The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

Ourphotos133.jpg

Ourphotos132.jpg

Ourphotos231.jpg

I'd say either that, or someone is using his ear to hold wads of gum.

did you have it drained and bolstered?

He made two cuts into my ear and then bolstered it without closing it up. My cartridge was torn, so my ear was not going to stop swelling. It would randomly bleed that whole week after the surgery. Luckily for me I was on vacation that week and people in San Diego were freaked out about my ear.

I had it drained at least 4 times before I found the right doctor who could help me.

One thing i know is some people are definately more vulnerable to it. I've been training BJJ for a little under 2 years. I constantly get hit in the ear and use a lot of low guard passes, lots of friction on my ears. I have some cauli but not a lot at all.

Then some new guy will start and get bumped on the ear once, not even that hard, and the next day his ear looks like he's been doing it forever.

One thing i know is some people are definately more vulnerable to it. I've been training BJJ for a little under 2 years. I constantly get hit in the ear and use a lot of low guard passes, lots of friction on my ears. I have some cauli but not a lot at all.

Then some new guy will start and get bumped on the ear once, not even that hard, and the next day his ear looks like he's been doing it forever.

yea, one of our ast. instructors, a brown been training and teaching consistently for 8 years doesn't have a mark, while i been doing it for not even a year, and looks like my ears got used for a pit's chew toy

Why isn't this thread stickied yet? :icon_conf

Why isn't this thread stickied yet? :icon_conf

I already put Supertac's opening post in the Grappling FAQ, which is a sticky.

The problem is that nobody reads stickies.

I finally got a syringe and I was able to drain my ear last night but this afternoon I noticed there is a little bit of fluid in my ear again. I thought I got it all out last night and my ear looked normal but now it seems to be starting over again and I haven't even trained in between? Is this common?

It's quite normal. The "bubble" on your ear will refill unless it's clamped or pressure bandaged, and sometimes even then. If you're bound and determined to do this yourself, you may have to drain it multiple times over the course of a week or more before it stops refilling. If you train/roll, it will refill more rapidly.

If you have good insurance, see a and ENT/plastic surgeon, and wear headgear.

Good post. I got cauliflower ear from wrestling when I was 8 and it pisses me off when I see retarded kids on the forum asking how they can get cauliflower ear so they can look "tuff"

What type of syringe should I use and how can I buy one? Is this something I can get by just walking into my local drug store or will they think I'm some kind of junkie?

just borrow one from a junkie

u do NOT want any type of velcro headgear unless ur washing it like a motherfucker everyday, all that dirt and sweat gets trapped in there and well rub on ur head/forehead constatly, we lost 3 kids on my wrestling team this year from impetigo

they died???

Impetigo is not from headgear with f**king velcro , it's most likely from teenage wrestlers with less than optimal hygiene habits. Warning people off reasonable and prudent safety gear with ignorance is a large disservice to the newer readers of this board.

I finally got a syringe and I was able to drain my ear last night but this afternoon I noticed there is a little bit of fluid in my ear again. I thought I got it all out last night and my ear looked normal but now it seems to be starting over again and I haven't even trained in between? Is this common?

Yeah, this happens all the time. Make sure to compress at least for an hour or two after draining (I put gauze in my ear and run an ace bandage around my head and ear, while icing it through the bandage) and if in 1-2 days it's filled up, drain it again. It should be gone... till it gets crushed again. Just make sure not to drain it more than twice in a week and not more than 4 times in a month. The more you stick needles in your ear, the higher the risk of infection.

theneedlebeast.com is good... I ordered a box of 100 needles for $20. I should be plenty fine for the next 3 years.

Yeah, this happens all the time. Make sure to compress at least for an hour or two after draining (I put gauze in my ear and run an ace bandage around my head and ear, while icing it through the bandage) and if in 1-2 days it's filled up, drain it again. It should be gone... till it gets crushed again. Just make sure not to drain it more than twice in a week and not more than 4 times in a month. The more you stick needles in your ear, the higher the risk of infection.

theneedlebeast.com is good... I ordered a box of 100 needles for $20. I should be plenty fine for the next 3 years.

Thanks for the heads up on how often to drain. I was thinking about ordering syringes online for future since it was such a pain to get the one I used.

By the way I used a 21 guage needle. It seemed pretty big what size did you order or would you recomend using?

Back