The IOC Bans Political Statements at the Olympics

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
International Olympic Committee bans political statements by athletes at games
The new policies were drafted after two U.S. athletes were reprimanded for podium gestures at the Pan-American Games in August.
NBC News said:
LAUSANNE, Switzerland — No taking a knee at the Olympics. No hand gestures with political meaning. No disrespect at medal ceremonies.

The International Olympic Committee published guidelines Thursday specifying which types of athlete protests will not be allowed at the 2020 Tokyo Games.

Athletes are prohibited by the Olympic Charter's Rule 50 from taking a political stand in the field of play — like the raised fists by American sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Mexico City Games.

Today’s Olympians now know more about which acts of “divisive disruption” will lead to disciplinary action in Tokyo. They can still express political opinions in official media settings or on social media accounts.

200109-carlos-smith-1968-olympics-se-336p_8f5f89bb88a56514f32b97058601088e.fit-760w.jpg

U.S. athletes Tommie Smith, center, and John Carlos protest during the "The Star-Spangled Banner" after Smith received the gold and Carlos the bronze medal in the 200 meter run at the Summer Olympic Games in Mexico City, on Oct. 16, 1968.AP

“We needed clarity and they wanted clarity on the rules,” said Kirsty Coventry, chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission, which oversaw the new three-page document. “The majority of athletes feel it is very important that we respect each other as athletes.”

Coventry, an Olympic gold medalist in swimming, is now Zimbabwe’s sports minister.

Athletes who break protest rules at the July 24-Aug. 9 Tokyo Games face three rounds of disciplinary action — by the IOC, a sport’s governing body and a national Olympic body.

The new guidelines come after two American athletes were reprimanded by the U.S. Olympic Committee for medal podium protests at the Pan-American Games in August in Lima, Peru. Fencer Race Imboden kneeled and hammer thrower Gwen Berry raised a fist in protest. Both were put on probation for 12 months, a period that covers the Tokyo Olympics.

Other protests in 2019 included swimmers from Australia and Britain refusing to join world championship gold medalist Sun Yang on the podium because the Chinese star has been implicated in doping violations....

“It is a fundamental principle that sport is neutral and must be separate from political, religious or any other type of interference,” the IOC document states, urging “the focus for the field of play and related ceremonies must be on celebrating athletes’ performance.”
I don't think swimmers refusing to share a podium with a known doper should be construed as a "political" statement, since I don't see what about doping is political, but otherwise, I'm glad to see this nonsense cropped. The focus should be on the Games which are meant to unify us. Leave the divisive, narcissistic grandstanding for Twitter.

Kaepernick BTFO'd by the IOC.

[<dunn]

They should also ban pro athletes.. that's what fucked the Olympics.

The new policies were drafted after two U.S. athletes were reprimanded for podium gestures at the Pan-American Games in August.

I don't think swimmers refusing to share a podium with a known doper should be construed as a "political" statement, since I don't see what about doping is political, but otherwise, I'm glad to see this nonsense cropped. The focus should be on the Games which are meant to unify us. Leave the divisive, narcissistic grandstanding for Twitter.

[<dunn]

Sorry snowflake.
imrs.php

Owens.jpg

Right wing logic: "DURRR how dare people make political statements at our flag ceremony!!!!!!"

Good. Political stances in sports has just turned into virtue signaling branding these days anyway.

This...

imrs.php

And this...
gettyimages-612065034.jpg

Should not even be mentioned in the same sentence.

This is when the ones with balls on them do it anyway, and tell the IOC to get fucked.

[<dunn]
Madmick, you honestly don’t see the connection between the IOC banning political expression during the games and the Chinese doper?

[<dunn]

they are just trying to keep the hong kong protestors from getting the olympics banned in china....if china didn't go to the olympics they would miss out on all that good cheating

iu

TBH not every political statement is admirable.

and no political statements are admirable by more than half the earth's population

[<dunn]
Jesse Owens approves.

It is und good weather today, nein?
Burr on the guys cheering Hitler up after Owens destroyed them in 36

Last edited:
Right wing logic: "DURRR how dare people make political statements at our flag ceremony!!!!!!"
Its a gathering of different cultures and countries with varying beliefs. Not your soapbox.

Its a gathering of different cultures and countries with varying beliefs. Not your soapbox.

Taking away a Liberals soapbox is like stealing a piece of their core identity. This terrifies them.

This is when the ones with balls on them do it anyway, and tell the IOC to get fucked.
Yeah well said. Its easy to be political when that has no consequences but when its not convenient that's when you see genuine conviction.

Yeah well said. Its easy to be political when that has no consequences but when its not convenient that's when you see genuine conviction.
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

what are they gonna do take away your medals? that would only enhance the message x10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back