The IOC Bans Political Statements at the Olympics

I am glad conservatives weren’t so anti free speech when Jesse Owens shoved Hitlers Arayan beliefs up Hitlers Candy Ass with a salute at 1936 Olympics. Jesse Owens salute after winning gold, showed Hitler, the diversity of America is our strength.
I remember when Conservatives cared about the deficit and free Speech.

If by diverse you mean you mean a melting pot of people from different European countries than yes we were diverse, but in the 1930's the United States was 90% White, 9% Black, and less than 1% of Native and Asian People.

The men in the photo disagree with you

https://theundefeated.com/features/john-carlos-john-wooten-know-kaepernicks-road-is-a-long-one/

Mainly because you are just wrong .

Sorry, but some privileged millionaire that was raised by upper middle class white people deciding to get woke after he got benched is not the same as a Gold and Bronze medalist showing solidarity for their race on a world stage in the 1960's.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos were doing this during the highest achievement of their life as winners. Kaepernick was doing it to stir up some shit so he could stay relevant as a loser. He was not being genuine in his actions. If anything it's insulting and disrespectful to what Carlos and Smith did in Mexico City.

What values do you think of when the Belarus flag is raised at a medal ceremony?
Probably the same ones you think of when Guyanese Pairs Figure Skaters take the ice. Not sure where you're going with this. I agree that some countries are not well-known.

Probably the same ones you think of when Guyanese Pairs Figure Skaters take the ice. Not sure where you're going with this. I agree that some countries are not well-known.

I'm saying the vast, vast majority of people who are watching are thinking athlete x from country y won medal z and that their national anthem sounds gay

Very few people are reflecting on the political climate and values of the country

You don’t believe millions of Americans think our flag represents certain political positions.

Out of 350 million, sure a small portion may. But on the stage of international competition, few if any are reflecting on the political climate and historical values of said winning athlete of x nation

I don't see the American flag, or an athlete representing it and think anything outside of that's the flag of the US and they guy is from there. Same thing when I see the flag of any other nation at the Olympics

Sorry, but some privileged millionaire that was raised by upper middle class white people deciding to get woke after he got benched is not the same as a Gold and Bronze medalist showing solidarity for their race on a world stage in the 1960's.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos were doing this during the highest achievement of their life as winners. Kaepernick was doing it to stir up some shit so he could stay relevant as a loser. He was not being genuine in his actions. If anything it's insulting and disrespectful to what Carlos and Smith did in Mexico City.
You're characterization of the situation is laughable , a loser ? Kaepernick was a year removed from almost winning the Superbowl when he began kneeling , he had little to gain and much to lose by doing what he did , disagreeing with what he was protesting is one thing but you're out in left field .

Out of 350 million, sure a small portion may. But on the stage of international competition, few if any are reflecting on the political climate and historical values of said winning athlete of x nation

I don't see the American flag, or an athlete representing it and think anything outside of that's the flag of the US and they guy is from there. Same thing when I see the flag of any other nation at the Olympics

I would say more than 1/3 of our country believes it means something political.

You think more than one third of the country is thinking about the politics of America, when some wrestler who wins gold is standing proudly while their anthem plays and their flag is displayed?

No, they're thinking "America, fuck ya!". Replace "America" with the winning nation, and that's what every other country is thinking too, when their champions are up there.

Some post in here randomly motivated me to write this:

I know in China, most people feel a connection to Chinese civilization. All the thousands of years of it, it's part of their identity. They feel pride in its accomplishments, identify with its struggles, etc.

Look at US dollar bills. Look at the architecture in our capital. Look at the eagle that represents the US. It's no secret what the founding fathers felt: the ancient Greeks and the Roman Empire were our forefathers. Look at how college curriculums are designed: the history they study and what literature they read.

Western civilization descends from them and they are our cultural heritage. We feel pride in their accomplishments, we identify with their struggles, etc. Their history and the history of judeo christian western civilization that followed it binds us together as Western people.

What connection to that heritage does a Chinese American feel? Is the common heritage that binds the West together as one bloc of civilization going away as diversity grows? If it is, what is our civilization now? What are we? Are we going to fracture apart?

By that logic 66.6% does not. Thats a significant majority. I also doubt that 33.3% reflects on the political climate when they see the flag raised on the Olympic stage

Madmick, you honestly don’t see the connection between the IOC banning political expression during the games and the Chinese doper?
Do you honestly not see how it isn't entailed?

Those swimmers protesting a doping competitor doesn't entail that they're protesting the bodies that support him. One shouldn't be inherently misconstrued with the others.
Sorry snowflake.
imrs.php
This picture was in the OP, and the rules apply evenly to everyone. No more snowflake grandstanding.

Try as you might to appropriate that term, and ironic as it is that you suddenly don't mind cultural appropriation, you aren't doing it right.

Those swimmers protesting a doping competitor doesn't entail that they're protesting the bodies that support him. One shouldn't be inherently misconstrued with the others.

This picture was in the OP, and the rules apply evenly to everyone. No more snowflake grandstanding.

Try as you might to appropriate that term, and ironic as it is that you suddenly don't mind cultural appropriation, you aren't doing it right.
If I have to give back “snowflake,” the right has to give back “fake news,” you snowflake.

I think that it’s probable that American athletes are used as a pretext for an “apolitical” event to please the Chinese

ie, no statements on Hong Kong, Taiwan, or human rights in general.

I think that it’s probable that American athletes are used as a pretext for an “apolitical” event to please the Chinese

ie, no statements on Hong Kong, Taiwan, or human rights in general.
Why the fuck would we bring up Hong Kong at the Olympics?

That's stupid. Ultimately when it escalates it results in boycotts, and both the world suffers, because we don't really learn who the best is, while the athletes suffer more, because they end up deprived of their glory by politicians who would steal it for an toothless virtue signal.

Nevertheless, I can see that you didn't think through your original rhetorical question. You were so excited by the prospect of drawing the political association you didn't stop to consider your reasoning for the motive of the protesting athletes was inductive, not deductive.

Consider these ideas more carefully in the future before questioning me.

Why the fuck would we bring up Hong Kong at the Olympics?

That's stupid. Ultimately when it escalates it results in boycotts, and both the world suffers, because we don't really learn who the best is, while the athletes suffer more, because they end up deprived of their glory by politicians who would steal it for an toothless virtue signal.

Nevertheless, I can see that you didn't think through your original rhetorical question. You were so excited by the prospect of drawing the political association you didn't stop to consider your reasoning for the motive of the protesting athletes was inductive, not deductive.

Consider these ideas more carefully in the future before questioning me.
“We” wouldn’t you dope, I’m saying that the IOC wants to make sure that nobody offends big powers, particularly China, because they’re kind of important.

If I have to give back “snowflake,” the right has to give back “fake news,” you snowflake.

Didn't Trump start the whole fake news thing with CNN? The Left just needs to come up their own Zingers as they don't really make as much sense when they get thrown at a conservative.

Snowflake stemmed from left leaning conceited college students that can't handle critical thinking from others.

Liberals tend to get called cucks, because they are more compassionate and have been known to put the well being of minorities before their own. Hence the term cuckold. As a cuckold is usually a wimpy white dude who lets a black dude fuck his wife while he watches.

Triggered is another word that doesn't really have the same effect on conservatives as it was as "Trigger Warnings" were dumb ass things that stemmed from left leaning millennials and were used on college campuses and social media to try not to offend people.

I don't even consider myself a conservative and will never use any of those words when discussing politics, but the left needs to get their own insults.

They should also ban pro athletes.. that's what fucked the Olympics.

Half the athletes competing in the Olympics were professional in every meaningful sense for decades prior to pro athletes being allowed to compete. So dropping the ban simply allowed more of the best athletes from Europe and North America to compete as well.

Liberal logic: "DURRRR this isn't free speech its ackchyually HATE speech and therefore should be banned. But other displays of political statements that I approve should be allowed!!!"

tenor.gif
Hmmmm I'm not a liberal but okay

What political ideology does a flag represent?

A flag and anthem are not reflective of an athlete, or persons political view.

National competition is inherently political, because nations are political entities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back