The HW division is the most competitive...

But the high quality lightweight, more often than not, gets killed by a low quality heavyweight.

Which has zero bearing on the fact that professional coaches, analysts and fighters, including heavy guys, say the divisions with the deeper talent pools - FW/LW/WW - are more competitive than LHW/HW

giphy.gif

Imagine Conner Mcgreger vs Francis Ngannou open weight

OMFG would be first death in UFC he might hit him so hard he fly out cage lmfaoooooo

Which has zero bearing on the fact that professional coaches, analysts and fighters, including heavy guys, say the divisions with the deeper talent pools - FW/LW/WW - are more competitive than LHW/HW

giphy.gif
Yes, there are a lot more smaller fighters than bigger ones, probably because most professional sports don't have weightclasses.

I've never heard anyone claim they were dropping down to fight better competition.
cormier_qa.jpg

Cormier never lost a round at HW yet alone a fight.
He never had any competition untill he went to LHW

Last edited:
welcome to sherdog where people will argue with you about anything no matter how much sense it makes.

if being the heavy weight champ was easy everyone would be doing it.

Yes, there are a lot more smaller fighters than bigger ones, probably because most professional sports don't have weightclasses.

Yeah, it's partly that orgs like the NFL draw so much large talent, but mostly just because the average athletic man is basically a natural LW

MMA-Heights-5.jpg

People say that Light Heavyweight is a wasteland, meaning there are only two/three fighters that are actually decent; the same is said of Heavyweight... and the SAME is said of Flyweight, Featherweight, and even Middleweight (where people say the division is so shallow that a 42 year-old Yoel Romero that is technically on a losing streak is fighting for the title - which, by the way, I am glad because I don't think he should have lost his last fights, but that's besides the point).

That leaves us with only three divisions that are acceptable: Bantamweight (not even agreed upon by everyone), Lightweight, and Welterweight.

Do you see what I am trying to say? That if you truly analyze the roster and the top 10 of each division, it shows you that the UFC is somewhat of a shitty fighting league. Think about it - the top fighters fight one another multiple times, which is another reason why people typically consider divisions wastelands - because the champs fight the same individuals numerous times because there's "no one else" worthy and the difference in skill between the handful of top fighters and everyone else is too vast (top 3 of Light Heavyweight; top 3 of Heavyweight; top 2 of Flyweight; top 3 of Bantamweight; top 3 of Featherweight.

I am not whining about the quality of the fighters - quite the opposite. I am merely stating that according to the fans, the UFC is a shitty fighting league (they don't realize they are saying this, but they truly are), and thinking about it deeply, yes, the UFC is actually a shitty fighting league. There's no influx of athletes arriving to even the odds. It's always the top 3 fighters, who aren't even typically considered that good by MMA fans, who overshadow everyone else, and those other people are considered uninteresting trash. If UFC is the top dog, that shows you how poorly MMA is doing athletically.

It's like a telenovela, with the exact same characters participating continually, and everyone else is just a side character.

People say that Light Heavyweight is a wasteland, meaning there are only two/three fighters that are actually decent; the same is said of Heavyweight... and the SAME is said of Flyweight, Featherweight, and even Middleweight (where people say the division is so shallow that a 42 year-old Yoel Romero that is technically on a losing streak is fighting for the title - which, by the way, I am glad because I don't think he should have lost his last fights, but that's besides the point).

That leaves us with only three divisions that are acceptable: Bantamweight (not even agreed upon by everyone), Lightweight, and Welterweight.

Do you see what I am trying to say? That if you truly analyze the roster and the top 10 of each division, it shows you that the UFC is somewhat of a shitty fighting league. Think about it - the top fighters fight one another multiple times, which is another reason why people typically consider divisions wastelands - because the champs fight the same individuals numerous times because there's "no one else" worthy and the difference in skill between the handful of top fighters and everyone else is too vast (top 3 of Light Heavyweight; top 3 of Heavyweight; top 2 of Flyweight; top 3 of Bantamweight; top 3 of Featherweight.

I am not whining about the quality of the fighters - quite the opposite. I am merely stating that according to the fans, the UFC is a shitty fighting league (they don't realize they are saying this, but they truly are), and thinking about it deeply, yes, the UFC is actually a shitty fighting league. There's no influx of athletes arriving to even the odds. It's always the top 3 fighters, who aren't even typically considered that good by MMA fans, who overshadow everyone else, and those other people are considered uninteresting trash. If UFC is the top dog, that shows you how poorly MMA is doing athletically.

It's like a telenovela, with the exact same characters participating continually, and everyone else is just a side character.
And this is why the UFC is the greatest MMA promotion on the planet...because they have everyone believing that they are the best, true or not.

cormier_qa.jpg

He never fought anybody great at heavyweight before he dropped

I know that people talk about the HW division being garbage and that the real competition is at lower classes
Ah, yeah, people talk that because it's true. Heavyweight are historically the division with the smallest number of fighters. Smaller pool of talent, more shitty product at the end. Simple.
but remember, the lower classes were created to protect competitors from the big dogs. All of the skill in the world flys out of the window, along with your teeth, when you get clocked.
It's not exactly like that. We've seen a lot successful movement up a weightclass by random fighters. They tend to beat the low level opponents, despite giving up size. Of course when they face skilled opposition the size come into play. And I've seen such fights, you've seen such fights, don't act like it's not true.
I hear that certain fighters won't move up because there is no competition but that makes zero sense. They all want to be the big dog at the top of the hill and that is at HW. I don't see how anyone would want to starve and dehydrate themselves to "fight better competition" when they could jump right in and fight at their natural/walk-around weight but we all know that is not the goal.
The certain fighers who won't move up is Jon Jones. He is doing it because he has very little problems to cut to 205. He is not that big. He is tall and all, but he is certainly not the biggest 205er. The rest that you wrote are just random sentences without any meaning and I can't answer to them.

the lower classes were created to protect competitors from the big dogs.

Bullshit. Divisions were first used in the UFC because they couldn't control matchmaking in a Tournament format. After Shamrock and Gracie both bowed out of a Tournament they brought on a trend of "superfights". After the disastrous UFC 11 tournament and the Hall/Frye fixed tournament fight the UFC adopted weight classes and smaller tourneys before abandoning it all together to simply make the fights they wanted.

Fighters from lighter weightclasses are usually faster, thus they make fight more interesting or fast pace.

Competitiveness under the same condition/rule/physique/skillset between two fighters are what that make the fight, the matchup interesting.

p/s:
Everybody knows heavier weightclasses packed more power per punch/per offense but competitiveness/matchup is what make it entertaining.

Fighters from lighter weightclasses are usually faster, thus they make fight more interesting or fast pace.

Competitiveness under the same condition/rule/physique/skillset between two fighters are what that make the fight, the matchup interesting.

p/s:
Everybody knows heavier weightclasses packed more power per punch/per offense but competitiveness/matchup is what make it entertaining.
An analogy, if we have animal combats / animal mma (whatever that they wanted to call it),
I think I still watched both cat vs cat, and dog vs dog. Or pigeon vs pigeon, duck vs duck.

To watch python vs python probably will be slow as fck fcking fight but I'll watch it anyway.

cormier_qa.jpg

But he didnt go down to "find competition", he didn't want to clash with a friend. He beat evwryone at LW, with tje exception of jones, but was killing himself to make the cut. That is why jones won't fight him at HW because he won't be drained .

Ah, yeah, people talk that because it's true. Heavyweight are historically the division with the smallest number of fighters. Smaller pool of talent, more shitty product at the end. Simple.

It's not exactly like that. We've seen a lot successful movement up a weightclass by random fighters. They tend to beat the low level opponents, despite giving up size. Of course when they face skilled opposition the size come into play. And I've seen such fights, you've seen such fights, don't act like it's not true.

The certain fighers who won't move up is Jon Jones. He is doing it because he has very little problems to cut to 205. He is not that big. He is tall and all, but he is certainly not the biggest 205er. The rest that you wrote are just random sentences without any meaning and I can't answer to them.
jon jones just admitted that he cut from 245 to 230lbs with a six-pack. He isn't too small for the division, he is too chickenshit @DivineMind @20falarVerdades @ermac88.

But you left an important reason for making weight cuts...it isn't to face better competition, it is to avoid better competition.

Bullshit. Divisions were first used in the UFC because they couldn't control matchmaking in a Tournament format. After Shamrock and Gracie both bowed out of a Tournament they brought on a trend of "superfights". After the disastrous UFC 11 tournament and the Hall/Frye fixed tournament fight the UFC adopted weight classes and smaller tourneys before abandoning it all together to simply make the fights they wanted.
That is a creative explanation but not the right one. Once you apply rules, gloves and cups, it is no longer a level playing field across different sizes. With hands wrapped and taped, you can punch a brick wall all day when, before, you had to be selective with your shots to avoid breaking a knuckle or finger, no latter how big you were.

Back