely why they offered him a lucrative multi-fight deal.
Jake Paul signs multi-fight boxing deal with Showtime Sports

This much is clear to me and to anyone reading your posts in this thread. You don't understand the spectacle side of the boxing business. You're clueless. I'll help you out since you asked. Jake Paul's appeal is purely down to him being an internet personality. He's got a zillion followers that would gladly tune in to watch him fight regardless of whether he wins or loses his next fight. Need proof? No problem. How about his brother Logan losing the rematch to KSI and still getting a high profile fight against Floyd Mayweather? People still tuned in to watch him. Did they not? Okay then.

It'll be the same with Jake should he lose to Tommy Fury. Jake can't lose legitimacy as a boxer as you can't lose what you've never had. Currently he's viewed as a somewhat legit fighter for beating the likes of Woodley and Askren in the ring but not as a legit boxing prospect. And by legit fighter I mean for an internet personality and nothing more.

Well you got it half right. I agree a huge part of his appeal is who he is but you forgot the other, vital half of the equation. He is a youtuber boxer that WINS fights, and is unbeaten. Do you really think he would such a big boxing attraction if he was losing all his fights? Even his fans will lose interest if he is not winning. His brother is not as big a draw. Once he loses people will stop caring much for him. Also a loss will result in less appeal for good drawing opponents to fight him. Do you think Woodley would have bothered fighting him if he had lost his last fight?

Well you got it half right. I agree a huge part of his appeal is who he is but you forgot the other, vital half of the equation. He is a youtuber boxer that WINS fights, and is unbeaten. Do you really think he would such a big boxing attraction if he was losing all his fights? Even his fans will lose interest if he is not winning. His brother is not as big a draw. Once he loses people will stop caring much for him. Also a loss will result in less appeal for good drawing opponents to fight him. Do you think Woodley would have bothered fighting him if he had lost his last fight?
I got it entirely right. Once Jake beat Tyron and Ben that sealed the deal on his drawing power in the sport of boxing. He was just offered $30m to fight an old Vitor Belfort ffs. Jake could lose his next fight and still be a big draw. That's all I'm saying. His own network knows it and so does his promoter which is why he was already signed to a multi-fight deal. They didn't wait around and see if he'd pan out further, they signed him to a lucrative multi-fight contract. Star power fades with all fighters once they've suffered a loss or two. However, again, Jake is a different animal. His stock won't take a giant hit from it.

He'll always be a spectacle and his path is completely different than your typical boxing prospect out to make a legitimate legacy for themselves. There's no need for Jake to keep his 0 any longer going forward. His popularity/drawing power doesn't ride on it. You'll see if he loses to Tommy Fury. He'll continue to get big fights for millions of dollars, attract high viewership, and sell PPVs. He moves the needle and will continue to. It's that simple, really.

I got it entirely right. Once Jake beat Tyron and Ben that sealed the deal on his drawing power in the sport of boxing. He was just offered $30m to fight an old Vitor Belfort ffs

AFTER he beat Woodley. This does not refute my point at all. Do you even remember the debate here?

Jake could lose his next fight and still be a big draw.

Reasserting your premise is not an argument.

His own network knows it and so does his promoter which is why he was already signed to a multi-fight deal. They didn't wait around and see if he'd pan out further, they signed him to a lucrative multi-fight contract. Star power fades with all fighters once they've suffered a loss or two. However, again, Jake is a different animal. His stock won't take a giant hit from it.

You can have a 10 fight deal but it does not mean much if the ppv numbers dry up, and what about after those 3 fights? Will they extend if they loses the 3 fights you think?

He'll always be a spectacle and his path is completely different than your typical boxing prospect out to make a legitimate legacy for themselves. There's no need for Jake to keep his 0 any longer going forward. His popularity/drawing power doesn't ride on it

Again you are just restating your premise. His gimmick is a utuber who wins fights, otherwise any utuber could make tens of millions by fighting anyone and getting their ass kicked. Its not that easy.

You'll see if he loses to Tommy Fury. He'll continue to get big fights for millions of dollars, attract high viewership, and sell PPVs. He moves the needle and will continue to. It's that simple, really.

That is again just your premise. He moves the needle because he's beating everyone, and many people tune in to see him finally lose. Once that happens the novelty will be gone.

AFTER he beat Woodley. This does not refute my point at all. Do you even remember the debate here?

Reasserting your premise is not an argument.

You can have a 10 fight deal but it does not mean much if the ppv numbers dry up, and what about after those 3 fights? Will they extend if they loses the 3 fights you think?

Again you are just restating your premise. His gimmick is a utuber who wins fights, otherwise any utuber could make tens of millions by fighting anyone and getting their ass kicked. Its not that easy.

That is again just your premise. He moves the needle because he's beating everyone, and many people tune in to see him finally lose. Once that happens the novelty will be gone.
You still don't get it. Geez. No major network or promoter would ever invest in a guy in advance if they felt that he's likely to step up his competition too much and lose. Therefore, it stands to reason that they're not expecting him to win every fight he's under contract for. They know what they've got and that's an entertainer who makes for a popular spectacle. What Jake's already done is build his brand and image over the last few years in the ring. He's built it up to the point where, now, he can lose a fight going forward without it causing his stock to plummet and by extension his future drawing power.

Again, his brother Logan has already proved this to be the case. He lost to an illegitimate YouTuber in KSI and still got a super high profile fight (exhibition) with Floyd. Logan will continue to get other big fights despite dropping his last two fights for the same reason Jake will. Both are internet personalities/entertainers and that's what their appeal is about. If they win one or two here and there and then drop a fight or two, they'll continue to rake in viewership and sell PPVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back