Television The Anime and Manga Thread: v45

JBSchroeds

99 problems, and they're all turtles!
@Silver
Reaction score
Welcome to the Anime and Manga thread here in the mayberry. We've been an ongoing topic in this forum for more than a decade now. Feel free to talk about whatever you may be watching/reading, whether it be new or classic, manga or webtoon, all are welcome.

If you're new to the topic go check out Webtoons [LINK], it's all free and completely legal and fully licensed. Theres a lot of good stuff on there from both western and asian artists.

1k POSTS REACHED. NEW THREAD HERE. DO NOT NECRO!

Last edited:
Vegeta.god..jpg
Are you guys as pumped as I am for Vegeta's new God of Destruction form? Glad to see him finally going his own way vs being a step behind Goku, glad he didn't get UI

About to reread a master class manga again, Billy Bat by Urasawa Naoki and Nagasaki Takashi. For those of you who have never had the pleasure of reading this manga (or any other work by Urasawa) then you should make Billy Bat your next must read. It is a comic within a manga (and more), so get through chapter 1 as it leads into the real manga in chapter 2. Excellent stuff! As a manga fan, you owe it to yourself to dive in to Urasawa's work!!!
I feel Billy Bat wore out its welcome. I never finished it. After
they killed the main character and shifted to this other kid
I just couldn't care anymore. I thought we were finally headed to a conclusion at that point, but nope, it kept on meandering. By that point all the mystery was gone and I didn't care how it ended. Cared so little I never even looked up the ending after it was finished.

I'm probably the odd man out here, but I don't think I'd actively recommend a single one of Urasawa's works, and I've tried most of them. Great artist, very expressive and unique style, but the storytelling always ends up falling flat for me. Pluto is the only one of his series I've managed to read the whole way through and it's ending was so unsatisfying I don't even remember it.

My top manga ever in order
Yu-Yu-Hakusho.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2021%2F01%2Ftakehiko-inoue-slam-dunk-film-adaptation-manga-announcement-info-tw2.jpg

Top-10-Strongest-Hunter-x-Hunter-Characters-740x414.jpg

5ad5b539c5dcc-shaman-king

death-note-2-manga-anime-connections-1130222-1280x0.jpeg

honorable mention

Naruto, Berserk, Vagabond, Hoshin

I feel Billy Bat wore out its welcome. I never finished it. After
they killed the main character and shifted to this other kid
I just couldn't care anymore. I thought we were finally headed to a conclusion at that point, but nope, it kept on meandering. By that point all the mystery was gone and I didn't care how it ended. Cared so little I never even looked up the ending after it was finished.

I'm probably the odd man out here, but I don't think I'd actively recommend a single one of Urasawa's works, and I've tried most of them. Great artist, very expressive and unique style, but the storytelling always ends up falling flat for me. Pluto is the only one of his series I've managed to read the whole way through and it's ending was so unsatisfying I don't even remember it.

I believe that was done to keep in line with the conspiracy spanning all known history. It can't just all of a sudden stop, it has to go on with another, just as it did in the beginning chapters. 20th Century Boys was his other conspiracy manga, I enjoyed that as well. I did enjoy Pluto, it reminded be of Asimov's Robot novels.

Monster was another great detective manga by Urasawa, surprised you didn't find that enjoyable JB.

View attachment 873108
Are you guys as pumped as I am for Vegeta's new God of Destruction form? Glad to see him finally going his own way vs being a step behind Goku, glad he didn't get UI
WTF don't spoil it! Damn it they just need to restart the anime series again. Shouldn't they have enough content by now? I don't mind some canon filler mixed in it too.

I believe that was done to keep in line with the conspiracy spanning all known history. It can't just all of a sudden stop, it has to go on with another, just as it did in the beginning chapters. 20th Century Boys was his other conspiracy manga, I enjoyed that as well. I did enjoy Pluto, it reminded be of Asimov's Robot novels.

Monster was another great detective manga by Urasawa, surprised you didn't find that enjoyable JB.
I, in general, do not care for the suspense/mystery/crime/whodunit genre, regardless of medium. I have a limited amount of fucks to give, and simply cannot maintain interest in a mystery that's drawn out for 50+ chapters with little to no reveals or explanation along the way. After a while it becomes obvious the payoff cannot possibly live up to the time it takes to get there.

My top manga ever in order
Yu-Yu-Hakusho.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2021%2F01%2Ftakehiko-inoue-slam-dunk-film-adaptation-manga-announcement-info-tw2.jpg

Top-10-Strongest-Hunter-x-Hunter-Characters-740x414.jpg

5ad5b539c5dcc-shaman-king

death-note-2-manga-anime-connections-1130222-1280x0.jpeg

honorable mention

Naruto, Berserk, Vagabond, Hoshin
Shaman King in the top 5? That's got to be a nostalgia vote, right? Like, it was one of the first series you read and holds a special place in your heart?

View attachment 873108
I'm excited to see where they go with it, but I don't get why he had to lose his eyebrows? There are Gods of Destruction with eyebrows.

i'm actually reading domestic girlfriend under a theory that it might be the most misunderstood manga/anime of our era.

<{outtahere}>

Oh snap new thread already!

f3e153f38d22727ca8dc695abfc2b1a6.gif

Solo Leveling reaching the final stanza. Bloody awesome.

View attachment 873108

I have to wonder what the end game will be for Goku and Vegeta. They're already on track to be equal (if not already) stronger than the weakest GoDs. Will they eventually reach the levels of the Angel's? Possibly even Zenos guards or his prime Angel buddy?

I have to wonder what the end game will be for Goku and Vegeta. They're already on track to be equal (if not already) stronger than the weakest GoDs. Will they eventually reach the levels of the Angel's? Possibly even Zenos guards or his prime Angel buddy?
Just speculation on my part but if Goku and Vegeta fused now the resulting Vegeto/Gogeta form would have both the Angelic UI from Goku and the Ultimate Hakai GoD attacks from Vegeta, that possible could rival weaker Angels

Back