The Dive Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
In conclusion, combining RNA profiling with single-gene DNA marker association analysis yields a strongly validated molecular predictor with meaningful explanatory power. VO2max responses to endurance training can be predicted by measuring a approximately 30-gene RNA expression signature in muscle prior to training.

I don't doubt that some people could respond slightly better or worse to exercise. But to say that 10% of people just don't adapt at all just seems ridiculous.

Also, for some more laughs:

''Some people get big just by walking by the barbells,'' Dr. Thompson said. ''Others can lift weights a lot and their muscles don't grow much.''

The study, with Dr. Eric Hoffman, a geneticist at the Children's National Medical Center in Washington and others, involves 700 men and 700 women who had not previously lifted weights and who agreed to train in a laboratory. They are trying to build the biceps and triceps muscles of one arm only. The other arm serves as a control while the researchers look for genetic variants that can explain their responses to training.

Although muscle strength and size seem to go together, Dr. Hoffman says they are independent -- some people can gain muscle size but not much strength; others can gain strength but not much size. Some gain both. Others gain neither.

I'm starting to get really into shooting pool again. My parents got a really nice table and I'm playing for about 10+ hours a week. I'm trying to step up my game to the next level, and was wondering if anyone has any tips. I was wondering if people just work on things when playing games, or if they do drills and such.

I don't doubt that some people could respond slightly better or worse to exercise. But to say that 10% of people just don't adapt at all just seems ridiculous.

Listen, my knee jerk reaction to that specific claim was the same as everybody else's here: "that can't be right, someone made a mistake (probably human stupidity is heavily involved in this mistake!)".

But this dude has been conducting research on this particular field for far too long to right down discredit his opinion due to stupidity, without first examining the research he has conducted.

I think this board could be better served by keeping a slightly more open mind in general. We all have our preconceived notions, but if some well designed research goes against the so-called "forum consensus", then instead of dismissing it right of the bat, we would be better served by examining it and reassessing our opinions if necessary.

The recent thread about the skier including half squats and proprioceptive training in her workout was a strong example of a lack of an open-minded perspective.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get really into shooting pool again. My parents got a really nice table and I'm playing for about 10+ hours a week. I'm trying to step up my game to the next level, and was wondering if anyone has any tips. I was wondering if people just work on things when playing games, or if they do drills and such.

I think playing a lot is huge since it helps you develop consistency. There are drills you can do, I just don't know what they are. My parents have a pool table at the cottage and I try to play a game or two when I'm up there but I'm so inconsistent. My Dad has a book full of drills that he tries sometimes. The only one I can think off hand is playing a game where you can only do bank shots. That one is brutally hard. We played a game (8 ball) for around an hour and I didn't sink a single ball and I think he sank one.

Also: lol!

tom-cruise-on-oprah.jpg

I think I may play nine ball by myself some for now.

Also, for some more laughs:

''Some people get big just by walking by the barbells,'' Dr. Thompson said. ''Others can lift weights a lot and their muscles don't grow much.''

The study, with Dr. Eric Hoffman, a geneticist at the Children's National Medical Center in Washington and others, involves 700 men and 700 women who had not previously lifted weights and who agreed to train in a laboratory. They are trying to build the biceps and triceps muscles of one arm only. The other arm serves as a control while the researchers look for genetic variants that can explain their responses to training.

Although muscle strength and size seem to go together, Dr. Hoffman says they are independent -- some people can gain muscle size but not much strength; others can gain strength but not much size. Some gain both. Others gain neither."

That is some funny shit. I want to see all these guys with inherited trainability with one big arm now. Is Dr Hoffman retarded? Aren't the measurements from "before training" the control?

That is some funny shit. I want to see all these guys with inherited trainability with one big arm now. Is Dr Hoffman retarded? Aren't the measurements from "before training" the control?

I guess they also didn't read this first:

edit - the filter doesn't like the URL so I'll just post an article summary. for more info, google "contralateral effect"

Contralateral effects of unilateral strength training: evidence and possible mechanisms
Timothy J. Carroll,1 Robert D. Herbert,2 Joanne Munn,2 Michael Lee,1 and Simon C. Gandevia3

1Health and Exercise Science, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, 2School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, and 3Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

If exercises are performed to increase muscle strength on one side of the body, voluntary strength can increase on the contralateral side. This effect, termed the contralateral strength training effect, is usually measured in homologous muscles. Although known for over a century, most studies have not been designed well enough to show a definitive transfer of strength that could not be explained by factors such as familiarity with the testing. However, an updated meta-analysis of 16 properly controlled studies (range 15–48 training sessions) shows that the size of the contralateral strength training effect is ~8% of initial strength or about half the increase in strength of the trained side. This estimate is similar to results of a large, randomized controlled study of training for the elbow flexors (contralateral effect of 7% initial strength or one-quarter of the effect on the trained side). This is likely to reflect increased motoneuron output rather than muscular adaptations, although most methods are insufficiently sensitive to detect small muscle contributions. Two classes of central mechanism are identified. One involves a "spillover" to the control system for the contralateral limb, and the other involves adaptations in the control system for the trained limb that can be accessed by the untrained limb. Cortical, subcortical and spinal levels are all likely to be involved in the "transfer," and none can be excluded with current data. Although the size of the effect is small and may not be clinically significant, study of the phenomenon provides insight into neural mechanisms associated with exercise and training.

contralateral strength training effect; meta-analysis; motor cortex; spinal cord; voluntary activation

In a nutshell, training one side affects the strength of the other side, via a kind of "crossover" effect in the CNS. It's something that's been utilized for a while now for physical therapy.

Listen, my knee jerk reaction to that specific claim was the same as everybody else's here: "that can't be right, someone made a mistake (probably human stupidity is heavily involved in this mistake!)".

But this dude has been conducting research on this particular field for far too long to right down discredit his opinion due to stupidity, without first examining the research he has conducted.

I think this board could be better served by keeping a slightly more open mind in general. We all have our preconceived notions, but if some well designed research goes against the so-called "forum consensus", then instead of dismissing it right of the bat, we would be better served by examining it and reassessing our opinions if necessary.

The recent thread about the skier including half squats and proprioceptive training in her workout was a strong example of a lack of an open-minded perspective.

Maybe you're right. I might look at some of his other research later.

But just from a purely evolutionary standpoint, I have a very difficult time believing that such a large number as 10% of the human population just don't adapt to exercise. I don't understand how humans could have survived if such a large number of them simply don't have the ability to raise their cardiovascular fitness above couch-potato levels.

The only thing I can think of is that those individuals tended to be killed off early a long time ago, but as civilization got less dependent on manual work those with the "unfit gene" started living full lives and reproducing.

*shudders*

I've played pool for about 20 years. I'm not sure how viable these "drills" are but I do them sometimes anyway. Play games where you do nothing but banks, play games where you do nothing but cuts. I frequently play myself in 8 ball and just try to make all the solids and until I miss try to make all the stripes. You could just as easily do the same thing with 9 ball or straight pool where you pretty much call everything. Another I like to do for kicks is set up a ball in the cradle of each pocket and see the fewest shows I can make them in. 4 is child's play and I can regularly do 3. I have tried to get all six balls in 2 shots and I've managed it once or twice but it's hard.

If you're good enough, there's a drill Paul Newman is doing in The Color of Money where he places the balls in sort of a triangle around a pocket and works on making each ball in the same pocket without picking up the cue ball or hitting the other balls on a particular shot. You have to make immaculate touch on your bottom English though.

I've played pool for about 20 years. I'm not sure how viable these "drills" are but I do them sometimes anyway. Play games where you do nothing but banks, play games where you do nothing but cuts. I frequently play myself in 8 ball and just try to make all the solids and until I miss try to make all the stripes. You could just as easily do the same thing with 9 ball or straight pool where you pretty much call everything. Another I like to do for kicks is set up a ball in the cradle of each pocket and see the fewest shows I can make them in. 4 is child's play and I can regularly do 3. I have tried to get all six balls in 2 shots and I've managed it once or twice but it's hard.

If you're good enough, there's a drill Paul Newman is doing in The Color of Money where he places the balls in sort of a triangle around a pocket and works on making each ball in the same pocket without picking up the cue ball or hitting the other balls on a particular shot. You have to make immaculate touch on your bottom English though.

I played nine ball by myself quite a bit today. I also played my wife where I could only make banks, combos, or go off the rail with the cue ball first. It actually got down to the 8 ball, and she's not that bad of a pool player. I worked on bank shots, cross-cuts, and going off the rail quite a bit today. I think I need to start heading to pool halls again for a change of pace.

This presentation is pretty fucking awesome (for more than one reason):

This presentation is pretty fucking awesome (for more than one reason):

Cool post. I am guilty of spending more than I needed to to have a computer that boots up in about 5 seconds and is fast. My moms computer can take a minute to boot and it drives me nutts and god forbid I have to wait 5-10 seconds for a webpage to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back