The IOC Bans Political Statements at the Olympics

What political ideology does a flag represent?

A flag and anthem are not reflective of an athlete, or persons political view.
Whatever are the current politics of the nation. It's a symbol whose meaning shifts based on the current direction of the nation and the position of those viewing it.

A flag and anthem are reflective of a nation's politics. I used the Kaep example because Kaep kneeled to express disagreement with a nation's action. And pretty much everyone in the country understood that not standing for the anthem was a political gesture. People who agreed with him said it's right to express your political position by not showing deference to the anthem. People who disagreed with him said that not standing for an anthem is a disrespectful gesture.

Both parties disagreed on Kaep's message but they both agreed that the anthem had meaning as a reflection of the nation and its values.

And the U.S. anthem/flag aren't unique in that fashion. Every flag carries the political weight of the country that it represents. Every time you ask someone to show deference to a anthem/flag and they don't agree with that nation's politics, you have introduced politics into the scenario.

I'd love to hear the logic of banning this being a snowflake

Snowflakes are called that bc they think everyone is special and individual, this is aimed at quite the opposite removing individuality...

This bizarro world use of that term needs to stop

Snowflakes are also soft and fragile.

It's a perfect use for the term. You dont have to like it, it's still gonna be used that way.

Snowflakes are also soft and fragile.

It's a perfect use for the term. You dont have to like it, it's still gonna be used that way.
And its incorrect, so people look inept using it

The term comes from no 2 snowflakes being the same. I.e. everyone is special

Whatever are the current politics of the nation. It's a symbol whose meaning shifts based on the current direction of the nation and the position of those viewing it.

A flag and anthem are reflective of a nation's politics. I used the Kaep example because Kaep kneeled to express disagreement with a nation's action. And pretty much everyone in the country understood that not standing for the anthem was a political gesture. People who agreed with him said it's right to express your political position by not showing deference to the anthem. People who disagreed with him said that not standing for an anthem is a disrespectful gesture.

Both parties disagreed on Kaep's message but they both agreed that the anthem had meaning as a reflection of the nation and its values.

And the U.S. anthem/flag aren't unique in that fashion. Every flag carries the political weight of the country that it represents. Every time you ask someone to show deference to a anthem/flag and they don't agree with that nation's politics, you have introduced politics into the scenario.

I disagree. The flag in of itself is just a identifying symbol of a country as is the anthem.

No, not at all

It's those that think their political opinion is so important it must be espoused at an event that has jack and shit to do with politics

The IOC is just pulling a Gervais, and should be commended
The Olympics have everything to do with politics. They're political showcases as much as athletic competitions and have been for decades. All sorts of political issues have run through the Olympics.

The games not going to certain countries, the introduction of women's sports. All political issues that play out outside of the actual competitions

And you're wrong on snowflake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang)
flake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.

You have the first half right, it's the second half that you're disregarding - the inability to handle opposing opinions.

Last edited:
Whatever you say
Clearly the IOC, and fans dont agree

And hahahaha at the first two definitions being the one I chose, that negates the further ones.

I am glad conservatives weren’t so anti free speech when Jesse Owens shoved Hitlers Arayan beliefs up Hitlers Candy Ass with a salute at 1936 Olympics. Jesse Owens salute after winning gold, showed Hitler, the diversity of America is our strength.
I remember when Conservatives cared about the deficit and free Speech.
Nah, they were vilified in the press for that salute.

Smith and Carlos were largely ostracized by the US sporting establishment and they were subject to criticism. Time magazine on October 25, 1968, wrote: "'Faster, Higher, Stronger' is the motto of the Olympic Games. 'Angrier, nastier, uglier' better describes the scene in Mexico City last week."[17][18] Back home, both Smith and Carlos were subject to abuse and they and their families received death threats.[19] Brent Musburger, a writer for the Chicago American before rising to prominence at CBS Sports and ESPN, described Smith and Carlos as "a couple of black-skinned storm troopers" who were "ignoble," "juvenile," and "unimaginative."[20]
Which makes it all the more ironic that conservatives here who spend their time raging against Kaepernick pretend they support Smith and Carlos's black power salute. lmao. In 20 years, their kids are going to be nagging about some other outspoken athlete and reminisce about the good old days of Kaepernick.

Do there have to be flags and anthems at the Olympics?

Yes. It's essentially the entire point of international competition. Taking pride in representing your country, and having your country's flag raised and anthem played, if you triumph. The countries participating are the teams.

Also, you don't care about the overall censorship. You would be the first to whine and bitch if a political statement was expressed that you didn't agree with. This is more about your assumption that the political beliefs YOU support might be censored. Your tune would change the moment a few American athletes donned the MAGA hat, and expressed their praise towards President Trump.

We all know that all it takes for you to support censorship/suppression of a political ideology, is a kid smirking at an obnoxious Indian while wearing a MAGA hat.

Besides, nothing is really being outright censored. They're just warning athletes that there will be consequences if they choose to do so. They can still do it, if they really want to.

I disagree. The flag in of itself is just a identifying symbol of a country as is the anthem.
You can disagree, you'd be wrong. Flags have never been just an identifying symbol of a country. And neither have anthems. It's a very reductive understanding of both flags and anthems over the course of history.

Let's take the American flag for instance. There is political ideology all throughout it. We have a "Flag Day" precisely because the flag represents so much more than just an identifying symbol..

Heres a quote from Ronal Reagan:
For with the birth of our nation, the cause of human freedom had become forever tied to that flag and its survival.

Woodrow Wilson:
I realize personally, my fellow citizens, the peculiar significance of the flag of the United States at this time, because there was a day not many years ago when, although I thought I knew what the flag stood for, it had not penetrated my whole consciousness as it has now.

Obama:
For more than 200 years, the American flag has been a proud symbol of the people of our Nation and the values for which we stand.

You can dig up Presidential addresses going back almost a 100 years and the flag has been tied to our global politics and our values.

And when you tell someone to show deference to our flag, you're asking them to show deference what that flag stands for.

And its incorrect, so people look inept using it

The term comes from no 2 snowflakes being the same. I.e. everyone is special

it's not, and I explained it.

again, you don't have to like it, you and your acknowledgement of what is correct don't matter.

Nah, they were vilified in the press for that salute.

Smith and Carlos were largely ostracized by the US sporting establishment and they were subject to criticism. Time magazine on October 25, 1968, wrote: "'Faster, Higher, Stronger' is the motto of the Olympic Games. 'Angrier, nastier, uglier' better describes the scene in Mexico City last week."[17][18] Back home, both Smith and Carlos were subject to abuse and they and their families received death threats.[19] Brent Musburger, a writer for the Chicago American before rising to prominence at CBS Sports and ESPN, described Smith and Carlos as "a couple of black-skinned storm troopers" who were "ignoble," "juvenile," and "unimaginative."[20]
Which makes it all the more ironic that conservatives here who spend their time raging against Kaepernick pretend they support Smith and Carlos's black power salute. lmao. In 20 years, their kids are going to be nagging about some other outspoken athlete and reminisce about the good old days of Kaepernick.
Reread my post, I was talking about Jesse Owens.
Speaking of Smith and Carlos there is a documentary about the Australian dude, Peter Norman who was also on the podium with them. He went through hell for just standing there, but it was an interesting documentary, you should check it out.
http://salutethemovie.com/

If you don’t want political statements, don’t bring out flags and play anthems. The moment you demand that someone stands a certain way while you wave your flag (political symbol) and play your national anthem (political song), YOU are the one bringing politics into the equation.

This is what I never got about the Kapernick thing; don’t want him kneeling, fine, don’t play the fucking anthem. What do sports have to do with displays of nationalism? They are entertainment; if I go to see a Metallica concert no one insists that I stand at respectful attention for a national anthem first, lol.

Because Kaepernick is insulting the country that gave him everything and makes his profession possible.

Because Kaepernick is insulting the country that gave him everything and makes his profession possible.

It's not really even that. It's the people thinking he should be free from consequence if he does it. @luckyshot believes that Kaep should be accommodated, and that the anthem should just stop being played because he doesn't agree with what it represents.

These Liberals want protest without consequence, which completely defeats the point of protest.

It's always "Me, me, me! Now, now, now!" with these Liberal goofs. Kaep expressed his right to protest. The NFL expressed their right to shit can him for pissing off their consumers. What's the problem? The problem is, they don't believe the NFL should be able to get rid of him, that would totally negate the "bravery" of his protest, which is of course, completely lost on them.

You can disagree, you'd be wrong. Flags have never been just an identifying symbol of a country. And neither have anthems. It's a very reductive understanding of both flags and anthems over the course of history.

Let's take the American flag for instance. There is political ideology all throughout it. We have a "Flag Day" precisely because the flag represents so much more than just an identifying symbol..

Heres a quote from Ronal Reagan:

Woodrow Wilson:

Obama:

You can dig up Presidential addresses going back almost a 100 years and the flag has been tied to our global politics and our values.

And when you tell someone to show deference to our flag, you're asking them to show deference what that flag stands for.
The flag itself has no political ideology. The US is the only country that I know of that has a flag day. Especially in an international competition in which all athletes, of varying views and philosophies are representing their country.

I never see the Norwegian flag or any other flared raised at a sporting competition and reflect on the political ideology of said nation. It's just the identification marker of a country.

There's far more nations in the Olympics outside the US and I can't think of any one who sees a flag raised at a medal ceremony and reflects on the current political climate of said nation

This is too easy, but nationalism at the very least. That's the floor, and all values attached to the national symbol in addition to that.

What values do you think of when the Belarus flag is raised at a medal ceremony?

It's not really even that. It's the people thinking he should be free from consequence if he does it. @luckyshot believes that Kaep should be accommodated, and that the anthem should just stop being played because he doesn't agree with what it represents.

These Liberals want protest without consequence, which completely defeats the point of protest.

It's always "Me, me, me! Now, now, now!" with these Liberal goofs. Kaep expressed his right to protest. The NFL expressed their right to shit can him for pissing off their consumers. What's the problem? The problem is, they don't believe the NFL should be able to get rid of him, that would totally negate the "bravery" of his protest, which is of course, completely lost on them.

Sure, they want their cake and to eat it to, and to make sure no one else has any cake.

Yes. It's essentially the entire point of international competition. Taking pride in representing your country, and having your country's flag raised and anthem played, if you triumph. The countries participating are the teams.

Also, you don't care about the overall censorship. You would be the first to whine and bitch if a political statement was expressed that you didn't agree with. This is more about your assumption that the political beliefs YOU support might be censored. Your tune would change the moment a few American athletes donned the MAGA hat, and expressed their praise towards President Trump.

We all know that all it takes for you to support censorship/suppression of a political ideology, is a kid smirking at an obnoxious Indian while wearing a MAGA hat.

Besides, nothing is really being outright censored. They're just warning athletes that there will be consequences if they choose to do so. They can still do it, if they really want to.

<{MingNope}>

IOC is well within their rights to ban political statements; I’m just here to say it’s dumb and inconsistent. Same with NFL and Kapernick. You took 500 words to say a bunch of dumb shit that I debunked in two lines.

Happy Friday, you sad Canuck.

<JRSmith40>

Back