The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

Im draining 2-3 mLs a night. My ear is fucking HUGE right now and it is fuckign excruciating. In a week I think I am just going to go to the doctor to have it stitched or bolstered. Not because of the appearance, but because I literally cant roll because it hurts so bad. Today when I was rolling it got squeezed so hard during a sweep, that it literally forced the hole from last nights syringe back open and started bleeding in my ear. From the sound and the pain, I thought it popped, so it was actually a relief. This seriously sucks so fucking much, and Im in Brazil where everyone is retarded so going to the doctor is going to be a fucking pain

Im draining 2-3 mLs a night. My ear is fucking HUGE right now and it is fuckign excruciating. In a week I think I am just going to go to the doctor to have it stitched or bolstered. Not because of the appearance, but because I literally cant roll because it hurts so bad. Today when I was rolling it got squeezed so hard during a sweep, that it literally forced the hole from last nights syringe back open and started bleeding in my ear. From the sound and the pain, I thought it popped, so it was actually a relief. This seriously sucks so fucking much, and Im in Brazil where everyone is retarded so going to the doctor is going to be a fucking pain

Dude take like 3 days off. Drain it, put some ice in a plastic bag on it. Go to bed, wake up, drain it again if needed, stay off it. It might keep refilling for a day or two and just keep it empty. Squeeze that shit out after you drain so it's ALL out and ice ice ice when it's fresh. I used to have to drain like 1-2x a day and I would get almost a full syringe every time. Sometimes 2-3 full ones. Within a month I got the system down and now it doesn't even come back bad at all.

Dude take like 3 days off. Drain it, put some ice in a plastic bag on it. Go to bed, wake up, drain it again if needed, stay off it. It might keep refilling for a day or two and just keep it empty. Squeeze that shit out after you drain so it's ALL out and ice ice ice when it's fresh. I used to have to drain like 1-2x a day and I would get almost a full syringe every time. Sometimes 2-3 full ones. Within a month I got the system down and now it doesn't even come back bad at all.

Ahh, years of wading through shitty posts on Sherdog finally pays off with someone that can give me advice from experience. Thank you. I was nervous because by the time I wake up its full again. Thank god Im in Brazil where I can buy syringes no questions asked instead of having to sign fucking papers and shit or getting denied flat out

Ahh, years of wading through shitty posts on Sherdog finally pays off with someone that can give me advice from experience. Thank you. I was nervous because by the time I wake up its full again. Thank god Im in Brazil where I can buy syringes no questions asked instead of having to sign fucking papers and shit or getting denied flat out

NP bro. Let me know how things work out. I developed a sensitivity to the friction on the ears after like 3-4 years of training and that was the first time I had to start draining. Now I don't have to anymore and my ears still look 90% normal which is great.

So Im down from 2-3mLs a day to 1/2 or 3/4. Mainly its when I sleep that it fills back up. Its really hardened up so draining it is a bitch now, because i have to realllly press the syringe hard to break through and get to the part where the blood is. But its only slightly bad when filled and almost normal looking again when its drained.

NP bro. Let me know how things work out. I developed a sensitivity to the friction on the ears after like 3-4 years of training and that was the first time I had to start draining. Now I don't have to anymore and my ears still look 90% normal which is great.

How come you don't wear headgear?

Further, do they allow headgear in BJJ competition?

How come you don't wear headgear?

Further, do they allow headgear in BJJ competition?

I probably started training in like 2004 and I never wore headgear just because I didn't think about it and my ears were fine. It wasn't until sometime in 2009 that my ears started flaring up. I think it had to do with some of the guys I was rolling with trying too hard for guillotine chokes that they didn't have.

Anyway, with 4-5 years of no headgear, I couldn't bring myself to start wearing it and prefer to just drain (though I don't have to anymore).

I can't recall seeing people wearing headgear in competition but I think it's usually allowed, someone else would be able to answer better on that.

Is it true that you can't sleep on cauliflower ears 'cause it feels hard like stones when you lay on it? I wouldn't care too much about the look if I get one, but that would bother me alot.

Proof Chicks dig cauliflower ear :p

cauliflower.jpg

lol found this when flipping through pics from a Halloween party I was at.

Proof Chicks dig cauliflower ear :p

cauliflower.jpg

lol found this when flipping through pics from a Halloween party I was at.
nice, but It really depends on the chick... some find it a turn on, others find it a turn off, I personally am indifferent on the subject.

nice, but It really depends on the chick... some find it a turn on, others find it a turn off, I personally am indifferent on the subject.

I was just being funny...I'm already married so I don't have to worry about it :p They just wanted to feel them....for some reason I think people expect them to be soft when they feel them.

I've seen a lot of people here ask how it happens and if it happens all at once...for me..the answer is no. This is my ear transforming over about 3 years of Jiu-Jitsu.

CauliflowerSequence-1.jpg

It happened piece by piece. One day after rolling a part ballooned up, shriveled then hardened..then months later another part...then another part etc until it looked like this. The last picture just happened about a week ago.

I was just being funny...I'm already married so I don't have to worry about it :p They just wanted to feel them....for some reason I think people expect them to be soft when they feel them.
Lol, It surprised me the first time when i felt my friend's cauliflower. I was expecting it to be flexible like the undamaged cartilage in your ear, but it wasn't....

Update since this thread popped up again... Some of it partially hardened in my ear, but its hardly noticeable at all.. here are some pictures I took at the peak, and after draining 2 1/2mLs out.... It definitely almost burst one one occasion. Never thought Id ever be so calm about jamming a needle in my ear...

DSCN0346.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

^ I wouldn't say "HARDLY" noticeable, lol..but definitely a lot better :p

I've seen a lot of people here ask how it happens and if it happens all at once...for me..the answer is no. This is my ear transforming over about 3 years of Jiu-Jitsu.

CauliflowerSequence-1.jpg

It happened piece by piece. One day after rolling a part ballooned up, shriveled then hardened..then months later another part...then another part etc until it looked like this. The last picture just happened about a week ago.

Damb... very cool pics. This just shows how once it starts, if you don't take care of it, it will just get bigger and bigger. It scared the hell out of me when i first started and got a little in my ear... I really should start wearing my headgear again consistently so this doesn't happen to me.

Back