The HW division is the most competitive...

TrueFightFan

Fight Purist
Banned
Reaction score
I know that people talk about the HW division being garbage and that the real competition is at lower classes but remember, the lower classes were created to protect competitors from the big dogs. All of the skill in the world flys out of the window, along with your teeth, when you get clocked. I hear that certain fighters won't move up because there is no competition but that makes zero sense. They all want to be the big dog at the top of the hill and that is at HW. I don't see how anyone would want to starve and dehydrate themselves to "fight better competition" when they could jump right in and fight at their natural/walk-around weight but we all know that is not the goal.

Sure. If we ignore weight classes, the HW fighters are obviously the best fighters in the world. I don't think anyone will argue that.

However, living in the real world of the UFC where weight classes do exist, the HW division is definitely not the most competitive division. Nowhere near the overall depth and skill of the FW/LW/WW divisions.

I've never heard anyone claim they were dropping down to fight better competition.

The lower classes were created because the orgs could get more fighters, more fights and more money.
Simple as that!

It's always weird when fans white knight the bulkier divisions given that even big dudes like Schaub and Forrest and Big John McCarthy have openly admitted the lighter classes were significantly more skilled due to the significantly deeper talent pools around FW/LW/WW

It's always weird when fans white knight the bulkier divisions given that even big dudes like Schaub and Forrest and Big John McCarthy have openly admitted the lighter classes were significantly more skilled due to the significantly deeper talent pools around FW/LW/WW
Well, put what you're saying in the context of any other sport and see if it still stands up. Say they created an NFL Lite with a weight limit of 170 pounds. Would anyone be saying that those players were significantly more skilled because there is a deeper talent pool of people weighing 170 pounds?

Sure. If we ignore weight classes, the HW fighters are obviously the best fighters in the world. I don't think anyone will argue that.

However, living in the real world of the UFC where weight classes do exist, the HW division is definitely not the most competitive division. Nowhere near the overall depth and skill of the FW/LW/WW divisions.
Good post. A lot of people don't recognize this and act as if fighters avoid the division for competitive reasons but we know why they avoid it.

Skills dont always win you fights. That's why fighters cut weight.

Well, put what you're saying in the context of any other sport and see if it still stands up. Say they created an NFL Lite with a weight limit of 170 pounds. Would anyone be saying that those players were significantly more skilled because there is a deeper talent pool of people weighing 170 pounds?

Sure. Anyone who understands talent and skill would be saying exactly that.

I mean, I'm 6'2" 210 so I'm primed to be biased toward the bulkier divisions, but the difference in fighter quality between LHWs and LWs is just too dang obvious to ignore.

If you just look at the hw title holders over the history of the UFC you will see that most of the champions were not the 265 mark. In fact most came in much smaller. This leans away from your theory that bigger is better. In fact it lends credence to the thought that faster and sharper is better.

Hence the argument you have made in your OP is off by a large margin

The HW division is the most competitive...
giphy.gif

Sure. Anyone who understands talent and skill would be saying exactly that.

I mean, I'm 6'2" 210 so I'm primed to be biased toward the bulkier divisions, but the difference in fighter quality between LHWs and LWs is just too dang obvious to ignore.
But the high quality lightweight, more often than not, gets killed by a low quality heavyweight.

Also Minowa has crushed all your idiotic theories about weight classes

SUPER HULK champion of the WORLD

If you just look at the hw title holders over the history of the UFC you will see that most of the champions were not the 265 mark. In fact most came in much smaller. This leans away from your theory that bigger is better. In fact it lends credence to the thought that faster and sharper is better.

Hence the argument you have made in your OP is off by a large margin
I didnt say that "bigger is better" but that's why "goats" like jon jones avoid the HW division like the plague. People will argue about skills but even he doesn't believe he can cut it at HW.

Back