The 2018 Heavies Awards - Breakout Fighter of the Year - WINNER: Israel Adesanya

Breakout Fighter of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Izzy deserves it this year. 4:0 in the UFC. Went from nobody to a top 5 fighter fighter, basically a fight away from a title shot.
But, another name that I don't see mentioned much is Petr Yan. Former ACB bantamweight champion, currently 3:0 in the UFC. Dominated every single opponent he faces so far.
tumblr_pash3hpCET1rofocqo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He's gonna be on the list next year 4 sho

I'll need to go with Israel after the huge win against Brunson. Can't go against what Anthony Smith did, I got to give him n.2 with Zabit following behind. 2019 will be big years for Suarez and Pico if they keep on winning.

Zabit out of the options because he's capable everywhere in multiple facets of the game.

Most excited to see Zabit and Izzy.

But Smith's wins were perhaps the most impressive. KO'd Rashad and Shogun (not that impressive today, but it was in the first round) and then subbed Volkan. All within one year.
But - then again, he started 2018 with a TKO loss to Thiago Santos at MW.

Last edited:
IMO Tatiana is the only one who looked like she can beat the current champ in her next fight, so I'm going with her.

Anthony is the one who beat the higher ranked fighter though.

Tatiana Suarez won TUF in 2016. How on earth can she win breakout fighter of the year?

For PFL, Schulte arguably deserves the nod more than any of the tournament winners.
Suarez on this list is a joke

Israel seems the obvious choice, made his UFC debut in 2018, had a total of 4 fights that year and rose to the top 10.

I feel like I have to give it to Anthony Smith though. Every fight seems to be one he wasn't supposed to win, yet he pulled it off every time.

was gonna go with the easy choice in style bender but honestly i've been more impressed with pico. not to diminish adesanya in any way, he's been incredibly active and successful for a ufc rookie but for me pico came more out if left field...

To anyone doubting that Smith is among the top breakout fighters of the year, look no further: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jo...-vs-Anthony-Smith-in-UFC-235-Headliner-147855

Solely on his accomplishments in 2018, Anthony Smith went from a former SF guy that washed out once in the UFC to earning a title shot against Jon Jones. It's a lot like Volkan's 2017 story, from a Bellator castout to a UFC contender in one short year.

Pico is a year away. Israel hasn't always looked great, and I don't think he's ready to beat top competition until he is more consistent. Zabit should be the pick here.

Smith isn't a bad pick either. But at his age he's a better fit for a comeback fighter than "breakout."

smith for me. nobody to title shot in a year, nough said.

Israel and it isn't even close.

If Zabit beats someone remotely good, then we'll talk. Sorry, Im not impressed by dcisions over Kyle Bochniak and finishes of Brandon Davis.

All had an amazing year... Hard not to pick Smith. Not sure you could even call him gatekeeper at 185, but now... depending on the Jones situation will be fighting for the strap....

But going with Israel... dude stole the Matrix password from Silva and is going to use it on the legend...

Hmmm...
MMA Junkie's choice wasn't even on our list of candidates.

Last edited:
Who else but Israel Adesanya
This guy made his UFC debut in 2018 and fought 4 years!!
And in the space of the year from he has came from being relatively unknown to being one of the most hyped and exciting UFC fighters who is a fight or 2 away from a title shot

Ray Cooper.. that's funny. I was just wondering the other day whether he's a tremendous breakout or Shields is a breakdown (as I haven't watched either of those fights or any other PFL events).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back