The HW division is the most competitive...

Sure. If we ignore weight classes, the HW fighters are obviously the best fighters in the world. I don't think anyone will argue that.

However, living in the real world of the UFC where weight classes do exist, the HW division is definitely not the most competitive division. Nowhere near the overall depth and skill of the FW/LW/WW divisions.
He dint mention skill. Just the most competitive. On any night any one of those big boys can land the right shot and KO anyone else. Classes like LW and WW you have huge skill gaps in the top 15 but at HW on any night a top 15 guy could win the belt.

He dint mention skill. Just the most competitive. On any night any one of those big boys can land the right shot and KO anyone else. Classes like LW and WW you have huge skill gaps in the top 15 but at HW on any night a top 15 guy could win the belt.
A big part of the "skill disparity" is that the HWs don't have to have great technique to win fights.

Any man who's at least 5'4" can sumo bloat up to 220+ pounds and fight at heavyweight. Most men don't want to do with obviously so they stay lean and fight in lower weight classes.

DO NOT think that fat is bad for martial arts or that weight doesn't transfer up. Weight it weight. There is no such thing as a "bloated x weight". A 200 pound man is 200 pounds. A 240 pound man is 240 pounds.

If Cejudo were to sumo bloat up to 220-230 pounds at ~25-30% bodyfat and get used to the way his body operates and moves at that weight, he could be a top 10 HW given his level of skill in wrestling and Muay Thai and his short height (srs). But he'd have to eat 5000 calories a day and live the life of a sumo wrestler and look like a butterball, which might not be what he wants when he is shredded and lean at ~160 pounds right now.

Last edited:
Bad analogy... Foreman and Ali were both HWs. Try Ali vs Mayweather.

Yeah, they were both heavyweights... but I still feel the analogy has bearing simply by convenience of making a point. Ali realistically if he was a modern day fighter could've made LHW. George Foreman could NEVER have. Ali like Tyson was a lot smaller than most of the people he fought. It was just one of the most convenient actual examples of a smarter, smaller fighter beating a known powerhouse/killer.

Sure. If we ignore weight classes, the HW fighters are obviously the best fighters in the world. I don't think anyone will argue that.

However, living in the real world of the UFC where weight classes do exist, the HW division is definitely not the most competitive division. Nowhere near the overall depth and skill of the FW/LW/WW divisions.
It's so competitive, Jon Jones is steering clear of it.

Any man who's at least 5'4" can sumo bloat up to 220+ pounds and fight at heavyweight. Most men don't want to do with obviously so they stay lean and fight in lower weight classes.

DO NOT think that fat is bad for martial arts or that weight doesn't transfer up. Weight it weight. There is no such thing as a "bloated x weight". A 200 pound man is 200 pounds. A 240 pound man is 240 pounds.

If Cejudo were to sumo bloat up to 220-230 pounds at ~25-30% bodyfat and get used to the way his body operates and moves at that weight, he could be a top 10 HW given his level of skill in wrestling and Muay Thai and his short height (srs). But he'd have to eat 5000 calories a day and live the life of a sumo wrestler and look like a butterball, which might not be what he wants when he is shredded and lean at ~160 pounds right now.
I appreciate the effort but I don't think that is how It works. Very creative, though.

I would, however, give Cejudo a chance fighting at his "walk around weight" (160ish) using the old UFC rules. No eye gouges, no fishhooking and no biting. Gloves help the bigger guys more than they do the little guys (broken hands and fingers keep you from being able to just swing away) and nut-shots can be a great equalizer. A well placed punch or kick to the balls could make for an interesting Cejudo vs Ngannou fight .

The lower classes were created because the orgs could get more fighters, more fights and more money.
Simple as that!

The further away a fighter is from HW, the less I care. I want to see the best fighters in the world and they fight at HW.

When I look at the UFC HW champion, I know that there are likely fewer than a handful of people in the entire world who could beat him. I find that amazingly impressive.

When I look at the UFC Bantam weight champion, I wonder how many millions of people could beat him in a fight. It isn't nearly as impressive. That's not to say they can't put on a good show, especially against someone of similar skill level and weight, but I don't find it nearly as intriguing as watching 2 of the world's absolute best fighters compete against each other.

More "belts" = more "champions", which equate to more headliners to fill shit level fight night cards and watered down PPV's.

For example, I look at WMMA like I look at Pee-wee football. There can be competitive matches but there's no way I'm spending top dollar to watch it.

Last edited:
The further away a fighter is from HW, the less I care. I want to see the best fighters in the world and they fight at HW.

When I look at the UFC HW champion, I know that there are likely fewer than a handful of people in the entire world who could beat him. I find that amazingly impressive.

When I look at the UFC Bantam weight champion, I wonder how many millions of people could beat him in a fight. It isn't nearly as impressive. That's not too say they can't put on a good show, especially against someone of similar skill level and weight, but I don't find it nearly as intriguing as watching 2 of the world's absolute best fighters compete against each other.

More "belts" = more "champions", which equate to more headliners to fill shit level fight night cards and watered down PPV's.

For example, I look at WMMA like I look at Pee-wee football. There can be competitive matches but there's no way I'm spending top dollar to watch it.
Well said...

Actually, if there were a pro basketball league for guys 6’2” and under, it could be pretty amazing.
There are some amazing high school and college players that don’t go to the top because of height issues.

A 5’5” point guard, a 5’10” power forward, and a 6’2” center.
Would be fun to watch.

Actually, if there were a pro basketball league for guys 6’2” and under, it could be pretty amazing.
There are some amazing high school and college players that don’t go to the top because of height issues.

A 5’5” point guard, a 5’10” power forward, and a 6’2” center.
Would be fun to watch.
Fun to watch but it wouldn't have the best players.

Jones has beaten multiple HW champions in different orgs.
Danny Cormier
Ryan Bader
Brandon Vera
I like your creativity, jon. Let's hope you put it together on Saturday. You should probably focus on the fight and get off of Sherdog.

Back