The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

I broke down and ordered head gear today. I don't plan on wearing it all the time, just when open rolling in class and whenever it's hurting me. Last night I had a guy who was about a hundred pounds over me, and I weigh 175, and he just grinds his arms into the side of my head everytime we roll. Have been draining like crazy all day and compression wrapping it. I don't mind a little bit but I don't want to look like Colossus if I ever have to go to another job interview.
Speaking of, what do you guys think the general population thinks when they see a guy with cauli?

I have a tiny little sore area on the side of my ear down near the earlobe, its been sore since I did no gi for the first time about two weeks ago, is this the start of cauliflower ear?

not that I really care either, I already look like an Orc from Lord of the Rings, but im used to having my ears rubbed and hit from playing years and years contact sports (rugby union), so will it take me longer to get it?

I have a tiny little sore area on the side of my ear down near the earlobe, its been sore since I did no gi for the first time about two weeks ago, is this the start of cauliflower ear?

not that I really care either, I already look like an Orc from Lord of the Rings, but im used to having my ears rubbed and hit from playing years and years contact sports (rugby union), so will it take me longer to get it?

You might not be as susceptible to getting cauliflower ear as others. I started getting mine after training for 5 months. Some guys told me they've been training for 2-3 years, and they still haven't gotten any. If your ear feels sore, it's probably the start of it. What'd you fight through a tight guillotine that day?

You might not be as susceptible to getting cauliflower ear as others. I started getting mine after training for 5 months. Some guys told me they've been training for 2-3 years, and they still haven't gotten any. If your ear feels sore, it's probably the start of it. What'd you fight through a tight guillotine that day?

we were actually fighting for grips and he clipped my ear a few times

Anybody can wear Tapout shirts and say they train but the ears say it all. You can't fake the ears. I get hit up at least once a day about my ears and they know I train. Its the "Mark of a Beast"

i noticed after last night that my ear is sore/painful. I have not fluid in there though...

Anybody can wear Tapout shirts and say they train but the ears say it all. You can't fake the ears. I get hit up at least once a day about my ears and they know I train. Its the "Mark of a Beast"

hahahaha I got the best of both worlds, I only have cauli on my right ear....so all I have to do is turn from right to left to go from Fighter to Model :p

hahahaha I got the best of both worlds, I only have cauli on my right ear....so all I have to do is turn from right to left to go from Fighter to Model :p

Hahaha. I'll just have to practice looking to my right all the time now.

i noticed after last night that my ear is sore/painful. I have not fluid in there though...

That's how mine started, first it was just a little sore, then it was a little swollen, then became really swollen. I say if there is any doubt, and you don't want cauliflower ear, wear headgear.

really? I thought that cauliflower happens quickly off of grinding or impact? My ears are not swollen. So I should expect them to gradually swell up?

Hey guys, so I had a pretty minor case of cauliflower ear that MAY have been initially hurt last Monday (not 100% sure), but was defenitly hurt last Friday (4 days ago). I had it drained by a nursing student, with 3 25g gauge needles, all near the swelling. Nothing came out when she aspirated all three times, except after the needle came out a bunch of fluid would come oozing out, she said some of it was clear but it was mostly blood. She then put pressure with her fingers to squeeze the stuff out all three times, and then put a compression bandage on, which I just took off now (24 hours later).

My ear looks a little bit better, but still not as "chisled" as my other ear, and has a pretty noticable bump where one of the injections went in. It's also a bit bruised near the injection sites. Any idea on if the swelling will go down more, or any other advice??

Honestly, the differences are minor, like I think the ear only looks weird when you compare it to the other one.

I hope I never get cauliflower ear. Some of my classmates are always bitching about it and how painful it is, like just driving in the car with the window down and having a breeze blow on it causes pain.

keep your ear compressed for a week. ice may also help, but constant compression is key. it will prevent it from filling back up. i personally recommend visiting the doctor asap.

as for how your ear looks, the cartilage has been smashed. it will not look like it used to. once it heals up, you will be able to feel the patches of clotting. it's depressing to accept, but the only other option is cosmetic surgery, which i'm actually planning on doing if i sustain cauliflower ear again (along with quitting bjj altogether). nothing's really worth the injuries for me, especially ones that leave disfigurement and/or impairment.

Okay, what I am trying to get answered then is this. if I keep on draining it every 2-3 days how many times before it stops? I've now drained it 3 times, and just don't want to be doing it forever. At the same time I work full time and i'm a nursing student and I think it looks really bad when you walk around the hospital with a poorly put together compression bandage over your head (I said nursing STUDENT, not a professional yet :p). Now you know why I am so concerned over how my ear looks, I'm around a bunch of hot young nurses all day haha.

Okay, what I am trying to get answered then is this. if I keep on draining it every 2-3 days how many times before it stops? I've now drained it 3 times, and just don't want to be doing it forever. At the same time I work full time and i'm a nursing student and I think it looks really bad when you walk around the hospital with a poorly put together compression bandage over your head (I said nursing STUDENT, not a professional yet :p). Now you know why I am so concerned over how my ear looks, I'm around a bunch of hot young nurses all day haha.

I drained it daily for about a month or so and then it stopped coming back so bad. I never put a compression bandage on after.

I hope I never get cauliflower ear. Some of my classmates are always bitching about it and how painful it is, like just driving in the car with the window down and having a breeze blow on it causes pain.

Its only midly painful while its soft. Nothing worse than the other aches and pains we have. It just sucks to sleep on for a week or so...or when you talk on the phone. Now mine is hard and there is no pain. The only problem is its not as flexible and I can't fold it down all the way like I can my other ear.

Back