The 2018 Heavies Awards - Breakout Fighter of the Year - WINNER: Israel Adesanya

Breakout Fighter of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In 2018 it's got to be Khabib for becoming a global phenomenon. And I think Nunes did something which she shouldn't have been able to do.

Volkan was ranked 2 and coming off a title fight, and Shogun was 8 when Smith beat them.

Meanwhile, Brunson was 6 and Tavares was 8 when Adesanya schooled them.

Smith did lose, but moved up in weight to turn into something else. Smith may potentially fight for a belt next, depending on what Jones does, whereas Adesanya still has to get through another fighter (Anderson Silva) for a title shot.

It was a tough call.

Because LHW is a wasteland. Smith hasn't actually improved a whole lot, he's just fighting worse fighters and older fighters. Thiago Santos would still wash him in a rematch for example. As would guys like Rockhold and Romero if they decided to move up. I give Smith credit for being the first MW to see the avenue that was open with the disintegration of the LHW division but beating higher ranked fighters doesn't mean you're fighting better fighters

Rankings aside Brunson and Tavares are better fighters than Volkan and 2018 Shogun and Adesanya never had the difficulty with them that Smith had with Volkan

Basically Anthony Smith being a top LHW says infinitely more about the state of LHW than it does about the ability of Anthony Smith

Some young, up and comer just won by armbar last year against Nick Barnes. We'll see how he develops.

Any answer other than Izzy Styles is incorrect.

tumblr_pbvkusOvio1r7vh24o1_540.gif

Isreal easy...

greg-hardy-contender-series-16.jpg

3-0 in 2018. All wins by KO in under a minute. How is he not on the poll?

All good nominees. It was between Israel and zabit for me. I chose Israel

Where's Petr Yan? The guy fought in the UFC 3 times and went from a promising prospect to a potential title contender. Excellent technique and entertaining fighting style. I would like an option "Other (specify in the comment section)" in this poll.

Breakout Star... besides Kevin Holland, right?

Where's Petr Yan? The guy fought in the UFC 3 times and went from a promising prospect to a potential title contender. Excellent technique and entertaining fighting style. I would like an option "Other (specify in the comment section)" in this poll.

While skill-wise he's truly something special, he hasn't exactly been getting a ton of media attention.

While skill-wise he's truly something special, he hasn't exactly been getting a ton of media attention.
I'd have to agree with you there. "Breakout" doesn't mean just winning fights, it means all that comes with emerging as a talent or force in the division. Smith sounds like he'll be fighting for the belt next. Adesanya is one win away. Pico exploded. Cooper was all PFL could talk about (seriously, watch the tape, they did not even bother to introduce his opponent in the finals in the promos). Suarez ravaged a former champ. Zabit put the stretch on someone.

All moments in the sport where people said "wow, get a load of this guy/girl."

Going to have to give this some thought before I vote.

Tatiana Suarez: 7-0, 2-0 in 2018
UFC

Wins in 2018: Alexa Grasso (Sub), Carla Esparza (TKO)
tatiana-suarez-ufc-fight-night-120-1.jpg

tatiana-suarez-chile-highlight.gif

I would have Zhang Weili over Suarez personally.

Tatiana's won TUF in 2016.. I know this was her first year with a couple of wins, but I would have Weili myself.

People knew what to expect from Tatiana after tuf, this year was expected really, Zhang on the other hand, most of the people who dont follow wmma had no idea who she was till she beat the crap out of JAG

Tatiana Suarez won TUF in 2016. How on earth can she win breakout fighter of the year?

yup, this is why of the girls i would choose Zhang

Israel gonna cruise to win this one...

Smith, and Zabit make a good discussion for 2md place though.

I'd tend to agree since Magomedkerimov went 5-0 this year and beat Cooper in the finals, but people still don't know his name. The stories aren't really focused on Magomedkerimov winning, and instead about Cooper losing. It's really quite bizarre.
So that's the reason to pick breakthrough fighter of the year?

Easy Izzy.

He's the future GOAT.

Already top 5 MW ever skillwise & striking-wise.

Easily Adesanya. No question.

Adesanya easily for me. 15-0, 4-0 says it all.

Back