The IOC Bans Political Statements at the Olympics

At the Olympics? Are you brain dead?
Do there have to be flags and anthems at the Olympics?

If so, then it is absolutely non-sensical to ban political gestures.

“Hey! Quit it with your political gestures! Now hold your hand over your heart while I play this political anthem!”

Talk about a double bind, lol.

Its an international competition, you clown. Not a protest. Take flags and anthems out of international competition... For fucks sake.
A flag is political. If it isn’t, then no gesture that I make towards it is. See how that works, bubba?

Did you support Volkmann's right to make anti-Obama statements in his post fight interview as well?
I don’t give a foook, lol.

Last edited:
the whole point of anthem/flag is to have a symbol for the entire country, not a mere individual

Individual political statements are what this is talking about

why, pray tell, are people conflating the two?

what's the point of even competing for your nation?

hahahahaha
Thats just it, you're there as a representative of your nation, not yourself or some protest group.

the whole point of anthem/flag is to have a symbol for the entire country, not a mere individual

Individual political statements are what this is talking about

why, pray tell, are people conflating the two?
Ah, I get it. So the IOC is just banning individuality.

That’s... better?

How dare you work your whole life towards this goal and then have the unmitigated gall to express yourself!!

Maybe the athlete should just be ordered not to speak at all. Maybe they should all just wear masks. Maybe we shouldn’t refer to them by their names. Just American #1, Chinese #3, and so on.

It’s not about who they are, after all.

Can't be criticizing China, bad for business.
This, of course, is what it is really about.

Last edited:
You did get racial. Not cool man.
Lol. No I didn't. We are all one race. Homo sapien sapiens, us, have different levels of melanin in their skin depending on where your line of the group came from. I think that is where you got confused, glad I could help.

Affirmatively, what I was doing, was giving a poster who is a well known bigot shit for being so. I don't believe you and he are alike in that sense.

Sorry snowflake.
imrs.php

Owens.jpg
Pretty much what I was thinking. Some of the most iconic moments in Olympic history wouldn't be possible. I wonder which snowflake world leader is responsible for pushing this behind the scenes.

I'd love to hear the logic of banning this being a snowflake

Snowflakes are called that bc they think everyone is special and individual, this is aimed at quite the opposite removing individuality...

This bizarro world use of that term needs to stop

Snowflakes are called that bc they think everyone is special and individual, this is aimed at quite the opposite removing individuality...

Quiet, snowflake.

J/k

But, really, snowflake has taken in the broader meaning of someone who is too easily offended.

Last edited:
Homo sapien sapiens, us, have different levels of melanin in their skin depending on where your line of the group came from.

Race and ethnicity is more than just melanin. If you showed me pictures of a Sub-Saharan African face, European face, and Korean face I'm sure I could tell which was which even if someone distorted the pictures so that each face's color appeared the same as the others'.

Representing your country at an international competition isn't political. Flag and anthem are not inherently political in international competition.

If you want to make a political statement, go ahead. No one gives a shit beside the 5mins of social media support anyways
I disagree. As @luckyshot says, once you start demanding that people stand and respect the flag and anthem of some other country, you're introducing politics into the event. You think Indians will stand and respect the flag and anthem of Pakistan or vice versa without it dredging up long simmering political issues? Israel and many M.E. countries? Flags and anthems might not be inherently political but demanding that other people demonstrate any level of deference or respect to them changes that.

Kaep is a great example of that. He chose to kneel during the anthem. One random guy kneeling shouldn't turn a non-political event into a political one but lots of people view their flag and their anthem as representations of themselves and their cultural and political standing. So, all those people couldn't separate Kaep's actions from the politics of it. And Kaep knelt to demonstrate his political beliefs. Because standing during the anthem showcased on set of politics and not standing showcased a different set.

There's no way the politics of a nation can be separated from the most prominent symbols of those nations, their flag and their anthem.

I disagree. As @luckyshot says, once you start demanding that people stand and respect the flag and anthem of some other country, you're introducing politics into the event. You think Indians will stand and respect the flag and anthem of Pakistan or vice versa without it dredging up long simmering political issues? Israel and many M.E. countries? Flags and anthems might not be inherently political but demanding that other people demonstrate any level of deference or respect to them changes that.

Kaep is a great example of that. He chose to kneel during the anthem. One random guy kneeling shouldn't turn a non-political event into a political one but lots of people view their flag and their anthem as representations of themselves and their cultural and political standing. So, all those people couldn't separate Kaep's actions from the politics of it. And Kaep knelt to demonstrate his political beliefs. Because standing during the anthem showcased on set of politics and not standing showcased a different set.

There's no way the politics of a nation can be separated from the most prominent symbols of those nations, their flag and their anthem.

What political ideology does a flag represent?

A flag and anthem are not reflective of an athlete, or persons political view.

When the anthem is played at the Olympics, It's definitely not played to "honor the troops", its generic national pride.

So it's not some sacred moment that's been interrupted.

Snowflakes are those people think they are so special and individual that they can't handle being exposed to things that offend them. Every offensive opinion and gesture needs to be tamped down so that they're not triggered by seeing or hearing stuff.

And on another point, there may be times when it's horribly inappropriate, or a complete asshole move to do it,

but fuck ever being for voices being silenced or banned.

Some bootlicker bullshit right there

Race and ethnicity is more than just melanin. If you showed me pictures of a Sub-Saharan African face, European face, and Korean face I'm sure I could tell which was which even if someone distorted the pictures so that each face's color appeared the same as the others'.
There is one race. Human. Period. The classification of people by color of skin and facial structure is imaginary and predicated on perceived differences, not real ones. I'm well aware people look different and that "racial bias" exists not because people are evil.

Snowflakes are those people think they are so special and individual that they can't handle being exposed to things that offend them. Every offensive opinion and gesture needs to be tamped down so that they're not triggered by seeing or hearing stuff.
No, not at all

It's those that think their political opinion is so important it must be espoused at an event that has jack and shit to do with politics

The IOC is just pulling a Gervais, and should be commended

Fans watch for athletics, it's literally the point of sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back