1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by supertac, Apr 20, 2008.

1. GPTitle** Guest

Great and very informative thread. I've been training about 5 years and I've only ever had minor swelling on my ears and my right is a bit bigger than my left....but yesterday I had my left swell up at the top pretty big. Assuming I either pulled too hard escaping a guillotine or it got hit boxing after class. Doesn't look too bad or hurt too much but I hope it doesn't get bigger!

2. bjornvil Blue Belt

Keep draining and wear earguards while rolling.

I

3. GPTitle** Guest

So for the other guys that have it...I've been training for years but just recently became apparently less resistant to getting cauli.

I started draining...for the most part I was getting a good amount of blood and the ear would go back to semi normal. I can see a difference but nobody has noticed. Here is my question.

Today was my first time draining one of my ears in a while and the syringe was filled with yellow/clearish fluid and a bit of blood. Normal? Or should I be worried about infection?

4. SuperSuperRambo Steel Belt

Go to a doctor. It's probably nothing, but what the hell do we know?

5. imakeutap** Banned Banned

could also mean that your body killed off an infection that u never even felt but yeah id worry and watch out for other symptoms

6. POPPA ROTZEE Brown Belt

why was this never stickied?

7. FLoWitheGo** Banned Banned

My old wrestling coach used to tell me that cauliflower ears were like badges of honor. Luckily my ears aren't that bad, ones worse then the other but its not like sleeping on a rock.

8. GPTitle** Guest

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll just call my doctor and get him to send me in a prescription and take it to be safe...though from googling, what I have read is that if you drain right after impact, you usually get blood and if you wait, you get yellow/clearish solution. Today when I drained it had been sitting about 3 days in my ear.

Perhaps others have experienced this?

9. meehanstl Blue Belt

Thanks for the info bro

10. PoppaKyle White Belt

What happens if you dont do anything about it? It will just looked fucked up lol?

11. Mackavelli Purple Belt

Quick question, I got it on the tip of my ear about a few weeks ago, I didnt do anything about it becasue its barely noticeable. Yesterday I was playing with it and feeling it. It feels like theres an air bubble and its kind of soft. Afterwards it started hurting and hurt all night when i would turn on it. Does this mean I can still drain it? Or if not will it always hurt like this when aggravated?

12. imakeutap** Banned Banned

sounds like there is still time, just go to dr and pay the copay, if not insured, just cut off ear

13. vonmises6 Blue Belt

Who does not want the manly badge of cauliflower ear? You can buy a black belt and fake the funk hoping no one finds you out. But the mighty cauliflower ear with all its deformed glory must be earned!!!!! When mine starts coming in i will sport it like the warrior i am!!!!!!!!!!

Sarcasm

14. Mackavelli Purple Belt

Im not insured lol

15. GPTitle** Guest

Be a man and drain it

16. Challenger_USA Orange Belt

Great thread. I've been searching for a while on the internet and this is the best info on how to treat your cauliflower I've seen.

Just got a nasty blob on my ear that I need to get rid of.

17. POPPA ROTZEE Brown Belt

STICKY! Jeessush, there has to be a cauliflower thread in a grappling forum.

18. GPTitle** Guest

Man fuck...I'm going through 3 syringes a DAY on my ears.

19. easy tiger Blue Belt

Have you tried bolstering it somehow?

20. GPTitle** Guest

No...pretty much every day when I go to the gym it just puffs up regardless....sometimes I try to wait a couple days to drain but then it takes longer and it's harder to get out