Television The Anime and Manga Thread: v45

Looks like more and more Chinese and Korean Mangas and anime are becoming prominent. This is good for the industry. We'll have more work from creative minds in the future.

Looks like more and more Chinese and Korean Mangas and anime are becoming prominent. This is good for the industry. We'll have more work from creative minds in the future.
Over the last couple years my regular reading has shifted to be almost entirely Korean webtoons. It wasn't a conscious decision by any means, but that's where things have ended up. A quick look at my bookmarks and I think I'm down to only three Japanese series that update on a regular weekly schedule (Kingdom, Ippo, Monster #8) while there's more than 40 webtoons I follow that are weekly releases. There's a bunch of other Japanese manga that I also read, but they aren't weekly or the scanlation is spotty.

Over the last couple years my regular reading has shifted to be almost entirely Korean webtoons. It wasn't a conscious decision by any means, but that's where things have ended up. A quick look at my bookmarks and I think I'm down to only three Japanese series that update on a regular weekly schedule (Kingdom, Ippo, Monster #8) while there's more than 40 webtoons I follow that are weekly releases. There's a bunch of other Japanese manga that I also read, but they aren't weekly or the scanlation is spotty.

Yeah at this point the only Japanese Manga I care about weekly is One Piece , some other titles I just catch up. Ippo , Kengan Ashura. The Korean Manwha and Webtoon market has really taken off, but it's just scratching the surface considering a lot of those Webtoons haven't gotten the Anime adaptations yet. Tower of God and God of High School had good anime 1st seasons , and even though Solo Leveling Flopped in its finish, if a High Level Animation team gets a hold of Season 1 , it might be a Phenomenon

Last edited:
Any one watched Death Parade? is it worth a watch?

Well I'm about halfway through Death Parade, it's definitely different. I don't mind it. But it's quite strange lol.

Confession:
I love reading the weekly threads on /r/manga for the Rent a Girlfriend series

More enjoyable than reading the actual series

Could be cyclical. Japanese manga had its high point creatively and has been declining. Now other big nations (China/Korea) are up & coming.
Japanese manga had a golden age from 70s-90s and 00s to some extent. I imagine that the talent from those years is nowhere near the same as current generation.
The likes of Akira Toryama, etc. You don't find them these days.

I may be called a weeb but watching anime in Korean or mandarin does not appeal to me. As a language I find them unappealing to listen to.

I may be called a weeb but watching anime in Korean or mandarin does not appeal to me. As a language I find them unappealing to listen to.
Agreed. Chinese is just... at least for me... not a fun language to listen to.

Also, I finally bit the bullet and DL'd the Book Walker app and kind of hate how much I like it. Also, reading an LN I definitely feel a bit... too old for it (especially given the series I'm reading) but it feels like things adapted from an LN either change A LOT or don't change anything. It's weird.

Maybe koreans could give us new season of black lagoon or opm
Or Gangsta..... or Titty Bullet Dodge (HSotD)... or DMC...

"The little girl is bullying me!"
*later*
"Pedo-NEET"

Gangsta has no material Unfortunately
I'm a bit surprised the creator hasn't taken the route of giving the story via dictation to people for them to write/illustrate it.

I get not wanting to spend the last of your days working given she's, well... basically dying but still seems weird to not take that route when I'm sure she could.

So after going on a Jojo rewatch binge, I'm left kinda disappointed. Nothing compares to the sheer fun that is Jojo, the fights are also so much better than most other anime because of how strategic they are.

Araki needs to give another writer a chance to have another go at jojo. I wouldn't mind if they reuse or slightly modify some of the under utilised stands.

Yellow temperance, kraft work , the hand, bad company all awesome stands that you could have amazing fights with

I'm a bit surprised the creator hasn't taken the route of giving the story via dictation to people for them to write/illustrate it.

I get not wanting to spend the last of your days working given she's, well... basically dying but still seems weird to not take that route when I'm sure she could.
She's not dying, but she's not exactly living a great life either. She's got systemic lupus erythematosus. She's lost an eye and has paralyzed hands for a while and had to teach herself how to draw again. I imagine I'd find better things to do than draw if my hands didn't work lol.

Finished Anohana last night. This video was not wrong.

She's not dying, but she's not exactly living a great life either. She's got systemic lupus erythematosus. She's lost an eye and has paralyzed hands for a while and had to teach herself how to draw again. I imagine I'd find better things to do than draw if my hands didn't work lol.
I have it too.

My understanding is once you hit that stage where it's impacting your motor functions it's close to the "end" so to speak. In the US a lot of folks would end up in hospice care or something. She probably isn't in Japan cause their medical system is structured really well for people with terminal illnesses and debilitating ones like that, especially if she's in a major metro area.

So after going on a Jojo rewatch binge, I'm left kinda disappointed. Nothing compares to the sheer fun that is Jojo, the fights are also so much better than most other anime because of how strategic they are.

Araki needs to give another writer a chance to have another go at jojo. I wouldn't mind if they reuse or slightly modify some of the under utilised stands.

Yellow temperance, kraft work , the hand, bad company all awesome stands that you could have amazing fights with
Man, we have way different opinions on this. Just finished part 4 and had to fast forward at points because the writing was so bad.

Man, we have way different opinions on this. Just finished part 4 and had to fast forward at points because the writing was so bad.
Was it your first Jojo part? To each his own
but for me it's just so much fun it's not to be taken seriously or deeply I guess. It's purposefully over the top.

Back