1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by supertac, Apr 20, 2008.

1. James.Jitsu** Banned Banned

Sluts dig the Cauli

2. Calvo Purple Belt

3. codemonkey76 Black Belt

did you have it drained and bolstered?

4. pittfrog Blue Belt

I'd say either that, or someone is using his ear to hold wads of gum.

5. Calvo Purple Belt

He made two cuts into my ear and then bolstered it without closing it up. My cartridge was torn, so my ear was not going to stop swelling. It would randomly bleed that whole week after the surgery. Luckily for me I was on vacation that week and people in San Diego were freaked out about my ear.

I had it drained at least 4 times before I found the right doctor who could help me.

6. Eric Renzo NH Green Belt

One thing i know is some people are definately more vulnerable to it. I've been training BJJ for a little under 2 years. I constantly get hit in the ear and use a lot of low guard passes, lots of friction on my ears. I have some cauli but not a lot at all.

Then some new guy will start and get bumped on the ear once, not even that hard, and the next day his ear looks like he's been doing it forever.

7. Eric Renzo NH Green Belt

Most intelligent, relevant, and inciteful post of all time on sherdog. Well said my friend haha.

8. yea, one of our ast. instructors, a brown been training and teaching consistently for 8 years doesn't have a mark, while i been doing it for not even a year, and looks like my ears got used for a pit's chew toy

9. Newcastle Brown Belt

Why isn't this thread stickied yet? :icon_conf

10. Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

I already put Supertac's opening post in the Grappling FAQ, which is a sticky.

The problem is that nobody reads stickies.

11. Newcastle Brown Belt

Thanks for the clarification.

12. MMA954 Orange Belt

I finally got a syringe and I was able to drain my ear last night but this afternoon I noticed there is a little bit of fluid in my ear again. I thought I got it all out last night and my ear looked normal but now it seems to be starting over again and I haven't even trained in between? Is this common?

13. pittfrog Blue Belt

It's quite normal. The "bubble" on your ear will refill unless it's clamped or pressure bandaged, and sometimes even then. If you're bound and determined to do this yourself, you may have to drain it multiple times over the course of a week or more before it stops refilling. If you train/roll, it will refill more rapidly.

If you have good insurance, see a and ENT/plastic surgeon, and wear headgear.

14. Good post. I got cauliflower ear from wrestling when I was 8 and it pisses me off when I see retarded kids on the forum asking how they can get cauliflower ear so they can look "tuff"

15. infamous mattyd Brown Belt

just borrow one from a junkie

16. codemonkey76 Black Belt

they died???

17. pittfrog Blue Belt

Impetigo is not from headgear with f**king velcro , it's most likely from teenage wrestlers with less than optimal hygiene habits. Warning people off reasonable and prudent safety gear with ignorance is a large disservice to the newer readers of this board.

18. Yeah, this happens all the time. Make sure to compress at least for an hour or two after draining (I put gauze in my ear and run an ace bandage around my head and ear, while icing it through the bandage) and if in 1-2 days it's filled up, drain it again. It should be gone... till it gets crushed again. Just make sure not to drain it more than twice in a week and not more than 4 times in a month. The more you stick needles in your ear, the higher the risk of infection.

theneedlebeast.com is good... I ordered a box of 100 needles for $20. I should be plenty fine for the next 3 years.

19. MMA954 Orange Belt

Thanks for the heads up on how often to drain. I was thinking about ordering syringes online for future since it was such a pain to get the one I used.

20. MMA954 Orange Belt

By the way I used a 21 guage needle. It seemed pretty big what size did you order or would you recomend using?