Television The Anime and Manga Thread: v45

recently watched Inuyashiki: Last Hero
nice quick anime to watch with a conclusion if anyone doesnt want to watch something too long. There's a live action version as well, obviously a lot more incomplete, and also a lot shorter.

It is in its depressive weird mood but otherwise not

Basically plot is underground cage/arena fighter ends up in middle of political crisis.

Imo its kinda closer to ergo proxy.in its vibe

Very good anime though

aiight. i liked ergo proxy (well, aside from the game show episode... dumping the plot exposition that way was... something).

Just realized that the Final Gintama movie is out. So far only got to watch the first 30 minutes, but looking forward to the closure.

Also I may have already asked this, but would you say it's worth watching Kingdom anime (I never read the manga)?

Just read that Jojolion (Jojo part 8) ended a couple days ago and part 9 is confirmed. Araki vampire status. To put it in perspective, Jojolion was like 10 chapters in when the anime first started

Gonna have to start reading it eventually, have like 10 different manga I’m part way through that I need to finish first. Most recently started reading Slam Dunk and enjoying it. I watched some of it long ago but forgotten it all besides them looking like they’re wearing knockoff Bulls jerseys so I’m mostly going in blind

aiight. i liked ergo proxy (well, aside from the game show episode... dumping the plot exposition that way was... something).
I remember first watching good old Ergo Proxy. Ending felt rushed and plot went to wtf.

Also it was pretty dark. Literally. Some scenes were hard to see. Needed more lighting.

Does it feel like there's just been a huge drop in quality in terms of anime in the past decade?

I feel like there's 2-3 great shows a year, with maybe one standing out. Megalo Box season 2 is a step down from the first and its just so boring. Dropped after 6 episodes in. Season 1 was amazing though. Maybe itll be better once I go in with a better mindset or mood.

AOT is still the GOAT, hurry up with the final season.

Tokyo Revengers has some damn great characters but the MC is maybe the biggest most pathetic lilttle bitch in the history of anime. They took the crying bitch MC character and turned it up to 11. I know its pandering to the loser kids trying to escape their boring lives but cmon man, atleast let the guy grow as a character. I like everything else though, except the pacing. I just want to see more fights.

Wen Kengan Asura season 3 ffs? Gimme some more baki, I just need to watch some 1 on 1 over the top action.

One of my guilty pleasures is the blue slime show, gonna wait for part 2 to finish. Just gives me that lovely nostalgic feeling that the Yotsuba manga used to give me nearly 2 decades ago.

Does it feel like there's just been a huge drop in quality in terms of anime in the past decade?

I feel like there's 2-3 great shows a year, with maybe one standing out. Megalo Box season 2 is a step down from the first and its just so boring. Dropped after 6 episodes in. Season 1 was amazing though. Maybe itll be better once I go in with a better mindset or mood.

Tokyo Revengers has some damn great characters but the MC is maybe the biggest most pathetic lilttle bitch in the history of anime. They took the crying bitch MC character and turned it up to 11. I know its pandering to the loser kids trying to escape their boring lives but cmon man, atleast let the guy grow as a character. I like everything else though, except the pacing. I just want to see more fights.

Wen Kengan Asura season 3 ffs? Gimme some more baki, I just need to watch some 1 on 1 over the top action.

One of my guilty pleasures is the blue slime show, gonna wait for part 2 to finish. Just gives me that lovely nostalgic feeling that the Yotsuba manga used to give me nearly 2 decades ago.

Personally dig late 90s to early 2000 cyberpunkish stuff most

Or stuff like gangsta or black lagoon

I strongly disagree. Off the top of my head, 4 of my top 10 anime of all time are from the 2010s (Hunter X Hunter, Madoka Magica, Kill La Kill, A Place Further Than the Universe). Admittedly, that's a bit stacked towards the beginning of the decade, but even just looking at this year there have been some great series released (Odd Taxi, 86, Re: Zero season 2, Zombieland Saga season 2, etc. I still haven't caught up on everything TBH). If nothing else, I'd definitely say the last decade has been better than the 2000s.

no way. at least, not in terms of quality.

code geass, clannad, gintama, even fma...
Code Geass and FMA:B (but definitely not the glorified fanfic that was 2003 FMA) are exceptions, as are Steins Gate, Spice and Wolf, Black Lagoon, and a few others, but yes, I would definitely say that the 2010s were a better decade for anime than the 2000s. Code Geass and FMA:B are the only 2000s anime that'd crack my top 10. If I were to rank decades, I'd say
1: 90s
2: 2010s
3/4: 2000s/ 80s tied

Code Geass and FMA:B (but definitely not the glorified fanfic that was 2003 FMA) are exceptions, as are Steins Gate, Spice and Wolf, Black Lagoon, and a few others, but yes, I would definitely say that the 2010s were a better decade for anime than the 2000s. Code Geass and FMA:B are the only 2000s anime that'd crack my top 10. If I were to rank decades, I'd say
1: 90s
2: 2010s
3/4: 2000s/ 80s tied

<Fedor23>

it might be a taste thing. i never wanted to watch hxh, can't take kill la kill seriously, thought madoka was "ehh," and didn't see the 4th you mentioned. as per above, i thought steins;gate sucked (loved it til about halfway...)... and also thought black lagoon sucked, too.

Yeah my personal GOAT is from that decade, hell maybe but the decade before litters my top 15 spot.
I strongly disagree. Off the top of my head, 4 of my top 10 anime of all time are from the 2010s (Hunter X Hunter, Madoka Magica, Kill La Kill, A Place Further Than the Universe). Admittedly, that's a bit stacked towards the beginning of the decade, but even just looking at this year there have been some great series released (Odd Taxi, 86, Re: Zero season 2, Zombieland Saga season 2, etc. I still haven't caught up on everything TBH). If nothing else, I'd definitely say the last decade has been better than the 2000s.

Thats a valid opinion, I think everything listed to me is mediocre, outside of HXH but thats my opinion and your's is just as valid

Btw forgot to say that youtube has all episodes of texnolyze

I really appreciate that Mercenary Enrollment doesn't drag shit out. The pacing never feels like it drags.

I think some years are better than others but generally there’s at least a fair amount of good anime every year, it may just not suit whatever your tastes may be. Thinking of my favorites off my head and I can think of plenty from this past decade or even last 5 years that I enjoyed and my #1 is from the 90s (Cowboy Bebop). Theres also a lot more of it broadcasted compared to the past so that could explain it too, there’s still gems but you just have to sift through a lot more bullshit now

I actually loved Megalobox S2 and thought it was better than the 1st, which I watched not too long before so it was fresh in my mind. I liked seeing Joe overcoming his addiction and piecing his life back together trying to make amends with the people in his life. Mac, a boxer who shows up in the 2nd half, had a great storyline around him as well.

Cant say anything about Tokyo Revengers (I know it’s really popular though) but looking at stuff that started airing in 2021 besides megalobox I liked Odd Taxi, 86, Wonder egg priority (rushed ending tho), Shadows House (which I haven’t really watched actually, but I’ve read a good chunk of it and it was good). Moriarty the Patriot is the only thing I’m currently watching and I really like it so far. To your eternity and Vivy Fluorite eyes song are also generally well regarded but they didn’t click with me as much personally compared to the others I mentioned. Jobless Reincarnation is as well but I didn’t care for it at all. Different strokes

Not watching anything currently airing though, reading a lot more manga instead. But with new seasons of Vinland Saga, Jojo, Demon Slayer, AOT like you said all confirmed and more on the horizon there’s enough to keep me interested

I think some years are better than others but generally there’s at least a fair amount of good anime every year, it may just not suit whatever your tastes may be. Thinking of my favorites off my head and I can think of plenty from this past decade or even last 5 years that I enjoyed and my #1 is from the 90s (Cowboy Bebop). Theres also a lot more of it broadcasted compared to the past so that could explain it too, there’s still gems but you just have to sift through a lot more bullshit now

I actually loved Megalobox S2 and thought it was better than the 1st, which I watched not too long before so it was fresh in my mind. I liked seeing Joe overcoming his addiction and piecing his life back together trying to make amends with the people in his life. Mac, a boxer who shows up in the 2nd half, had a great storyline around him as well.

Cant say anything about Tokyo Revengers (I know it’s really popular though) but looking at stuff that started airing in 2021 besides megalobox I liked Odd Taxi, 86, Wonder egg priority (rushed ending tho), Shadows House (which I haven’t really watched actually, but I’ve read a good chunk of it and it was good). Moriarty the Patriot is the only thing I’m currently watching and I really like it so far. To your eternity and Vivy Fluorite eyes song are also generally well regarded but they didn’t click with me as much personally compared to the others. Jobless Reincarnation is as well but I didn’t care for it at all. Different strokes

Not watching anything currently airing though, reading a lot more manga instead. But with new seasons of Vinland Saga, Jojo, Demon Slayer, AOT like you said all confirmed and more on the horizon there’s enough to keep me interested

A nice and well thought out response.

I wouldnt recommend Tokyo Revengers, if youre lookin for a great anime. Pacing is mediocre, and has some nice hype shonen moments. Theyre few and far inbetween the crying and nonsense. But its a show you can watch to see some mediocre action and some nice hype moments.

Ill give Megaloox S2 another go in the future. I never fucked with Cowboy Bebop on a first watch, but its easily a top 5 for me, and convinced me that shows I dont like on a first watch, maybe great on a second watch and a different mood. Stein's gate is another that I disliked at first but loved on a second watch.

wp-image-688375189.jpg

Is 1980's Transformers basically a copy of Gundamn?

Wikipedia says Gundamn started in 1979 and Transformers in 1984. I grew up in the 80's, but didn't hear about Gundamn until much later. The whole giant robot thing seems weirdly similar.

wp-image-688375189.jpg

Is 1980's Transformers basically a copy of Gundamn?

Wikipedia says Gundamn started in 1979 and Transformers in 1984. I grew up in the 80's, but didn't hear about Gundamn until much later. The whole giant robot thing seems weirdly similar.

Japan's been doing giant robots since the 50s. MSG was hugely influential and spawned in the "real robot" sub-genre, but saying Transformers is a copy of Gundam ignores the larger context of the genre and how Transformers even came about. Heroic robots fighting evil robots, transforming and combining, and bold primary colors were all staples well before Gundam. These things were incorporated into the Microman toyline that started in 1974 and its followup Diaclone line from 1980. These lines would be licensed by Hasbro as Transformers toys, which they then created a cartoon to promote the sales of the toys.

Japan's been doing giant robots since the 50s. MSG was hugely influential and spawned in the "real robot" sub-genre, but saying Transformers is a copy of Gundam ignores the larger context of the genre and how Transformers even came about. Heroic robots fighting evil robots, transforming and combining, and bold primary colors were all staples well before Gundam. These things were incorporated into the Microman toyline that started in 1974 and its followup Diaclone line from 1980. These lines would be licensed by Hasbro as Transformers toys, which they then created a cartoon to promote the sales of the toys.

Nice! I figured there was more to it...

Back